Find • gill • Results 451 to 480 of 602


Hanson Street
Hanson Street, west side, 19th March 1956, left side of the left hand structure is 17.5 yards north of Gilles Street. Both structures have a frontage of 13 3/4 yards each and there is a three yard gap between them


Pulteney Street
Pulteney Street, West Side, 29th March 1977, Pulteney Street frontage is 12 metres and the site is 30.4 metres deep and 9.1 metres north of Gilles Street.


Pulteney Street
Pulteney Street, West Side, 29th March 1977, Pulteney Street frontage is 12 metres, site is 30.4 metres deep and 9.1 metres north of Gilles Street.


Pulteney Street
Pulteney Street, West Side, 29th March 1977, frontage is 12 metres, site is 30.4 metres deep and 9.1 metres north of Gilles Street.


Gilles Street
Gillis Street, north side, 10th August 1973, right side of the building is 36 yards west of Stephens Street and frontage is 8 1/3 yards.


Hallett Street
Hallett Street, east side, 24th January 1956, right side of centre building is 24 3/4 yards north of Gilles Street and frontage is 10.5 yards. The single storey, single fronted cottages have a parapet at the edge of the roof


Symonds Place, Adelaide
Symonds Place, Adelaide, looking north from Gilles Street, during a flood on 13th February 1913.


Symonds Place
Symonds Place, east side, 23rd February 1961, right side of shed is 40 yards north of Gilles Street and frontage is 8 yards. For building subsequently on this site see B 14590. When this photograph was taken in 1961 the building was "For Sale".


Symonds Place
Symonds Place, east side, 17th December 1962. For site details see B 14559. For building previously on this site see B 14559. This photograph shows the business of Murray Rogers, Lucas Spare Parts. Right side of the site is 40 yards north of Gilles Street and frontage is 8 yards.


Symonds Place, Adelaide
[General description] Buildings and parked cars along the west side of Symonds Place. The brick and stone building centre right is possibly being used as a garage. [On back of photograph] 'Symonds Place, west side / 2nd April 1965 / Left side of site abuts Gilles Sreet / Frontage of building is 71 yards'


Symonds Place
Symonds Place, east side, 29th September 1967, right side of block is 31 yards north of Gilles Street and Symonds Place frontage is 9 yards.


Holland Street near Gilles Street
Holland Street, south side, 3 May 1930. Californian bungalow erected in 1928/29. (see B5097). Far side of bungalow is 35-1/2 yards west of King William Street, frontage: 10 yards. For a photograph of the cottage formerly on the site see B 5097.


King William Street, Adelaide
[General description] City industrial premises seen from the opposite side of King William Street. The hoarding in front of the Cooperative Woodyard features posters advertising a film showing at the Wondergraph, (Milton Sills and Doris Kenyon in Burning Daylight), an advertisement for Vat 69 Whisky and various others. The Enterprise Motor Hire Company is next door, then Carberry's Tyres. [On back of photograph] 'Acre 639 / South corner of Gill Street and King William Street / 22 August 1928 / Behind the hoarding on the corner is a woodyard / King William Street frontages: Woodyard: 20 1/2 yards; Enterprise Motor Hire Co.: 13 yards; Carberry's: 14 yards' (Another hand) 'For view of petrol station erected in 1928 on the corner site see B 5127'.


King William Street, Adelaide
[General description] A row of cars are parked in front of a pair of two storey terrace houses which are about to be remodelled [On back of photograph] 'Acre 639 / King William Street, east side / 16 August 195 / Left side of building is 50 yards south of Gilles Street / Frontage: 20 yards / This building was remodelled in 1955 / For view of building after alterations see B 13585'


King William Street
King William Street, east side, 16 January 1956. Left side of Henty House (Parbury Henty and Company (SA) Limited building is 50 yards south of Gilles Street; frontage: 20 yards. This building was remodelled from an older structure in 1955, see B13095.


Symonds Place, Adelaide, during a flood
Symonds Place, Adelaide, looking south from Gilles Street during a flood, 13 February 1913.


Osmond Street, West Side
Osmond Street, west side, 27 June 1957. Right side of the two cottages is 34 1/4 yards south of Gilles Street. Frontage between the 'x' marks is 18 1/2 yards.


Hanson Street, West Side
Hanson Street, west side, 30 December 1952. Right side of Tonkin Radiators building is 13 1/2 yards south of Gilles Street; frontage: 14 1/2 yards. For a view of Tonkin Radiators building before certain alterations made in 1952 see B 12515


Hutt Street, Adelaide, East Side
[General description] Houses, parked cars and trees in Hutt Street. The small building on the left is being re-modelled. [On back of photograph] 'Acre 655 / Hutt Street, east side / 18 January 1954 / Left side of small gabled building in course of alteration is 41 1/2 yards south of Gilles Street / Frontage: 6 1/2 yards.'


Hutt Street, East Side, Adelaide
[General description] This stone cottage is in process of demolition [On back of photograph] 'Acre 655 / Hutt Street, east side / 9 June 1955 / Left side of cottage is 32 yards south of Gilles Street / Frontage: 10 yards / This cottage was demolished in 1955 / For a view of the service station later erected on this site see B13934'


Hutt Street, East Side
Hutt Street, east side, 21 February 1956. Left side of centre building is 9 yards south of Gilles Street. Frontage: 13 1/4 yards. This building was demolished in 1956, for a view of the service station later erected on this site see B13934.


Hutt Street, East Side
Hutt Street, east side, 1965, showing the Mary Immaculate Church. Left side of the Church is 41 1/2 yards south of Gilles Street. Frontage: 6 1/2 yards. The Daughters of Charity of St Vincents de Paul came to Adelaide in 1854, establishing a convent in Hutt Street. The former house in front of the convent was converted to a small church.


Vincent Street
Vincent Street, east side; 15 February 1954. Left side of cottage without verandah is 50 yards south of Gilles Street. Frontage of cottage without verandah is 11-1/4 yards. This cottage remodelled c. 1954.


St. John's Lane
St. John's Lane, looking south from Gilles Street. It appears wide and the south parklands can be seen at the end of the lane. The back of the buildings associated with St Andrews Hospital are adjacent to St John's Lane.


Destitute Asylum, Adelaide
Old Destitute Asylum Buildings, Adelaide, November 7th 1918. Section C, east side, building 26. Described by Mr. T Gill as being the barracks of the Imperial troops. For notes and plan showing site see State Records ref. GRG 27/32.


Clifford Labram MM
No.1068 Lance Corporal Clifford Jabez Roy Labram, B Section, 4th Field Ambulance, was born on 10 May 1895 in Southwark, South Australia, the youngest son of Thomas Labram and Mary Jane nee Gill. Clifford was a labourer at the time of his attestation in September 1914. He served at Gallipoli and in France, being wounded in action twice, on 2 April 1917 and on 13 October 1917, and being awarded the Military Medal for bravery in the field on 14 October 1917. Clifford died of wounds received in action on 14 October 1917. He is buried in the Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Belgium.


L. H. Howie
PORTRAIT: Laurence Hotham Howie, artist and teacher of Adelaide, South Australia.


Australia Day celebrations, 1917
GENERAL: A group of men, women, and young people dressed in costume and holding flags to celebrate Australia Day which was held on July 27 in 1917; names recorded on the verso of original are as follows: Mr. Rawlings; Arch Vivian; Giff Norman; Gill Jones; Les Norman; Keith Le Cornu; Max Nairne; L. Le Cornu; G. Hounslow; E. Wiltshire; J. Nairne; Jo Woodard; K. Nairne; M. Morris; Mrs Heron; Miss Noods; D. Robinson; G. Wiltshire; Mr. Allen; M. Wiltshire; B. Barrett; S. Wiltshire; P. Prideaux; H. Jennings; Frank Scrutton; Bill Nairne.


Mounted and foot policemen, at Port Augusta
PORT AUGUSTA: Mounted and foot policemen standing on the steps of the Port Augusta courthouse. Front row, left to right: Frank Holmes; Cyril Trounson; Sgt. Gibbons; Sam Day; George Kearison. Back row: W.V. Vercoe; Mr Gilles (Clerk of Local Court); J. M. Beerworth; Martin Shea (Inspector's Clerk); James M. Kelly.


Changing a tyre
GENERAL: Changing a tyre. The registration number 251 on the Chevrolet was first issued to J.E. Gill, of Semaphore, in 1907.