Find • walkerville • Results 211 to 240 of 330


German Club Members
Members of the German Club at a picnic. The German Club was founded in 1854 and consisted of upper crust German immigrants living in North Adelaide and Walkerville. Previously many of the first wave immigrants were farmers or farm workers or tradesmen. Later came skilled artisans,merchants and professionals and many became British subjects. This photograph shows the male picnickers in front of their band who are seated on a horse drawn omnibus


German Club Members
Group photograph of members of the German Club. The German Club was founded in 1854 and consisted of upper crust German immigrants living in North Adelaide and Walkerville. Previously many of the first wave immigrants were farmers or farm workers or tradesmen. Later came skilled artisans,merchants and professionals and many became British subjects. At the time of this photograph they were renting premises in a hall upstairs in the Hamburg Hotel in Rundle Street and later at the Europe Hotel in Grenfell Street. The gentlemen have removed their hats and are wearing sashes decorated with emblems


Premises of E. Brown, Hairdresser, 168 Hindley Street, Adelaide
[General description] This row of shops in poor condition are soon to be demolished. Amongst these are the premises of Ern Brown's Hairdresser and Tobacconist, 168 Hindley Street. Next door to Brown's is the Castle Inn, of which a small portion can be seen on the right. Advertising for Clarion Cigarettes, Walkerville Ales, Gramp's Orlando Wines and West End Bitter Beer can be seen. A hoarding bears further advertisements. See B 7179 for a view of the hotel taken in 1937. [On back of photograph] 'Acre 55 / Hindley St., north side / July 18, 1927. / Near side of Brown's is 33 yards west of Morphett St. / Near side of hoarding is 39.5 yds. west of Morphett St. / The three shops in the centre and the hoarding were demolished in 1930'Premises north side, 18 July 1927. Near side of Browns is 23 yards west of Morphett Street and near side of hoarding is 39.5 yards west of Morphett Street.


King William Street, Adelaide
King William Street, Adelaide, east side. The right side of the Clarence Hotel is 46 yards north of Pirie Street and its frontage is 15 yards. The Tivoli Theatre is advertised with decorative lights. Several men are posing in front of the building. The man in the light-coloured suit and hat, is the American Charles J Johnson, known as "The Black Diamond, champion Cakewalk Dancer". He is standing to one side of a poster advertising his appearance. A woman and two children are on the left. Signs for Walkerville Ales are on the hotel windows. For a view of the hotel taken in 1925, see B 2450. The Clarence Hotel started out as the Alma Shades in 1857, then in 1858, was known as the Adelaide Shades. It was re-named as the Clarence Hotel from 1863-1917 and then became the Majestic. It traded under that name until 1981 when it was demolished.


West Terrace, Adelaide
[General description] A row of petrol bowsers stands in front of the service station next door to the Elephant and Castle Hotel. This hotel is a two storey stone building with balcony, complete with iron lace and has existed on or near the site since 1849. A sign on the wall of the hotel displays the name of its current licensee, M.S.W. Kenny and an advertisement for Walkerville Ales. [On back of photograph] 'Acre 622 / West Terrace / June 8, 1927 / Service station erected in 1926 on site frmerly occupied by a weighbridge. / Near side of service station is 38 yards north of Gilbert Street. Near side of hotel is 17.5 yards north of Gilbert Street.' (Another hand) 'A new service station building was completed in 1953. See B 13104'.


Caledonian Hotel, North Adelaide
[General description] Walkerville Ales are advertised on the wall of this hotel which was built in 1870 and is still extant in 2017. Mr. J.H. Carter is the licensee (from 1913-1922) at the time this photograph was taken. Tram wires hang over the intersection and lines are seen on the street. Note the large utility pole on the right. [On back of photograph] 'Acre 945 / West corner of O'Connell Street and Barton Terrace / Caledonian Hotel / c. 1911 / Hotel frontages: Barton Terrace frontage is 17 yards and O'Connell Street frontage is 12 yards'.


Clarence Hibbard Scott in AIF uniform
C. H. Scott. Service No: 2718, Private 32nd Battalion. Born 26 February 1893 at Walkerville, SA. Son of John James Scott and Mary Emma (nee Channing) of 5 Cannon Street, Adelaide, SA. Husband of Lillian Scott (nee Katwick) of Gretton House, London. Occupation prior to enlistment: Stockman. Enlisted 3 December 1915 aged 23 years. Embarked 25 March 1916. Served in France. Returned to Australia 8 February 1920 per 'Pt. Napier'. Discharged 12 April 1920. Died 1970. (information supplied by a researcher).


Members of the Adelaide Hunt Club
GENERAL: Members of the Adelaide Hunt Club at Walkerville, 26 August 1905, the Master, Bert Sanders stands front row, third from the left, other names, left to right, are: front: Neil Campbell; Hedley Todd (Host); Bert Sanders (Master); Charles Wakefield; Ken Bakewell; Dave Fulton: 2nd row: Carew Reynell; Leonard Bakewell; Charles Hargrave; Frank Toms; George Bagot: 3rd row: Bill Pile; Peter Bright; Tom Wigley; Reuther Clarke: back row: George Braund, Bert Hamilton; ? ; ? ; Jack Tennant; Mr. Howard.


Sand carting on the River Torrens
TORRENS RIVER: Sand carting on the River Torrens above Walkerville Bridge; Lawrence Gilbert is driving the dray and his father Sidney and Ossie Gors are in the punt.


Portrait of Frederick Searle
PORTRAIT: Frederick Searle, first Pastor of the College Park Congregational Church; he died in 1883 aged 39 years and was buried at Walkerville Cemetery.


Divers at the Australian Diving and Swimming Championships, Gilberton Swimming Pool
A man diving off a board during the Australian Diving and Swimming Championships, Walkerville Swimming Club, watched by other members of the Adelaide Swimming Association, February 1926. A researcher has suggested that this is the Gilberton Amateur Swimming Club.


Decorated car, Prospect
View of a car parked in front of a home in Prospect, July 1930. The car has been decorated for a movie ball at the Walkerville Theatre which was run by the photographer's father, William Lester Boyle.


Grace Dutton of the Walkerville Nursing Home - writing poems. 4 October 1988.


Statue in Howie Reserve at Walkerville. 1988.


Now here's an interesting bit! Local historian John Lewis hands his local history notes to Mayor Margot Vowles and primary school students Taras and Lisa. The notes are available at Walkerville Library. 31 May 1989.


We did it! June Schaeffer (left) from Glen Osmond and Judith Rischbieth from Walkerville proudly show the $9,000 cheque they raised for the Australian Brain Foundation. 3rd May 1989.


Leonie Hall (Beulah Park), June Schaeffer (Glen Osmond), Juth Rischbieth (Walkerville) and Renate Burns (Myrtle Bank) with a cheque for $9000 raised for the Brain Foundation. 1989.


Walker Village Players cast member Peggie Ewens of Walkerville, plays Miss Sophie in "Dinner for One".


A cheque for $2500 for the Guide Dogs for the Blind Association is presented to Emanuel Schenbri and his guide dog, by Les Lehmann of Broadview on behalf of the Walkerville Masonic Lodge. 11th January 1989.


Mary Potter Foundation Opportunity Shop volunteers Margaret Milne (from Walkerville), Eva Vargo (CEO of the Mary Potter Foundation from Upper Sturt), Margaret Conroy (Prospect) and Anna Giordana (Athelstone). 28th February 1990.


Colin Elix of Walkerville prepares to read news on Radio 5UV's Talking Print show. 16th November 1988.


Scenes of South Australia
Photographs in black & white and some sepia, of South Australian scenes and landscapes, ca.1890-1930. See CONTENTS for more information and details.


Natalie Gunzburg, Grange, Walkerville Players.


Bell ringers Susan Tonkin, Kaye Lynas and Simon Brown set the tongues wagging at St Andrews Church at Walkerville. 13th July 1988.


North Adelaide art gallery owner Jim Elder selects the winning entry from a children's art competition. Walkerville Fair Co-ordinator Sue Davidson looks on. 17th September 1986.


Wyn Cummings of Gilberton doing her exercises at the Walkerville Community Information Centre. 1st August 1990.


Can someone give me a hand? Mark, 3, of Gilberton has fun in a pit full on foam at The Y at Walkerville. The local Y is embarking on a fundraising drive to raise $150,000 to upgrade its equipment. 5 April 1989.


All geared up and ready for the Walkerville YMCA grand prix for radio-controlled cars are (from left) Russell, Brenton, Chris, Nik, Matthew, Tom, Stephen, Michael, Nils and Conrad. 4 May 1988.


Actors, dancers, musicians
Linda & Liz Zaccara, Walkerville.


Actors, dancers, musicians
Nicole Windsor, Lockleys, Walkerville Players.