Find • 1907 • Results 1,801 to 1,830 of 2,044


The 'Mary Isabel' in an unidentified harbour
The steel barquentine 'Mary Isabel', 307 tons, in an unidentified harbour [steel barquentine, 339 gross, 307 net tons. ON99680, 146.0 x 27.2 x 11.2. Built 1892 Grangemouth Dockyard Co., Grangemouth. Owned in Grimsby. In 1907 acquired by RS Lamb and Company, registered Sydney. Missing, sailed in September 1911. RS Lamb and Partners were usually engaged in the trans-Tasman timber trade].


The 'River Boyne' in an unidentified harbour
The iron barquentine 'River Boyne', 515 tons, in an undientified harbour [iron 3 mast barque, 499 gross, 479 net tons, ON55054, 154.1 x 27.8 x 17.3. Built 1867 Dobie and Co., Glasgow. Owners: Hargrove and Hellon, registered Liverpool. c.1886 sold to Germany and renamed 'Sirius' owned in Hamburg. In 1900 sold to Sydney owners and reverts to 'River Boyne' 515 gross, 466 net tons, 3 mast barquentine rigged, owners: George E Elliott, registered Sydney. Dec. 1907 James Paterson and Co. Ltd., registered Melbourne and converted into coal hulk].


The 'Woollahra' in an unidentified harbour
The iron barque 'Woollahra', 974 tons, in an undientified harbour [iron 3 mast barque, 974 gross, 942 net tons. ON73314, 202.4 x 33.6. x 20.4. Built 1875 Osborne, Graham and Co. Sunderland;owners Cowlishaw Bros., registered Sydney; 1905 Woollahra Ship Co. Ltd. Wrecked Cape Terawhiti, New Zealand, July 14, 1907. Two lives lost].


The 'Mary Isabel' in an unidentified harbour
The steel barquentine 'Mary Isabel', 307 tons, in an unidentified harbour [steel barquentine, 339 gross, 307 net tons. ON99680, 146.0 x 27.2 x 11.2. Built 1892 Grangemouth Dockyard Co., Grangemouth. Owned in Grimsby. In 1907 acquired by RS Lamb and Company, registered Sydney. Missing, sailed in September 1911. RS Lamb and Partners were usually engaged in the trans-Tasman timber trade].


The 'Lochiel' in an unidentified port
The wooden barquentine 'Lochiel', 227 tons, in an unidentified port [wooden 3 mast schooner (officially) caption says brigantine, 227 tons, ON65361. 113.4 x 24.1 x 12.6. Built 1875 Stephen and Forbes, Peterhead. Came to Brisbane owners from Peterhead in 1883. Donkin and Howes, registered Brisbane Oct. 1886 to owners in Bundaberg, Queensland. Finally owned by Charles E Young. Broken up in 1907. Whilst in Australia usually associated with the labour trade supplying native labourers to the Queensland sugar plantations].


The 'Post Boy' wrecked at Arno Bay
The wooden schooner 'Post Boy', 59 tons, wrecked at Arno Bay [wooden 2 mast schooner, 62 tons, 77.2 x 18.8 x 7.2. Built 1874. John Lowen, Port Adelaide. Owners: John Kuhl and partners, registered Port Adelaide. Foundered in St. Vincent Gulf Dec. 15, 1876. Raised and repaired, reregistered Thomas Watson and JH Bowker. Customs register closed in 1907 with 'totally wrecked'. See 'Ketches of South Australia' 3rd edition 1978]


The 'Monarch' at Port Pirie
The wooden barquentine 'Monarch', 98 tons, at Port Pirie [wooden 3 mast schooner, 132 tons (officially, apparently altered c.1903 and reduced to 98 tons, but not recorded) 109.0 x 23.9 x 7.6. ON55958. Built 1871 J Robinson, Moreton Bay Queensland. Owners: Clarke, Hodgson and Co., registered Brisbane: 1872 Robert Chadwick, registered Sydney: April 1874 Messrs. Short: April 1888 Albert Heesh: Nov. 1902 William Playfair, Port Adelaide then CE Fricker, J Campbell and A Hodgeman. Wrecked Wardang Island, SA, April 6, 1909 (not 1907 as shown on caption)


Family photographs
Some original photographs, and copy photographs, of different branches of the Cowled family. Some are accompanied by an information sheet - these have also been copied with the same number as the image followed by an 'A'. See below for details of items.


The 'Post Boy' at Port Adelaide
The wooden schooner 'Post Boy', 59 tons, building at Port Adelaide in 1874 [wooden 2 mast schooner, 62 tons, 77.2 x 18.8 x 7.2. Built 1874. John Lowen, Port Adelaide. Owners: John Kuhl and partners, registered Port Adelaide. Foundered in St. Vincent Gulf Dec. 15, 1876. Raised and repaired, reregistered Thomas Watson and JH Bowker. Customs register closed in 1907 with 'totally wrecked'. See 'Ketches of South Australia' 3rd edition 1978]


The 'Monarch' at Port Victoria
The wooden barquentine 'Monarch', 98 tons, at Port Victoria [wooden 3 mast schooner, 132 tons (officially, apparently altered c.1903 and reduced to 98 tons, but not recorded) 109.0 x 23.9 x 7.6. ON55958. Built 1871 J Robinson, Moreton Bay Queensland. Owners: Clarke, Hodgson and Co., registered Brisbane: 1872 Robert Chadwick, registered Sydney: April 1874 Messrs. Short: April 1888 Albert Heesh: Nov. 1902 William Playfair, Port Adelaide then CE Fricker, J Campbell and A Hodgeman. Wrecked Wardang Island, SA, April 6, 1909 (not 1907 as shown on caption)


The 'Post Boy' wrecked at Arno Bay
The wooden schooner 'Post Boy', 59 tons, wrecked at Arno Bay [wooden 2 mast schooner, 62 tons, 77.2 x 18.8 x 7.2. Built 1874. John Lowen, Port Adelaide. Owners: John Kuhl and partners, registered Port Adelaide. Foundered in St. Vincent Gulf Dec. 15, 1876. Raised and repaired, reregistered Thomas Watson and JH Bowker. Customs register closed in 1907 with 'totally wrecked'. See 'Ketches of South Australia' 3rd edition 1978]


The 'Monarch' at Port Augusta
The wooden barquentine 'Monarch', 98 tons, at Port Augusta [wooden 3 mast schooner, 132 tons (officially, apparently altered c.1903 and reduced to 98 tons, but not recorded) 109.0 x 23.9 x 7.6. ON55958. Built 1871 J Robinson, Moreton Bay Queensland. Owners: Clarke, Hodgson and Co., registered Brisbane: 1872 Robert Chadwick, registered Sydney: April 1874 Messrs. Short: April 1888 Albert Heesh: Nov. 1902 William Playfair, Port Adelaide then CE Fricker, J Campbell and A Hodgeman. Wrecked Wardang Island, SA, April 6, 1909 (not 1907 as shown on caption)

Reverend Arthur M. Trengove : SUMMARY RECORD
Records of the Reverend Arthur M. Trengove comprising approximately 1300 lantern slides and glass plate negatives. To a lesser extent there are nitrate negatives and prints. The majority were created in South Australia and document the landscape and his activities as Reverend. Items include images of the following areas; Mid North and Flinders Ranges, Eyre Peninsula (including Cowell, Franklin Harbour, Hissey's Creek, Coonarie Falls, Winnowing, Arno Bay, Port Lincoln), Adelaide Botanic and Zoological Gardens, Port Elliot and Hindmarsh River, Beetaloo Reservoir, Bundaleer, Prince Alfred College, Mount Gambier, River Murray, Mannum and Renmark. Trengove spent time abroad in both New Zealand and during World War 1 in Egypt. Both trips are documented. There are also many family portraits, mainly taken during the mission years in northern South Australia. There are items of interest including a wooden and metal gas lantern slide projector and wooden frames for the slides, used in projection. There is a decorative light projection device with a prism-like light refractor which would have been used for creating patterned and coloured light presentations.


The 'Elizabeth' at Port Adelaide
The wooden barque 'Elizabeth', 263 tons, at Port Adelaide [wooden 3 mast barque, 263 tons. ON47438. 118.9 x 24.4 x 14.4. Built 1863 (9) W Briggs and Sons, Sunderland. Owners registered London till Feb. 1865, Moss Joshua, registered Melbourne; Aug. 1868 EF Sichel; June 1873 John Bickers and Jno Neill, registered Port Adelaide: Feb. 1894 AE Howard; Feb. 1895 AE Hamilton; Aug 1900 William Hamilton; 1907 HG Darling; March 1922 Patrick SS Co. Ltd. Converted to a hulk for use in Port Adelaide from 1894 and broken up and register closed in December 1922]


The 'Elizabeth' at Port Adelaide
The wooden barque 'Elizabeth', 263 tons, at Port Adelaide [wooden 3 mast barque, 263 tons. ON47438. 118.9 x 24.4 x 14.4. Built 1863 (9) W Briggs and Sons, Sunderland. Owners registered London till Feb. 1865, Moss Joshua, registered Melbourne; Aug. 1868 EF Sichel; June 1873 John Bickers and Jno Neill, registered Port Adelaide: Feb. 1894 AE Howard; Feb. 1895 AE Hamilton; Aug 1900 William Hamilton; 1907 HG Darling; March 1922 Patrick SS Co. Ltd. Converted to a hulk for use in Port Adelaide from 1894 and broken up and register closed in December 1922]


The 'Dunblane' in an unidentified harbour
The iron barque 'Dunblane', 752 tons, in an unidentified harbour [iron 3 mast barque, 751 gross, 714 net tons. ON78615. 187.8 x 31.0 x 18.5. Built 1878 (5) D&W Henderson. Glasgow. Owners: J Dunn and Sons, registered Glasgow. Oct 1896 to Russian owners without change of name. 1902 John Alexander Walker, registered Port Adelaide. Jan. 1907 to JJ Craig, Auckland and renamed Joseph Craig. Sold 1914 to Huddart, Parker Ltd Melbourne for conversion to hulk but on delivery voyage was wrecked at Hokianga, NZ August 7, 1914]


'Eunice' wooden schooner
'Eunice' wooden schooner 171 tons [wooden 3 mast topsail schooner, 190 gross tons, 171 net tons. ON102343. 110.4 x 27.5 x 7.2. Built 1902 DM Darroch, Big Omaha, New Zealand in 1915 converted into steamship = 188 gross tons, 129 net tons. Wrecked at the mouth of the Wanganui River, New Zealand. Sept. 26, 1917. Owners:AB Donald, registered Auckland; 1907 Joseph Mandl; 1908 TH Kerr, registered Lyttelton; 1908 JW Brownlee; 1916 Christchurch Meat Co. Ltd]


'Countess of Ranfurly' wooden schooner
'Countess of Ranfurly wooden schooner 198 tons. [wooden three mast aux. schooner. 198 gross, 153 net tons. ON102338. 112.7 x 25.1 x 10.8. Built 1901 Lane and Brown, Whangaroa, NZ. Aux. oil engine. Owners Government of New Zealand, registered Auckland. 1907 GLS Kerr, Island trader, Sydney. 1909 Kerr Bros. Ltd., Sydney. Wrecked at the Isle of Pines, March 31, 1910]


'Eunice' wooden schooner
'Eunice' wooden schooner 171 tons [wooden 3 mast topsail schooner, 190 gross tons, 171 net tons. ON102343. 110.4 x 27.5 x 7.2. Built 1902 DM Darroch, Big Omaha, New Zealand in 1915 converted into steamship = 188 gross tons, 129 net tons. Wrecked at the mouth of the Wanganui River, New Zealand. Sept. 26, 1917. Owners:AB Donald, registered Auckland; 1907 Joseph Mandl; 1908 TH Kerr, registered Lyttelton; 1908 JW Brownlee; 1916 Christchurch Meat Co. Ltd]


River Murray, Mannum and Berri
Records of the Reverend Arthur M. Trengove comprising lantern slides and glass plate negatives of Murray River scenes including paddlesteamers, boating for leisure, picturesque landscape scenes and items documenting flood levels in Berri, Mannum and Morgan. See CONTENTS for more information and details of images.


'Derwent Hunter' wooden barque
'Derwent Hunter' wooden barque 368 tons [wooden 3 mast barque, ON32094. 368 tons, 106.2 x 29.0 x 18.6. Built in 1810 and 1811 at Kensington, Philadelphia, Penn. and named North America. Renamed in 1861. Owners 1861 Alexander McGregor and Charles Bayley, registered Hobart. March 1886 Alex. McGregor. Register closed with 'Burnt at the Domain Slip. Hobart 1907'. There is some mention of this vessel in Wrecks in Tasmanian Waters by Harry O'May (not a particularly reliable source) that says she was hulked in 1884 and scuttled alongside the slip and used as a store]


'Viking' steel 4 masted barque
'Viking' steel 4 masted barque 2952 tons at Gothenberg [steel 4 mast barque, 2952 gross, 2541 net tons. 293.8 x 45.9 x 23.8. Built 1907 (6) Burmeister and Wain, Copenhagen. Danish sail training ship, registered Copenhagen. Still in existence at Gothenburg, used as hostel etc.]


'Viking' steel 4 masted barque
'Viking' steel 4 masted barque 2952 tons [steel 4 mast barque, 2952 gross, 2541 net tons. 293.8 x 45.9 x 23.8. Built 1907 (6) Burmeister and Wain, Copenhagen. Danish sail training ship, registered Copenhagen. Still in existence at Gothenburg, used as hostel etc.]


'Louisa Craig' iron barque
'Louisa Craig' iron barque 683 tons ['Peru' = iron barque, 710 tons, ON75188, 182.4 x 30.1 x 17.8. Built 1876 (8) J Key and Sons, Kinghorn, Owners: JW Robertson, registered Dundee. c.1885 J Stewart and Co., registered Dundee. 1907 sold to J Craig and Co, and renamed 'Louisa Craig' and registered at Auckland. In October 1916 renamed 'Raupo' and became the property of GH Scales (of Wellington). 1923 Canterbury Steam Shipping Co. Ltd. and hulked in 1922-3, and register closed in 1929]


'Viking' steel 4 masted barque
'Viking' steel 4 masted barque 2952 tons [steel 4 mast barque, 2952 gross, 2541 net tons. 293.8 x 45.9 x 23.8. Built 1907 (6) Burmeister and Wain, Copenhagen. Danish sail training ship, registered Copenhagen. Still in existence at Gothenburg, used as hostel etc.]


'Louisa Craig' iron barque
'Louisa Craig' iron barque 683 tons ['Peru' = iron barque, 710 tons, ON75188, 182.4 x 30.1 x 17.8. Built 1876 (8) J Key and Sons, Kinghorn, Owners: JW Robertson, registered Dundee. c.1885 J Stewart and Co., registered Dundee. 1907 sold to J Craig and Co, and renamed 'Louisa Craig' and registered at Auckland. In October 1916 renamed 'Raupo' and became the property of GH Scales (of Wellington). 1923 Canterbury Steam Shipping Co. Ltd. and hulked in 1922-3, and register closed in 1929]


'Elizabeth' wooden barque
The wooden barque 'Elizabeth', 263 tons, at Port Adelaide moored on the Birkenhead side of the Port River [wooden 3 mast barque, 263 tons. ON47438. 118.9 x 24.4 x 14.4. Built 1863 (9) W Briggs and Sons, Sunderland. Owners registered London till Feb. 1865, Moss Joshua, registered Melbourne; Aug. 1868 EF Sichel; June 1873 John Bickers and Jno Neill, registered Port Adelaide: Feb. 1894 AE Howard; Feb. 1895 AE Hamilton; Aug 1900 William Hamilton; 1907 HG Darling; March 1922 Patrick SS Co. Ltd. Converted to a hulk for use in Port Adelaide from 1894 and broken up and register closed in December 1922]


'Emma Laurans' steel barque
'Emma Laurans' steel barque 2152 tons [steel 3 mast barque, 2260 gross, 1710 net tons, later 2152 gross, 1907 net tons. 280.1 x 40.3 x 22.6. Built 1902 Forg and Chant. de la Madit., Havre. Owners: Soc. des Voiliers Francais, registered Havre. Sunk by German submarine Dec. 10, 1916]


'Marguerite Mirabaud' steel barque
'Marguerite Mirabaud' steel barque 2293 tons [steel 3 mast barque, 2293 gross, 1732 net tons, 276.4 x 40.4 x 22.6. Built 1900 Atel and Chant de la Loire, Nantes. Owners: Soc. des Voiliers Francais, registered Havre. On a voyage from Hobart towards Tahiti, wrecked Akatore Beach, South Otago, New Zealand Feb. 17, 1907]


Miscellaneous photographs
Miscellenous photographs (75) collected by Minchin family and related families. A selection of these has been digitised. Do a NUMBER search on PRG 119/35/19-48 to see online images. See 'Contents' field for details. The complete set is available for reference.