Map of Governor Grey's expedition to the south-east of South Australia in April and May 1844, and was drawn by Thomas Burr (Deputy Surveyor General). It shows places that Governor Grey names on this trip: Lake George and Lake Eliza (May 1), Lake Frome and Lake Bonney (May 4), and Mount Burr (May 7). It also marks the location of the expedition's depot (set up on May 3). Thomas Burr's journal of the trip was published in the 'Southern Australian', 18 June 1844, p. 3. Governor Grey's despatch to Colonial Secretary Lord Stanley, dated 22 June 1844, includes an expedition map and identifies fellow expeditioner Thomas Burr as it author (South Australian Gazette and Colonial Register, 10 October 1846, p. 3.). Burr likely made several map copies in 1844, of which this is one. This copy is stamped 'South Australian Company' with the date 4.6.45. Map place names: [Bonney's Water-holes], The Coorong, Granite Rock, Lacepede Bay, Ross's Creek, Mount Benson, Guichen Bay, Lake Hawdon, Lake Eliza, Lake George, Cape Martin, Rivoli Bay, Cape Lannes, Lake Frome, Lake Bonnery, Cape West Banks, Cape Northumberland, River Glenelg, Mount Schanck, Mount Gambier, Mount Burr, and the 'Overland Track to Port Phillip' (shown in red ink). Some parts of Coorong coastline missing from map. Ink and watercolour wash on paper, ink notation (paper cleaned but showing residual discolouration; backing sheet buckled where top left hand fragment of map is fixed). Scale 8 miles to 1 inch.