Find • flag • Results 301 to 330 of 1,136

King William Street, Adelaide

King William Street, Adelaide

[General description] A crowd lines the footpath and centre of King William Street, some perching on top of the W. Puplett & Co. building to catch a glimpse of the Duke of Edinburgh. The street has been decorated with flags and bunting for the occasion. W. Puplett started trading in these premises mid 1867. [On back of photograph] 'Acres 140 and 171 / King William Street, west side / Duke of Edinburgh's visit / presented by Miss H.M. Dorman'.

King William Street

King William Street

[On back of photograph] 'King William St., looking south from Waymouth St., Nov.1, 1867, on the occasion of the laying of the foundation stone of the Victoria Tower (G.P.O.).' [General description] This office was performed by the Duke of Edinburgh during the first royal visit to Australia. The huge stone of Macclesfield marble (two metres long and 70cm high) can be seen today on the King William St frontage. This rather blurred view shows crowds of people in the street, especially concentrated around the G.P.O. site. Temporary seating, decorated with greenery, has been installed against the Town hall and the buildings opposite. Flags and bunting are everywhere.

King William Street, Adelaide

King William Street, Adelaide

General description] A festive atmosphere prevails as a large crowd has gathered to see Prince Edward at the Town Hall which is decorated with flags and bunting. Soldiers are lined up along both sides of the street and mounted army and police (on their greys) are present. [On back of photograph] 'Acres 203, 236 / King William Street, east side / Prince Edward's visit / 1920 / The Prince's arrival at the Town Hall where an address of welcome was presented / July 12, 1920'.

King William Street

King William Street

King William Street looking south, November 1, 1867. Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburghs visit. Ceremony of laying of the foundation stone at Victoria Tower at the General Post Office. Grand stands have been erected to house the crowds. Flags and garlands line the way of the royal party

German Club Band

German Club Band

ACRE 207: Members of the German Club Band; musicians sit in their places with musical instruments in the German Club Hall, located in Pirie Street. Flags are draped on the walls and a small stage at the rear has a painted backcloth depicting a German rural scene.

Flinders Street, Adelaide

Flinders Street, Adelaide

Flinders Street, Adelaide, looking west from Ackland Street. [Note the "A" on the post Office flag. This fixes the date as subsequent to 1877, when the Western Australia to South Australia telegraph line was opened.] The near side of the two storey houses on the right is 76 yards west of Ackland Street and the cottage on the extreme left is 55 yards west of Ackland Street.

King William Street

King William Street

King William Street during the visit of the visit of Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh on November 1, 1867. The buildings in King William Street have been decorated with flags and garlands. The Town Hall tower is still without its clock

Franklin Street, South Side, Adelaide

Franklin Street, South Side, Adelaide

[General description] This view of the new Adelaide Motors Limited building has been taken from the opposite side of the street with the road in the foreground. It has two storeys with a wide cantilever verandah and a decorative parapet featuring a flag advertising Fiat motor vehicles. The lower storey has a driveway entrance for cars. [On back of photograph] 'Acre 264 / Franklin Street, south side / May 3, 1928 / Adelaide Motors' premises erected in 1927 in front of a two story house, for a photo of which see B 4122 / Site of new building: Right side is 25 yards east of Young Street / Frontage: 11 and a half yards'.

Franklin Street

Franklin Street

Franklin Street, south side, 22nd February 1954, left side of Faraway House abuts the west side of Trades Hall Lane. Frontage: 9 yards. This building was remodelled from a former structure on the site and completed in 1952. For the building prior to alterations see B13021. In this photograph taken in 1954 Faraway House is festooned with Union Jack Flags possibly in preparation for the Royal Visit the following month

Brown Street, Adelaide

Brown Street, Adelaide

[General description] Motors Limited building with flags flying and cars parked in front and on the roof. An awning shades some of the windows. [On back of photograph] 'Acre 328 / Brown Street, west side, 20 January 1961 / Right side of Motors Limited building is 37 yards south of Grote Street / Frontage is 35 yards / For view of the rest of this building see B 14420 / For view of this building in 1954 see B 12954'

Gouger Street

Gouger Street

Gouger Street, south side, March 29th 1954, frontage of Solomons building is 9 3/4 yards. Left side of Solomon's building abuts west side of Mill Street. For a view of this building after alterations completed in 1957 see B 13882. A new facade covered this handsome building which supplied furniture and suites to Adelaide. Flags still covered the building after the Royal Visit a week before

Compton Street

Compton Street

Compton Street, west side, 11th September 1962, right side of centre shops is 72 yards south of Gouger Street and frontage is 6 yards. The shops in the centre of the photograph were once a refrigeration business and next door was the Compton Meat Shop. In the distance a Union Jack flag is flying from a building in Gouger Street

Halifax Street

Halifax Street

Halifax Street, south side, 20th March 1964, left side of the building is 97 yards west of Hallett Street and frontage is 11 yards. The Halifax-Gilles Street site was used as a refuse destructor for Adelaide. The machinery was capable of incinerating 60 tons of refuse a day. The complex also included a clinker and mortar mill, flag making plant, hydraulic tin-balling press, a ten ton weighbridge and a steam disinfector. In 1952 the land fill refuse was moved to Wingfield and the Halifax Street site continued to be used as a Council works depot until the 1990s.

O'Connell Street

O'Connell Street

O'Connell Street during an event in 1901-02. Armed soldiers can be seen lining the street and blocking side streets. Beyond a tram a procession of people on horseback can be seen moving north. A few flags are flying from verandahs.

Adelaide From River Torrens

Adelaide From River Torrens

View of Adelaide from the River Torrens. Original held by the Art Gallery of South Australia. Notes on the back of the photograph of the sketch read "Adelaide from the northern bank of the River Torrens. Probably 1843 to 1849. Reproduced from a water colour by Robert Davenport in the Art Gallery. The bridge on the left was situated about 200 yards east of the present Morphett Street bridge. Very close to it was the ford, where the bullock drays crossed at such times as the bridge was out of repair and where the carters used to fill their barrels for domestic consumption. The flag staff on the left stood at the entrance to Government House grounds, which in the forties bulged across what is now King William Road. It stood on what would now (1936) be the middle of King William Road. The slate roofed, one storey building three inches from the left of picture is the first Legislative Council Chamber (built in 1843). It stood on the north side of North Terrace, close to what would now (1936) be the entrance to the Railway Station. The rather imposing building one inch to the right of the Council Chamber is the Bank of South Australia. Towards the left of the picture can be seen the quarry from which limestone was blasted for the public buildings. The picture shows the two roads which approached the bridge and ford from South Adelaide: one from Morphett Street and the other from King William Street.

Adelaide Oval

Adelaide Oval

Adelaide Oval in use during the Duke of Gloucester's visit in October 1934 showing part of the Public Schools demonstration. The centre of the oval is filled with precise lines of sports clad students. The route the royal car is taking is lined by Naval cadets and public spectators waving flags.

Botanic Gardens

Botanic Gardens

Botanic Gardens showing members of the Ladies Boating Club season 1895-96. Photographed on the south bank of the Torrens, east of the Morphett Street Bridge. The ladies are wearing a uniform consisting of straw boater hats with hatbands, white blouses, neck ties, long skirts and are sitting in the reeds on the bank of the River Torrens. They are holding two club flags.

Cheer Up Hut

Cheer Up Hut

[General description] This large room has tables laid for a meal with 'helpers' (ladies in long white dresses including a nun-like veil) standing by. Photographs of dignitaries line the walls and there is a stage draped with an Australian flag. On the stage is a piano and a phonograph. See B 5504 for a brief description of the Cheer Up Society. [On back of photograph] 'Cheer Up Hut, Adelaide / 18th December 1919'.

City Baths, Adelaide

City Baths, Adelaide

[General description] The pool at the Adelaide City Baths has been drained to create a stadium. The area is roofed with flags hanging from the rafters, and there is a skylight. [On back of photograph] 'Interior of AdelaideCity Baths interior / The men's pool arranged as a wrestling stadium / 1938 / Reproduced in the News, September 3rd, 1938'.

East Terrace

East Terrace

East Terrace looking south from a point a little north of Rundle Street during the first visit of the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York in 1901. The royal couple were representing Albert Edward, Prince of Wales and Alexandra who were preparing for the coronation following the death of Queen Victoria in 1901. The Duke and Duchess were visiting Australia to open the first Federal Parliament in Melbourne. A large set of three arches has been built across East Terrace and festooned with greenery. Flags, streamers and greenery hang above the street. A grandstand has been erected in the parklands to view of the Royal Couple.

Exhibition Building

Exhibition Building

[General description] Exhibition Building, North Terrace.This two storeyed building was built in a formal classical style with stucco decorations. The imposing dome crowned the centre section. Flags fly from the roof. It was demolished in 1962. [On back of photograph] Exhibition Building, North Terrace. Probably in the eighteen eighties or nineties.

Exhibition Building

Exhibition Building

[General description] This view looks along the centre aisle to the stage. This large airy space has decorative iron lace balconies and window panels, with murals adorning the ceiling, from which electric pendant lights hang. Flags and bunting have been added for the occasion. [On back of photograph] 'Interior of the Exhibition Building (North Terrace) / Decorated for the Chamber of Manufactures Century Exhibition / 1900'.

Government House

Government House

[General description] Looking down on Government House and its garden from a building on North Terrace. The Union Jack is flying from a flag pole and the gatehouse guards the house and grounds. On King William Road the triple fronted building housing the Swimming Baths can be seen. The Rotunda stands in Elder Park and the steeples of North Adelaide can be seen above the trees. [On back of photograph] 'North Adelaide and Government House. Government Domain and City Road'.

Government House

Government House

[General description] This view, criss-crossed by utility wires, shows that there is a function on at Government House where the flag flies proudly at the flagstaff. A small crowd has assembled at the gates where two Police Greys stand at attention. Horse drawn vehicles appear in the foreground. [On back of photograph] 'Government House entrance gates and lodge / About 1896'.

Rundle Street

Rundle Street

Rundle Street during the first visit of the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York in 1901. The royal couple were representing Albert Edward, Prince of Wales and Alexandra who were preparing for the coronation following the death of Queen Victoria in 1901. The Duke and Duchess were visiting Australia to open the first Federal Parliament in Melbourne. In the photograph the bunting and flags which decorated Rundle Street can be seen along with the along with Adelaide well wishers.

Jervois WIng Basement

Jervois WIng Basement

Jervois Wing basement scene during renovations for the Mortlock Library. Photograph taken in 1985 of the south end of the basement level looking southwest after the break-up of the previous asphalt topping over the slate flags forming the floor - edge visible in left foreground.

Jervois WIng Basement

Jervois WIng Basement

Jervois Wing basement scene during renovations for the Mortlock Library. Photograph taken in 1985 of the basement showing excavation of a drainage trench confirming the construction of the original floor as being of slate flags.

Jervois Wing Basement

Jervois Wing Basement

Jervois Wing basement scene during renovations for the Mortlock Library. South end of basement looking east in 1985 showing the reinforcing for the concrete topping over the original slate flags and repointing of the walls. The reinforcing is lying on the top of Forticon membrane.

North Terrace near Gawler Place

North Terrace near Gawler Place

North Terrace, looking west from Kintore Avenue. A contingent from the Light Horse Regiment can be seen in the parade which is being watched by a crowd of spectators. Some of these are taking advantage of the balconies and roof tops along North Terrace. A Union Jack flag flies from the tallest building.

Adelaide Railway Station

Adelaide Railway Station

[General description] Flags and bunting decorate the Adelaide Ralway Station building. Cavalry and Infantry are lined up and an officers on horseback salute the Royal couple as they prepare to enter an open carriage drawn by two grey horses. In the background the Houses of Parliament can be seen (left and centre) and in the centre right is the South Australian Hotel. [On back of photograph] 'Arrival of the Duke of York at the Adelaide Railway Station / 1901'.