Find • union • Results 451 to 480 of 1,111


Lady Norrie visiting children at Bowden Kindergarten.
Lady Patricia Norrie visiting children at Bowden Kindergarten, including Greg Gordon in the middle and Anthony Reichett on the left (both aged between 3-4 years), painting at the easel. The other woman towards the back is likely to be Miss Eileen Thomas.


Miscellaneous badges
Collection of miscellaneous circular tin button badges, as well as small metal and enamel badges and lapel pins with pin attachments on reverse, belonging to Molly Brannigan, including badges collected on holidays and conferences in Australia and other countries, schools, and community groups and societies. See below for details.


World War 1 and 2 era fundraising button badges
World War One era badges (also known as buttons or 'tinnies') collected by the R.S.L. Most badges were designed and created to be puchased as a fundraising interest, in order to raise money for various factions of the Red Cross. Included are badges created for occasions such as Australia Day, Violet Day, Army Nurses Day, and French Day, and for charity groups including the Red Cross, the Cheer-Up Society, the R.S.A. Building Fund (Returned Soldiers' Association, which later became the R.S.L.), the Wattle Day League, Soldiers' Home, Children's Patriotic League, Nursing Society, and the Y.M.C.A., as well as official peace badges marking the end of the war and various miscellaneous badges including a Christian Endeavour convention, fundraising carnivals and memorial gardens. Also includes some button badges from the inter-war years, 1919-1938, and from the Second World War, and other metal badges from WW1 and WW2. See below for details.


World War 1 and 2 era fundraising button badges
World War One era badges (also known as buttons or 'tinnies') collected by the R.S.L. Most badges were designed and created to be puchased as a fundraising interest, in order to raise money for various factions of the Red Cross. Included are badges created for occasions such as Australia Day, Violet Day, Army Nurses Day, and French Day, and for charity groups including the Red Cross, the Cheer-Up Society, the R.S.A. Building Fund (Returned Soldiers' Association, which later became the R.S.L.), the Wattle Day League, Soldiers' Home, Children's Patriotic League, Nursing Society, and the Y.M.C.A., as well as official peace badges marking the end of the war and various miscellaneous badges including a Christian Endeavour convention, fundraising carnivals and memorial gardens. Also includes some button badges from the inter-war years, 1919-1938, and from the Second World War, and other metal badges from WW1 and WW2. See below for details.

South Australian politicians at various events
A collection of photographs of people and events associated with South Australian politicians. In addition to the photographs, it also includes a number of photocopied pages with additional photos and the captions which were used with the images (items 68-79), and a 35mm slide of an unidentified man (item 80). A selection have been digitised and may be viewed online (do an ARCHIVAL NUMBER search on B 71858); the rest may requested and viewed in the Reading Room.


Series 067: Murray River during 1931 floods
Aerial photographs of the River Murray in flood. Views include Mannum and the Murray Bridge wharf precinct, and unidentified parts of the river which show the floodwaters encroaching on properties.


Mounted Police Barracks
MOUNTED POLICE BARRACKS: Rooms on the eastern quadrangle which were used at one time by the University Women's Union. They were later used by the Art Gallery until they were demolished in 1960.


Mounted Police Barracks
MOUNTED POLICE BARRACKS: The chimney of one of the rooms used at one time by the University Women's Union.


Congregation Chapel Angaston
Congregational Chapel, now Lutheran Church at Angaston. c 1855-1860. In 1854-1855 the Union Congregation built a new and larger church in Angaston known now as Zion Lutheran Church


First Stone Building
First stone building at Angaston.


Butter Factory, Auburn
Taylor Bros. Butter Factory, opened in 1920; taken over by Farmers' Co-operative Union in the 1940s. The butter factory was built on the site of Auburn's second brewery which was demolished and replaced by farm buildings. These were later converted to the butter factory. A horse and buggy and three people can be seen outside the factory


Berri
Co-operative packing Union Ltd.


Dwelling, Beulah Park
House in Union Street, Beulah Park built by Edward Absom Pemberton. The two children playing in the garden are his children Adelaide Claire and Edwin Noel.


Council Chamber, Clarendon
Council Chamber at Clarendon was built in 1854 as the home of the Bible Christian Community until the Methodist Union in 1899-1900. The church building was then sold to the Clarendon Council. The building was constructed of line-pointed sandstone rubble with large shaped stones as quoins and arched windows and had a slate roof.


Darwin
Darwin's "Little Rebellion", Nelson (Union Secretary) and Watts (Mayor of Darwin) address Dr. Gilruth. A little later the mob broke the fence and surged into Government House grounds, forcing the official to retreat to the Residence.


Ebenezer
Ebenezer - St. Johns re-union.


Glenelg
[General description] A crowd of people pose for the photographer under the arch of the Old Gum Tree at Glenelg. A copy of the Proclamation is nailed to the tree. There is no wind as the Union Flag hangs limp on its flagpole. [On back of photograph] 'The Old Gum Tree, Glenelg / June 18, 1887 / Ceremony of planting trees at the site of the old tree to make the spot more attractive / Arranged by the Glenelg Town Council / Members of the Glenelg Band on the left / Observer, June 25ht, 1887, 29A / For identity of some of those present see B 7094'.


Methodist Church, Inkerman
Methodist Church at South Inkerman is located in the Port Wakefield Circuit. The foundation stone was laid in October 27, 1885 by David Strongman. It was used by the local Literary Society until 1892 and by the Methodists after Union from 1900. Inkerman is located between Port Wakefield and Dublin


Garden at Hahndorf
In the garden at the rear of the Union Hotel at Hahndorf. Bill Paech is centre.


Brass Band, Kadina
KADINA: The A.W.U. Brass Band, winners of the Yorke Peninsula contest, 27 December 1913. Back row: T. Betts; J. Ruby (Committee); G. Trenwith; W.J. Harwood; A.H. Head (Drum Major); A. Ramsey; S. Maroney; H. Lloyd (Hon. Secretary); J.R. Richards (Committee). Second row: J. Brown; C.W. Jerdan; J. Mutton; B. Clark; A. Hine; G.Johns; M. Martin. Third row: S. Skews; S. Phillips; C.E. Ramsey; R. Tonkin; W. Champion (Conductor); W.E. Roberts; A.B. Hancock; S. Varcoe; A. Craddock. Front row: C. Penhall; H. Trenwith; A. Trenwith; W. Cadd.


McLaren Vale Memorial
McLaren Vale Great War Memorial: unveiling ceremony by Governor Hore Ruthven, 1 July 1933. The Governor has just unfoiled the Union Jack Flag from the front of the memorial and a brass plaque is shown naming those residents who died fighting in the Great War of 1914-1918.


McLaren Vale Public Hall
McLaren Vale Public Hall: opening ceremony by Governor Hore Ruthven, 1 July 1933. The Governor has just unfoiled the Union Jack Flag from the front of the War Memorial and a brass plaque is shown naming those residents who died fighting in the Great War of 1914-1918. The War Memorial is situated in front of the newly opened Public Hall.


Savings Bank, Maitland
[General description] This solid building exudes confidence with its neo-classical styling. It was built for the Savings Bank of South Australia in 1929 on land purchased from the Union Bank. [On back of photograph] 'Savings Bank, Maitland / 1932 / Reproduced in Chronicle, September 8, 1932'.


Pulteney Malcolm Murray
Pulteney Malcolm Murray, the son of John Murray and Ester Cowan, born 1819 Langholm, Scotland. He arrived in South Australia on the 'Lady Lilford' in 1839. He married Mary Scott in 1846, they had four children before Mary died on 11/11/1856, aged 38. On 10/2/1857 he married Elizabeth Vigar in the Union Chapel, Truro. They had eight children between 1857 and 1875. He died on 10/11/1879 at his residence Glen Turret near Truro.


Church, Moonta
Primitive Methodist chapel, Moonta - erected c.1865. In 1874 a gallery was built on three sides which increased the seating accommodation to 800. At the same time an "orchestra" was built behind the pulpit. Weather-board structure, was a Social Hall. After Methodist Union in 1900 the chapel was used for Sunday School.


Nobes Office and Action Rooms, Mount Gambier
[General description] Nobes Office, Auction Rooms and Sale Yards of George M. Nobes, Mount Gambier. Fencing, paddocks and gum trees can be seen in the background and the road in front of the white building looks suitably muddy. [On back of photograph] 'Geo M. Nobes Office & Auction Rooms & Sale Yards. Corner Ferrars St. & Commercial Road Mt. Gambier built before 1870 / Road Board Office top storey now Union Bank'.


Bay Road, Mount Gambier
Union Day March down Bay Road, Mount Gambier. Post Office and Methodist Church can be seen in the background


Naracoorte
[General description] Looking along a wide road in a very quiet Naracoorte township. A buggy is parked at the kerb. The premises of the Union Bank of Australia can be seen on the right.


Smith Street, Naracoorte
View of Smith Street from the town square Fidler & Webb's store became the Union Bank.


"Wheal Margaret" Gold Mine
"Wheal Margaret" Gold Mine (known as 'Bismarck's Claim') at Extended Union.