Find • flag • Results 331 to 360 of 1,136

School of Mines

School of Mines

School of Mines, North Terrace, north side. This was established in 1889 in the Exhibition Building and later moved to the Brookman Building on the corner of North Terrace and Frome Road. The University and the School of Mines arranged a reciprocal relationship in 1889 where the two institutions combined their teaching powers and laboratories to provide educational instruction. The Brookman Building featured a central crenellated tower and marble steps and flaggings in the front entrance and staircase.

School of Mines

School of Mines

School of Mines, North Terrace, north side. This was established in 1889 in the Exhibition Building and later moved to the Brookman Building on the corner of North Terrace and Frome Road. The University and the School of Mines arranged a reciprocal relationship in 1889 where the two institutions combined their teaching powers and laboratories to provide educational instruction. The Brookman Building featured a central crenellated tower and marble steps and flaggings in the front entrance and staircase.

Regatta on the Torrens River

Regatta on the Torrens River

Regatta on the Torrens : 17 December 1910. The photograph is captioned "Henley-on-Torrens" 17.12.10. It shows a crowded riverbank watching a race between coxed fours. The event is being held outside the Adelaide Rowing Club and shows Parliament House in the background on the left. Flags and pennants fly from the club rooms. This event was the first Henley-on-Torrens and was the brainchild of Adelaide Rowing Club man Doswell. Adelaide City Council were convinced to sponsor the event which provided a carnival atmosphere complete with drinks. food and side shows.

Regatta on the Torrens River

Regatta on the Torrens River

Regatta on the Torrens : 17 December 1910. The photograph is captioned "Henley-on-Torrens" 17.12.10. It shows a crowded riverbank watching an array of rowing boats on the River. The event is being held outside the Adelaide Rowing Club and shows various building along King William Road in the background. Flags and pennants fly from the club rooms. This event was the first Henley-on-Torrens and was the brainchild of Adelaide Rowing Club man Doswell. Adelaide City Council were convinced to sponsor the event which provided a carnival atmosphere complete with drinks. food and side shows.

Torrens Rowing Club premises

Torrens Rowing Club premises

Torrens Rowing Club premises - Erected 1932/3; opened about February 1933. The rowing club is flanked on either side by other rowing clubs. This photograph shows the rowers and onlookers at a regatta on the banks of the River Torrens. Numerous flags are flying and rowers wearing white shorts can be seen.

Queen of the South

Queen of the South

Steamer Queen of the South at Clayton. Possibly the inaugural voyage of the steamer. Dignitaries can be seen on board and on the jetty. The steamer is adorned with nautical flags from her two masts.

"Annie M. Reid" at anchor

"Annie M. Reid" at anchor

"Annie M. Reid" at anchor, Port Adelaide. This vessel was launched in 1892 and named the "Howard D Troop" and was renamed the "Annie M. Reid" in 1912. It made a record sailing from Montevideo to Adelaide in November 1912. [ex 'Howard D Troop' q.v. for full details. Under US flag US OF212573, 2165g, 2079n. Owner J Rolph jnr. registered San Francisco]. She was broken up at Alameda, San Francisco in 1935

J. McD. Stuart Expeditions

J. McD. Stuart Expeditions

Planting the flag on the shores of the Indian Ocean.

J. McD. Stuart Expeditions

J. McD. Stuart Expeditions

The flag of John McDouall Stuart and party.

Bill Mayman

Bill Mayman

PORTRAIT: Bill Mayman, a football player recruited from Kalgoorlie in Western Australia, who captained Sturt during 1913-15 and 1919 and led the club to its first and second flags.

Prince of Wales visit, 1920

Prince of Wales visit, 1920

ACRE 203: Flags and bunting flying in King William Street near Adelaide Town Hall in honour of the Prince of Wales state visit to South Australia in 1920.

Street decoration in Adelaide

Street decoration in Adelaide

GENERAL: Flags and bunting decorating a street in Adelaide during the visit of the Prince of Wales to South Australia in 1920.

John Martin's store decorated for VE Day, 1945

John Martin's store decorated for VE Day, 1945

ACRE 41: The premises of John Martins department store decorated with flags and bunting to celebrate Victory in Europe Day in May 1945.

Australia Day celebrations, 1917

Australia Day celebrations, 1917

GENERAL: A group of men, women, and young people dressed in costume and holding flags to celebrate Australia Day which was held on July 27 in 1917; names recorded on the verso of original are as follows: Mr. Rawlings; Arch Vivian; Giff Norman; Gill Jones; Les Norman; Keith Le Cornu; Max Nairne; L. Le Cornu; G. Hounslow; E. Wiltshire; J. Nairne; Jo Woodard; K. Nairne; M. Morris; Mrs Heron; Miss Noods; D. Robinson; G. Wiltshire; Mr. Allen; M. Wiltshire; B. Barrett; S. Wiltshire; P. Prideaux; H. Jennings; Frank Scrutton; Bill Nairne.

Reception at the Adelaide town hall

Reception at the Adelaide town hall

GENERAL: Sir Day Bosanquet, Governor of South Australia, standing fourth from the right, front row, presiding at a reception held in the main auditorium of the Adelaide town hall which is decorated with lights, flags, and foliage.

Pierrots in Rundle Street, Adelaide

Pierrots in Rundle Street, Adelaide

GENERAL: A troupe of entertainers dressed as pierrots collecting money for fund raising purposes during World War I as they entertain crowds of spectators from the back of a wagon in Rundle Street, Adelaide; well known fund raiser in Adelaide, Sammy Lunn, stands holding a small flag at the side of the wagon, looking up to the camera.

State visit street decoration

State visit street decoration

GENERAL: Flags, a large welcome sign, and the Prince of Wales plumes decorate a building in Adelaide during the visit of the Prince of Wales to South Australia.

Welcome arch for the Prince of Wales

Welcome arch for the Prince of Wales

GENERAL: Welcome arch for the Prince of Wales during his visit to Adelaide, it says 'Welcome to Our Digger Prince' and is lined with flags.

The Bank of Thrift

The Bank of Thrift

NORTH TERRACE: The Bank of Thrift erected at the entrance to Government House, decorated with flags and streamers and with a sign that says 'Viva La France'. Bank of Thrift was re-decorated for the 1918 visit of General Pau from France.

Church organ

Church organ

ACRE 232: Interior view of Scots Church, the Presbyterian Church in Flinders Street showing the large organ above the altar; the flags hanging either side have names inscribed, possibly of men who died in World War I.

SANFL 1997 Premiership

SANFL 1997 Premiership

GENERAL: Members of the Norwood football team on a victory lap of Football Park after defeating Port Adelaide in the SANFL 1997 Premiership final, 5 October 1997. Brett James; Glenn Molloy (wearing a tee-shirt and holding a flag); Andrew Pascoe; Lachlan Bowman; Anthony Harvey (acting Captain); Simon Eastaugh; Troy Clements (no 25).

European War troops at Port Adelaide

European War troops at Port Adelaide

Troops returning from service in WWI, waiting with their families to disembark from a returning troop ship. Sammy Lunn on the dock waving a flag.

Returning troops at Port Adelaide

Returning troops at Port Adelaide

Troops returning from service in WWI, waiting with their families to disembark from a returning troop ship. Sammy Lunn can be seen on the right of the dock, standing to the left of the flags, with his right arm raised.

Nurses at a function

Nurses at a function

GENERAL: A function in a flag bedecked hall involving a group of thirty nurses, a musical trio is on a stage and other guests sit at small tables.

Boys dressed as sailors and men in naval uniform

Boys dressed as sailors and men in naval uniform

GENERAL: Studio view of boys dressed as sailors grouped with two young men in naval uniform; the boys hold sabres and flags.

Hut at Atlas Cove, Antarctic

Hut at Atlas Cove, Antarctic

GENERAL: The hut at Atlas Cove, Heard Island, used by members of the B.A.N.Z. Antarctic Research Expedition, 1929-31. Men are working outside and the Union Jack flag flies nearby. According to his daughter, Eric Douglas says on the back of his copy of the print "Scientific party ashore at Heard Island - an old Norwegian Hut - Nov 1929".

Adelaide Peace Day parade

Adelaide Peace Day parade

Adelaide Peace Day parade. The Chronicle newspaper 26 July 1919 reported "Mr. S. Lunn came in the wake of the veterans, bearing a large Australian flag, and two attendants carried (on his behalf) a decorative streamer with the words, 'Sammy's wish, peace at last". Samuel 'Sammy' Lunn, M.B.E., was a successful fundraiser for patriotic funds during WWI.

'Aldersgate' a residence in Blackwood

'Aldersgate' a residence in Blackwood

BLACKWOOD: "Aldersgate", residence of the Magarey family, the flag flies at halfmast.

Decorated V.A.D. Board Room at Keswick

Decorated V.A.D. Board Room at Keswick

KESWICK: The V.A.D. Board Room at Keswick decorated with flags and a Welcome Home notice.

Teacher and children at a Kindergarten

Teacher and children at a Kindergarten

GENERAL: A line-up of children at Kindergarten by a teacher playing a piano; one little girl is holding a large flag. Possibly at Halifax Street Kindergarten School.