Find • moonta • Results 1 to 30 of 840

Wallaroo and Moonta Mining and Smelting Company Limited : SUMMARY RECORD

Records of Wallaroo and Moonta Mining and Smelting Company Limited comprising Wallaroo Mines minute books, 1860-1891, and outward letter books, 1860-1882; Moonta Mines minute books, 1861-1891, and outward letter books, 1863-1869; minute books of the joint company, 1890-1923, annual, general and half-yearly meetings minute book, 1890-1923; annual reports and statements of accounts, 1890-1923; deeds of settlement & co-partnership, 1861-1889; statistical tables, 1860-1923; reports, 1871-1872; appeal to the Privy Council 1914; history of the company c.1890-1922; annual reports of Moonta Mining Company, 1861-1873, 1889; reports relating to amalgamation, 1889; agreement document of amalgamation of Wallaroo and Moonta companies as the Wallaroo and Moonta Mining and Smelting Company Limited (formerly A 750); blueprints for the Wallaroo Mines plants, 1916-1919; photographs of the Wallaroo Mines c. 1914-1920.

Moonta Mines views

Moonta Mines views

Views of Moonta Mines mine areas and township (captions as written in white ink on frames). See 'Contents' note for details. Part of a collection of lantern slides of the Copper triangle towns - see also B 72435/1-11 and B 72436.

Lions club of Moonta activities

Lions club of Moonta activities

Comprising images of moonta Lions club activities including the Charter 10th Anniversary, 19th April 1980.

Karkarilla Mine, Moonta

Karkarilla Mine, Moonta

Engine and boiler house erected in the 1860s, Karkarilla Mine, Moonta. Rich ore was found in 1862, but after two years was offered for sale at little more than 1,000 pounds. Opened again and re-named Hamley after the Acting Governor in 1868. Closed again until 1900 taken over by Wallaroo and Moonta Co. and worked as a low-grade mine. Notes on the back of the photograph read "The Karkarilla mine adjoins the Moonta mine leases on the southern boundary and the lode was believed to be a continuation of the main Moonta lode (Elders and Taylors). Rich ore was found in 1862, but after a year or two operations were suspended and the property which had been mortgaged to a bank was offered for sale at little more than one thousand pounds. A little later a new company under Sir William Morgan bought the property and shortly afterwards picked up another lode further west which was believed to be a continuation of Beddome's on the Moonta leases; the company was re-named Hamley after the Acting Governor at that time (1868) A few years later Karkarilla was again closed down and remained idle until after 1900, when another attempt was made to re-open it - this photo taken about that time. The Wallaroo and Moonta Company took it over and worked it as a low grade proposition during the 1914-1918 war period."

Town Hall, Moonta

Town Hall, Moonta

[General description] Moonta's Town Hall is a solid stone building with a corner clock tower and a widows walk. Some men, probably officials stand in front of the building, another man appears to be working on the roof. [On back of photograph] 'Institute/Town Hall, Moonta / 1932 / Corner of George and Henry Streets / Reproduced in the Chronicle for September 1st, 1932 / Foundation stone laid 25 March 1885 by Mrs. J.R. Corpe, wife of president and niece of Sir W.W. Hughes, original owner of Mines / Architect T.H. Smeaton, Adelaide / Contractors Pollard & Cowling, Moonta / First cost 3,500 pounds / Clock tower added in 1907 by public subscription (vide Mr. O. Pryor)' Miss Lutze made a substantial donation to this fund.

Moonta

Moonta

George Street - named after George W. Goyder, Surveyor-General. On the left is the Moonta Hotel, built in 1863, by Mr. Olifent, and known for years as Olifents. It was the first Hotel in the township and the building has not changed except for the verandah. Moonta Hotel is located on the corner of George Street and Blanche Terrace and at the time of the photograph in 1933 the proprietor was Mrs M Florence Hinton.

Public School, Moonta

Public School, Moonta

[General description] Moonta Mines Model School, built in 1877 to educate the Cornish miner's children. A cheerful group of students pose informally for the photographer. [On back of photograph] 'Public School, Moonta, west side / Opened February 2nd, 1878 by the Hon. A. Blyth / First headmaster, Edward M. Pearce (Note by Mr. O. Pryor) / Reproduced in Chronicle for September 1st, 1932'.

Methodist Church, Moonta

Methodist Church, Moonta

[General description] This small oval shaped view shows part of the front of the church with trees in the foreground. There were once several Methodist churches in Moonta but only two survive today, both now being Uniting Church. This is the "town' Methodist Church in Robert Street, built in 1873. The other one is the Moonta Mines Methodist Church in Bower Street, see B 69282/410. [On back of photograph] 'Methodist Church, Moonta / 1932 / Reproduced in the Chronicle for September 1st, 1932 / See B 4384 for details'.

Moonta

Moonta

[General description] Various shops and buildings along Moonta's main street are the premises for the Moonta District Co-Operative, (dealers for International, Deering and McCormack harvesters), C.W. Williams' agency for C.A.V. batteries and Farmers Union to name a few. The Town Hall clock tower can be seen in the middle of the view. [On back of photograph] 'Ryan Street / Named after the shepherd who discovered Moonta Mines / 1932 / Note by Mr. O. Pryor: Ryan Street was intended to be the main business street but the shop-keepers preferred George Street / Two storied building in middle distance is the union Bank / Reproduced in Chronicle for September 1st, 1932'.

Boiler explosion at Moonta

Boiler explosion at Moonta

Result of boiler explosion at Beddomes engine house, Moonta Mines. The shell of the boiler was carried a considerable distance before landing on a Miner's Cottage. A man named Jose was killed at the Moonta Mines after he was lighting the boilers connected to the Beddomes engine and forgot to turn the throttle valve on No. 1 boiler.

Manager's residence, Moonta Mi

Manager's residence, Moonta Mi

[General description] View across Moonta with Captain Hancock's house in the foreground. There is a large garden surrounding the house, the mines are seen in the distance. [Caption on photograph] 'Moonta Mines: Manager's residence (1916) : Lower story built prior to appointment of Captain H.R. Hancock in 1864. Upper story added about 10 years afterwards. Enclosure contained patch of original scrub. Middle distance Moonta Mines "Model" School; background Moonta township; horizon, Spencer's Gulf. (Oswald Pryor 12-2-52)'

Yelta Mine, Moonta

Yelta Mine, Moonta

[General description] This is a copy of an illustrated article appearing in 'The Peoples' Weekly', Moonta dated 24-9-27. It shows the surface installation, Yelta Mine, Moonta. The man in the foreground is Captain Thomas Cowling. [On back of photograph} The text of the article reads: Shortly after Ryan's discovery in June 1861 on Captain Hughes' Warrilka run, overlooking Moonta Bay, the Yelta Mining Company was formed. Mr Frederick Wright, manager of the National Bank in Adelaide, was elected Chairman of Directors, and early in the following year rich ore was being sent to Wallaroo for shipment to the E. & A. Company's smelting works at Port Adelaide. Mr. J.L. Tuxford, of the North Terrace Implement Yard, a large shareholder, was sent up to supervise operations. His stay was short and Collingwood Kitto, a Victorian manager, accompanied by his brothers, Robert K. and Richard, took charge. He was succeeded by Captain Anthony and the part shown in the illustration was then opened up. Two years afterwards Captain Thomas Cowling took charge, and in February 1871 the first engine was set going and worked continuously until early in 1878, when operations ceased following a slump in the copper market. In 1885 the Bickford Syndicate bought out the company and the late Richard Cowling, who at that time was in charge of the Hamley, was put in command. In the illustration the figure in the foreground with the high hat is that of the late Captain Thomas Cowling, who died in January 1899. Perhaps some of the old Moonta Residents may recognise others who appear in the photograph, taken by Duryea'

Railway Station, Moonta

Railway Station, Moonta

Arrival of special train for Back to Moonta celebration.

Apprentices at Moonta Mines

Apprentices at Moonta Mines

Apprentices and other staff outside Moonta Mines Engineering Shop.

Shops at Moonta

Shops at Moonta

Shops at Moonta : premises of Marshal & Herbert, butchers, and W. Chappell, bootmaker.

Bible Christian Church Moonta

Bible Christian Church Moonta

Interior View of Bible Christian Church (later Church of Christ 1943-1976) at Moonta.

Moonta Institute at Moonta

Moonta Institute at Moonta

Moonta Institute at Moonta.

Carrier's Cart, Moonta

Carrier's Cart, Moonta

Horse drawn cart being the J. N. Ellery "Parcel express", carrier, thought to be at Moonta. Information from a researcher: 'In 1909, the West Picture Company, which in the previous year had opened Adelaide's first permanent picture theatre, expanded to rural areas of South Australia with weekly picture shows at Gawler, Balaklava, Kadina, Wallaroo, Port Pirie and Moonta. The Moonta picture show was scheduled to open in the Institute Hall on 29 October 1909. Unfortunately, the electric plant did not arrive from Sydney and the picture show opened the following week. (Wallaroo and Kadina where able to open on time as those towns had a local electricity supply.) I am confident that the photo was taken in the first week of November 1909 when the films were being delivered along with a 'petrol electric picture show set' (see page 41 of "Adelaide's Silent Nights" for a photo of one of these and compare it to the one on the back of the cart.) More importantly, I do not think the person on the cart is J.N. Ellery. I think it is T.J. West who is a significant figure in Australian cinema history. (See "Adelaide's Silent Nights" for a photo of T.J. West.)'.

The Moonta Mine shewing Elder's Shaft

The Moonta Mine shewing Elder's Shaft

Lithograph of the copper mine at Moonta showing Elder's shaft, in the middle towards the left and a double whim in the background. A note on the back by Mr O. Pryor reads: 'Elder's was the first shaft sunk on what is known as Elder's and Taylor's main lode at Moonta. The lode is about half a mile east of the spot where Patrick Ryan first discovered copper at Moonta in 1861. Elder's lode was found a few weeks later by prospectors. The horse whim in the centre of the picture is known as a "double whim" - it has two ropes, one hauling a kibble (bucket) up the shaft, the other letting a kibble down the shaft. A little to the left of the whim is a "whip", a device by means of which a horse is used to haul the kibble from shallow works.'

Moonta Community Library

Moonta Community Library

View of the Moonta Community Library housed in a heritage building.

Rest area, Moonta Lions Park

Rest area, Moonta Lions Park

View of benches and tables among gum trees in the rest area at Moonta Lions Park.

Toilet block, Moonta Lions Park

Toilet block, Moonta Lions Park

The toilet block at the Moonta Lions Park.

Barbeque area, Moonta Lions Park

Barbeque area, Moonta Lions Park

Barbeque area at the Moonta Lions Park.

Methodist Church, Moonta

Methodist Church, Moonta

[General description] A humble cottage with a striped verandah roof stands alongside the impressive Methodist Church at Moonta. The church is in the Gothic style and built of coursed limestone walling. The memorial stone was laid by Charles Drew on the 6th October 1873. [On back of photograph] 'Church in Robert Street. Built by Wesleyan Methodists. Foundation stone services 5 October 1873, opening services 2 August 1874. Cost of building 4,000 pounds. See 'S.A. Methodist Journal' for other details, issue Feb. 26, 1875. Note by O. Pryor.'

Anglican Church, Moonta

Anglican Church, Moonta

[General description] This Church was built in early English style by Maddern & Potts (stonemasons) and Hague & Lake (carpenters) to the design of Thomas Jones.It was opened by Bishop Short in September 1874. It was built from local stone and the bell was cast from local copper. [On back of photograph] 'Anglican Church, Moonta (All Saints)' (Another hand) 'Foundation stone of All Saints laid in 1873. Church bell cast in Moonta Mines foundry. (The first C. of E. Church was in Ryan St. and is now -1952- a hall.) Vide Mr. O. Pryor. / Before 1927'.

Soldiers' Memorial, Moonta

Soldiers' Memorial, Moonta

[General description] A man in bowling club uniform poses with a garden hose in front of the Soldier's War Memorial. This statue of a soldier with slouch hat and bayonet stands atop a marble plinth in a garden setting. The Bowling Club-house is seen in the background. [On back of photograph] 'Reproduced in the "Observer", Sep. 10, 1927 / Soldiers' Memorial and Bowling Club House, Moonta Memorial Park. / For facsimile of enlarged framed photo presented to the Moonta Bowling Club by Mr. W.J. Brinkworth (see personal par enclosed) / 1927 / Photo by Jas. Howe & Co., Moonta'.

Machine Shops, Moonta Mines

Machine Shops, Moonta Mines

Machine Shops at the Mines, employed 300 hands at peak period. By 1875 Moonta was the second largest town in South Australia and the largest copper region in the British Empire. Moonta Mines area had a population of 5,000 residents.

Main road, Moonta

Main road, Moonta

[General description] Main Road, Moonta, 1950. [On back of photograph] 'George Street, Moonta, looking west (Named after George W. Goyder, Surveyor General'

Church, Moonta

Church, Moonta

Primitive Methodist chapel, Moonta - erected c.1865. In 1874 a gallery was built on three sides which increased the seating accommodation to 800. At the same time an "orchestra" was built behind the pulpit. Weather-board structure, was a Social Hall. After Methodist Union in 1900 the chapel was used for Sunday School.

Hamley Mine, Moonta

Hamley Mine, Moonta

Surface installations of the Hamley Mines, Moonta : from left boiler house, engine house and crusher house; weather-board structure in front of the crusher house contained a Warren & May Patent Jig for treating low grade veinstuff; in the foreground (below surface level) are buddles for treating fine slimes. This plant erected in the early 1870s was never modified to any great extent. Photo was about 1916. the Hamley mine adjoins the Moonta Mining Company's leases on the southern boundary; the lode was a continuation of Beddomes, one of the five main Moonta lodes.