Find • walkerville • Results 181 to 210 of 330


House at Hay Court, Walkerville
Architectural floor plan for a proposed house at Hay Court, Walkerville, designed by Brian Vogt.


Photographs relating to standard people A-Q
Photographs relating to 'standard people', created by Messenger Press.


Series 144: Aerial views of breweries and other businesses
Aerial photographs of Walkerville Brewery at Thebarton, the Lion Brewery and Hotel at North Adelaide, the West End Brewery in Adelaide, and Coopers Brewery at Leabrook. Also includes images of Tolley, Scott & Tolley Ltd. winemakers and distillers at Stepney, and the premises of pharmaceutical firm F.H.Faulding and Co at Thebarton.


Photographs of Adelaide scenes
Collection of black and white photographic prints, taken by an unknown photographer. They cover localities in the Adelaide Hills, Adelaide street scenes, events and activities. Details of items are listed below.


Photographs relating to Messenger Press : Transport, buses and the O-Bahn system
Photographs relating to 'Transport, buses and the O-Bahn system', created by Messenger Press.


Photographs of Sophie van Rood and family
Photographs of Sophie van Rood in The Banana Room; in her garden in Walkerville Terrace; and with her family. See below for more details. Images can be viewed on the South Australiana database.


Mounted soldiers
Mounted soldiers including soldier Sydney Charles Simcock. Information: Sydney Charles SIMCOCK. Regimental number: 2015. Place of birth: Walkerville South Australia. Religion: Methodist. Occupation: Labourer. Marital status: Single. Age at embarkation: 22. Next of kin: Father, Benjamin Simcock, Harvey Street, Walkerville, South Australia. Enlistment date: 3 November 1915. Date of enlistment from Nominal Roll: 3 August 1915. Rank on enlistment: Private. Unit name: 9th Light Horse Regiment, 14th Reinforcement. AWM Embarkation Roll number: 10/14/3. Embarkation details: Unit embarked from Adelaide, South Australia, on board HMAT A69 Warilda on 10 February 1916. Rank from Nominal Roll: Driver. Unit from Nominal Roll: 14th Field Artillery Brigade. Fate: Returned to Australia 11 December 1918.


Home of Mr. and Mrs. W. R. Pybus, Flinders Street
'Iris Villa' on Flinders Street, Adelaide, the home of Mr & Mrs William Richard Pybus. The family later owned a house at Henley Beach on the esplanade called 'Ashantee'.


Passengers boarding tram
Passengers boarding 'F' class drop centre tram No. 222 (probably at the Hyde Park tram terminus at the corner of Avenure Road (now Whistler Avenure) and Cross Road at Unley Park (then the Hyde Park Terminus) en route to Walkervill North.. Trams operated from Hyde Park to Walkerville North.


Left to right: Craig Holme (Walkerville) Terry Villaflor (St Morris), Paul Otta (St Morris) and Robert Arnold (Mile End) standing outside the Walkerville Town Hall beofre collecting for the Homeless Youth Centre. 31st January 1990.


H.E. Cathro's butcher's shop
Harold E. Cathro's butcher shop at 20 William Street, Norwood, with a Californian bungalow residence attached. A man is sitting in a buggy, and two young boys are standing on the footpath.


Actors, dancers, musicians
Jim Sloane, Walkerville, Walkerville Players.


Research paper on Edward Angus Hamilton along with photographs
Research paper on Edward Hamilton together with a brief biography, photographs of buildings with which he was associated, a copy of the article on Edward Hamilton which was reproduced from the September 1985 edition of heritage periodical and a photocopied newspaper article about a mansion to be demolished at Unley. Details for the photos (D 7683/2) are as per brief captions on back of photographs.


Views in South Australia : collection of black and white photograph negatives
Negatives containing views of South Australian countryside, landscapes, and seascapes, including Port Lincoln, Adelaide, and the Murray River. Includes buildings, people playing sport, boats, the ocean, and various scenes.


Photos of carnivals and events
Records comprising photos of swimming carnivals and events. Two items were not retained: a newspaper cutting from 'The Chronicle', Saturday 10 March 1917, page 29, featuring three photos: 'Picturesque scene on the Torrens at Gilberton ...'; the General Committee and the Ladies Committee. The main photo was by Krischock, the others are attributed to 'Presto'. The photos were taken the previous week on 3 March 1917.; and a newspaper cutting from 'The Observer', Saturday 20 February 1926, page 32, featuring images from the Australian Diving and Swimming Championships held at the Gilberton Club.


Parks and outdoor sites around the north-eastern suburbs of Adelaide
A collection of photographs of parks and other nature sites, taken by the Messenger Press newspaper around the north-eastern suburbs of Adelaide. According to brief paperwork attached to the photos, many were taken for the Standard Messenger newspaper.Where more than one date has been added to a photo, one of the dates may refer to when it was published in the newspaper.


Swimming Pool, Walkerville Swimming Club
Early view of swimmers at the pool.


First home of the Adamson family
GILBERTON: The first home of the Adamson family, early assisted migrants who arrived in South Australia in 1839 and settled near Walkerville Terrace; copied from a watercolour executed by a member of the family. Photograph of an artwork.


Mountain Hut Hotel
Mountain Hut Hotel on the Mount Barker Road. Various horse-drawn vehicles stand outside the hotel, whilst a faithful dog waits at its door. Advertisements for Walkerville Ales and Stout are displayed. This building, at 92 Mount Barker Road is now [2007] the 'All Pets Boarding Village'. For a view circa 1930, with a balcony added, see B 26216.


Norfolk pine tree, Medindie
[General description] A group of men are preparing this large Norfolk Island pine for felling. It had been planted by Mr. Hugh Corpe more than thirty years earlier. Local people had organised a petition to save the tree to present to the Council but the tree was felled before the petition was completed and sent. On the left is the Salvatian Army's McBride Hospital. [On back of photograph] 'Norfolk Island Pine, Briar Avenue, Medindie / June 11, 1946 / This pine, a landmark in Briar Avenue Medindie was felled on June 11th, 1946 because of its percieved danger to traffic / The tree was beleived to be the finest specimen of a Norfolk Island pine in South Australia / The Walkerville Council decided on its removal after investigations and an inspection by the National Safety Council / Reproduced in the News, June 12, 1946 p.3 and the Advertiser, June 13, 1946 p. 6d'


George Dove
George Dove, rector of the Walkerville Parish (Anglican), later to become Archdeacon.


Henry Field
Mr and Mrs Henry Field. This couple is probably the Henry Field and Mary Amelia Crocker (daughter of Reverend Ridgway Newland) who were married at her mother's residence at Walkerville on 28 June 1866. Reverend Newland had three children from his second marriage and five children from his first marriage. Henry Field was married twice,one wife was Sophia Field. He died at 91 in 1909


George Brinkworth
George Brinkworth of "Willowdene", Brinkworth arrived in South Australia on board the "Somersetshire" on 25 August 1839, aged about 3 years old, along with his mother Elizabeth, father Thomas and siblings Joseph and Mary. George Brinkworth married Wilhelmina Fredericka Louisa Belling in 1875, and they had three children: Doris, Edgar, and Alice. The family lived in Nailsworth, Walkerville, Lower Light, Saddleworth and grew wheat. George died on 30 April 1883 and is buried in the North Road Cemetery, Nailsworth, South Australia. His wife, W.F. Louisa, passed away on 21 July 1919 and is buried at the Brinkworth Cemetery.


Jesse Brinkworth
Jesse Brinkworth, born at Nailsworth 30/12/1840. He was the third son of Thomas Brinkworth who was born in approximately 1801 at Appila Yarrowie, South Australia and died at Keith, South Australia. Thomas Brinkworth arrived in South Australia in August 1839 aboard the "Somersetshire". He was a broadweaver by trade but began in South Australia by sawing wood in the government forests, later he grew wheat at Nailsworth. He was a founding trustee of St Andrew's Anglican Church at Walkerville. In 1851 he left with two of his sons to work at the goldfields near Bendigo, returning with enough gold to buy farmland at Lower Light. Thomas and his wife Elizabeth had nine children. He later moved to Manoora (Chinkford) to grow wheat. With his son-in-law he built a steam flourmill at Saddleworth


Joseph Brinkworth
Joseph Brinkworth, eldest son of Thomas, arrived in South Australia in August 1839 on the "Somersetshire". Joseph Brinkworth (1834-1895) was the eldest son of Elizabeth and Thomas Brinkworth. He married Isabelle Clode. Joseph, like his brothers was a wheat farmer. His father Thomas Brinkworth arrived in South Australia in August 1839 aboard the "Somersetshire". He was a broadweaver by trade but began in South Australia by sawing wood in the government forests, later he grew wheat at Nailsworth. He was a founding trustee of St Andrew's Anglican Church at Walkerville. In 1851 he left with his two eldest sons to work at the goldfields near Bendigo, returning with enough gold to buy farmland at Lower Light. Thomas and his wife Elizabeth had nine children. He later moved to Manoora (Chinkford) to grow wheat. With his son-in-law he built a steam flourmill at Saddleworth.


Thomas Brinkworth
Thomas Brinkworth arrived in South Australia in August 1839 aboard the "Somersetshire". He was a broadweaver by trade but began in South Australia by sawing wood in the government forests, later he grew wheat at Nailsworth. He was a founding trustee of St Andrew's Anglican Church at Walkerville. In 1851 he left with two of his sons to work at the goldfields near Bendigo, returning with enough gold to buy farmland at Lower Light. Thomas and his wife Elizabeth had nine children. He later moved to Manoora (Chinkford) to grow wheat. With his son-in-law he built a steam flourmill at Saddleworth


Israel Mazey
Israel Mazey - old colonist who arrived in South Australia on the sailing vessel the "Duke of York" in 1836. A note on the back of the photograph dated 1894 suggests that Israel Mazey was one of the last persons still living who arrived on the "Duke of York" along with the daughter of Mrs Beare who had 10 children, 50 grandchildren and 69 great grandchildren. Also mentioned are Mr WL Beare of Glenelg and Mr O Powell of Walkerville. Israel Mazey was born approximately in 1817 in Berkshire, England and died June 26, 1894 at Alberton. He was 20 years old when he began working to establish a whaling station on Kangaroo Island. He joined the "Duke of York" when it was anchored off the Isle of Wight. Later he worked as a blacksmith on Kangaroo Island. He married Hannah Woolman in 1843 and they produced 12 children and lived in King Street in Alberton.


Watts Newland
[General description] Group portrait of (left to right) of octogenarian pioneers Messrs. Watts Newland, James Kelly and Henry Field taken at the residence of Mr. Henry Kelly at Burlington Street, Walkerville. The article in the Observer has brief biographical details of the men. [On back of photograph] 'Watts Newland with James Kelly and Henry Field / 1903 / See Adelaide Observer of September 26, 1903 p.23'


William Williams
[General description] This portrait shows Mr. W. Williams with straight dark hair, a light coloured vest and bow tie. [Caption on photograph] 'W.Williams / Arrived in the Signet (sic) 11th September 1836 and at Government Iron Stores Montefiore Hill' [On back of photograph] 'William Williams / Deputy Colonial Storekeeper'.


Motor Buggy
Motor buggy. According to a researcher, if the registration number on the buggy is 2662, then this was issued in 1912 to a Mr. A. Sharman of Melton S.A. Another list shows the same number, 2662, as being issued to Mr. Alfred Sharman of Gilberton Terrace, Walkerville. One is probably his residential address and the other perhaps his property where the buggy was used. This style of vehicle ceased production in U.S.A. in 1911. The family can be seen riding in the motor buggy which has the canopy extended to protect the ladies from the elements. In 1916 Alfred Henry Sharman enlisted in the Australian Army and fought in France at Villers-Bretonneux. The nineteen year old farmer lived at Melton.