Find • Wallaroo • Results 1 to 30 of 1,101

Wallaroo and Moonta Mining and Smelting Company Limited : SUMMARY RECORD

Records of Wallaroo and Moonta Mining and Smelting Company Limited comprising Wallaroo Mines minute books, 1860-1891, and outward letter books, 1860-1882; Moonta Mines minute books, 1861-1891, and outward letter books, 1863-1869; minute books of the joint company, 1890-1923, annual, general and half-yearly meetings minute book, 1890-1923; annual reports and statements of accounts, 1890-1923; deeds of settlement & co-partnership, 1861-1889; statistical tables, 1860-1923; reports, 1871-1872; appeal to the Privy Council 1914; history of the company c.1890-1922; annual reports of Moonta Mining Company, 1861-1873, 1889; reports relating to amalgamation, 1889; agreement document of amalgamation of Wallaroo and Moonta companies as the Wallaroo and Moonta Mining and Smelting Company Limited (formerly A 750); blueprints for the Wallaroo Mines plants, 1916-1919; photographs of the Wallaroo Mines c. 1914-1920.

Kernewek Lowender and other celebrations in Kadina, Wallaroo and Moonta.

Kernewek Lowender and other celebrations in Kadina, Wallaroo and Moonta.

13 colour photographs of the Cornish festival Kernewek Lowender and other celebrations in the Yorke Peninsula region including Kadina, Wallaroo and Moonta. Events include the 'Kernewek Lowender' at Moonta the 'Furry Dance' at Kadina, the Royal Caledonian Pipes and Band at Wallaroo Town Hall and Fireworks at Wallaroo Bay, 2001.

Wallaroo Mines views

Wallaroo Mines views

Views of Wallaroo Mines mine areas and township (captions as written in white ink on frames). See 'Contents' note for details. Part of a collection of lantern slides of the Copper Triangle towns - see also B 72434/1-7 and B 72436.

Murray's snapshots of Wallaroo

Murray's snapshots of Wallaroo

A selection of eight views of Wallaroo taken in the 1930s or 1940's, produced by Murray Views, Gympie (Qld). The jetty featured was built in 1927, and the demolition of the smelters is complete. Each image has a number, but the numbers in the set are not sequential. See 'contents' for details of items.

Scenes at Wallaroo

Scenes at Wallaroo

Two photographs by Edwin Duryea of Wallaroo scenes. See 'Contents' for details.

New Wallaroo Jetty

New Wallaroo Jetty

[General description] Steam and horse-power work together at the new Wallaroo jetty. A smoke plume puffs from the funnel of the Swedish steamship Unden as she lies alongside the new jetty as bags of wheat are hoisted aboard. A small locomotive approaches along the jetty and some heavy horses can be seen behind a wagon. In the foreground rail tracks criss cross the jetty. [On back of photograph] 'South Australia / New Wallaroo jetty, first vessel to load wheat. Opened for traffic Aug. 1, 1927'.

Wallaroo Smelters

Wallaroo Smelters

Wallaroo Smelters. Copper was discovered at Wallaroo in 1859 and later a smelter was built near the port facility. More chimney stacks were added and after only seven years Wallaroo was described as the largest in the world. By 1875 Wallaroo was one of the largest seaports in South Australia as water transport was the only means of bringing in coal for the smelters and shipping out the copper metal. In 1909 copper converters were imported from the United States which resulted in energy savings.

Wallaroo Smelters

Wallaroo Smelters

Wallaroo Smelters, unloading rough ore at acid burners. Copper was discovered at Wallaroo in 1859 and later a smelter was built near the port facility. More chimney stacks were added and after only seven years Wallaroo was described as the largest in the world. By 1875 Wallaroo was one of the largest seaports in South Australia as water transport was the only means of bringing in coal for the smelters and shipping out the copper metal. In 1909 copper converters were imported from the United States which resulted in energy savings.

Wallaroo

Wallaroo

Wallaroo showing the Cornucopia Hotel. The proprietor at this time was Mrs ED Bryden. This hotel in Owen Terrace existed since 1862. This two storey hotel is located in the heart of Wallaroo

Wallaroo Mines

Wallaroo Mines

[On back of photograph] 'Elder's Pumping Engine / Wallaroo Mines / Made by Harvey & Co., Hayle, Cornwall for the short-lived 'New Cornwall' mine near Kadina. It cost 30,000 pounds and was sold to the Wallaroo Mining Company for 3,000 pounds. The stones of the building were numbered and put up in the same position at Elder's shaft at Wallaroo Mines / Diameter of cylinder 80 inches / weight of beam 30 tons / stroke 13 feet / diameter of steam pipe 16 inches / diameter of pump column 14 inches / average speed 5 strokes per minute / Beam was branded 'New Cornwall Mines, South Australia; F.W. Basset Engineer 1892' (Oswald Pryor 12-2-52)

Flotation Machine, Wallaroo

Flotation Machine, Wallaroo

Flotation machine; showing rich copper concentrate flowing into launder which conveys it to the storage bin. The first small flotation unit was installed at Devon Plant, Wallaroo Mines in 1911 (vide Annual Report Wallaroo and Moonta Co. 1911) at the Wallaroo Mines.

Wallaroo Soldiers Memorial Arch

Wallaroo Soldiers Memorial Arch

Unveiling ceremony at Wallaroo Soldiers Memorial Arch. The Wallaroo Soldiers Memorial Arch was unveiled on the 30th July 1924 by Col. C.P.Butler. The Memorial Arch was erected through the efforts of the Wallaroo Cheer-up Society and the local branch R.S.S.I.L.A., and supported by the public. [Information provided by N.Woods.]

New Wallaroo Jetty

New Wallaroo Jetty

[General description] Railway lines dominate the foreground with stationary rolling stock in the siding. A steamer berthed at the new jetty is seen in the distance. [On back of photograph] 'New Wallaroo jetty, showing the first steamer to berth. Opened for traffic, Aug. 1, 1927'.

Wallaroo Smelters

Wallaroo Smelters

Wallaroo Smelters were constructed in 1861 by the owners of the Wallaroo Mines to process ore. After the opening of the smelter the mines exported ingots of copper, and later gold, silver and lead. The Hughes Stack (original chimney) was used as a navigation marker for shipping.

Wallaroo Cemetery

Wallaroo Cemetery

[General description] Monument to Mrs Caroline Carleton, composer of the Song of Australia, in Wallaroo Cemetery with Mayor of Wallaroo, Dr. W.A. Harbison. She died at Matta House, Wallaroo on the 10th July, 1874.

Wallaroo Town Hall

Wallaroo Town Hall

[General description] Wallaroo Town Hall and War Memorial Arch. The Town Hall was built in 1902 and was gutted by fire in 1917 with only the external walls left standing. It was remodelled under the supervision of Adelaide Architect Mr. Quinton Bruce, and re-opened in late February, 1919, the clock being gifted by Mr. Richard Tonkin. The Memorial Arch in front of the Town Hall was unveiled July 30th, 1924 attended by a crowd of approximately 2000 people.

Wallaroo Jetty

Wallaroo Jetty

[General description] Three ships are moored at the Wallaroo Jetty, with two others further out to sea. They are mostly three masted square riggers. In the foreground are buildings and railway lines out onto the jetty. [On back of photograph] 'Wallaroo Jetty / in the early eighteen seventies / The jetty was built by Gouge in 1861 for the Kadina and Wallaroo Railway and Pier Company / On the left is the Railway Office (note by Mr. O. Pryor) / Copy made from Mr. A.D. Edwardes' negative'.

Town Hall, Wallaroo

Town Hall, Wallaroo

Town Hall and Soldiers Memorial, Wallaroo. A fire at the Town Hall in 1917 necessitated the rebuilding the Council Chambers. The tower was rebuilt and a clock was installed in the front facade. A Memorial Arch was erected in front of the Town Hall to commemorate the fifty soldiers from the town who died in World War One.

Wallaroo Inn

Wallaroo Inn

Wallaroo Inn. The proprietor at the time of the photograph was Ellen Waters. She held this position from 1884 - September 4, 1895. One of the two ladies in the photograph is possibly Ellen Waters.

Globe Hotel, Wallaroo

Globe Hotel, Wallaroo

WALLAROO: The Globe Hotel, Wallaroo; the hotel was leased to Sarah Jane Francis (formerly Nottle) from 1890-1895, she is the shortest woman standing in front of a window with her husband, William Francis, and their four daughters, left to right, Jane, Margaret, Alice, and Elizabeth (sitting). A note on the back of the photographs states "Built by W Square (late of Gawler Town). Since building the above he has made additional alterations. The luxury of baths will be added to the establishment." This is an abstract from an advertisment in JB Austin's "Mines of South Australia", 1863. This single storey building existed from 1861 and was also known as the Globe Hotel and the Weerona Hotel. It was built by W Square in 1861. Mrs Sarah Francis was the proprietor from 1890 - 1895.

Wallaroo Jetty

Wallaroo Jetty

[General description] A busy scene of shipping, both sail and steam, moored at Wallaroo Jetty. Horse drawn rail wagons haul bags of grain to be loaded onto the ships whilst passengers wait to board. On the left is the 3 masted ship 'Cambuskenneth', registered in Tvedestrand, Sweden, owned at this time by Alex Bech & Co. This ship was subsequently sunk on 29 June 1915 by German submarine U-39. [On back of photograph] 'Wallaroo Jetty / 1907-12 / *1905-10 see letter D.M. Fyfe 1971 / Wallaroo National Trust'.

Wallaroo Jetty

Wallaroo Jetty

Wallaroo Jetty. Wallaroo has had three jetties only one of which remains. The first one was constructed in 1861 and extended 1,000 feet in 1864. In 1880 another jetty was built and this was extended in 1902. By 1874 Wallaroo was the second port for South Australia. As well as copper, outbound cargoes included flour, wool and hides. Inbound cargoes included explosives for the mines, timber for the jetties, coal, potatoes and later superphosphate for the farms

Wallaroo Smelters

Wallaroo Smelters

Crane for hauling small coal for Wallaroo Smelters. The Wallaroo Smelters operated from 1861 to 1926 on the foreshore at Port Wallaroo

Wallaroo Jetty

Wallaroo Jetty

Shipping at Wallaroo Jetty.

Wallaroo Smelting Works

Wallaroo Smelting Works

Wallaroo Smelting Works, Jack Bigg's Coffee Pot.

Wallaroo Jetty

Wallaroo Jetty

Loading wheat at Wallaroo jetty.

Wallaroo Jetty

Wallaroo Jetty

Wallaroo jetty with ships: Reinschied, Wolfram, Isis, Bayandum, Delungra and Iron Monarch.

Magazine Beach, Wallaroo

Magazine Beach, Wallaroo

Old Powder at Magazine Beach, Wallaroo. The Wallaroo Powder Magazine was built in 1867 for the storage of explosives for the Wallaroo and Moonta Mines. The tender to build it was won by Mr. R. Anderson for 617 pounds, and was built under the supervision of Mr.W. Beattie. Government Clerk of Works. [Information provided by N.Woods.]

Wallaroo Mines Federal Band

Wallaroo Mines Federal Band

Wallaroo Mines Federal Band.

Wallaroo Hospital Nurses

Wallaroo Hospital Nurses

Wallaroo Hospital Nurses: Sexton, Allen, Richardson and Barren.