Find • Sweet, Samuel White, 1825-1886 • Results 1 to 30 of 1,128

Dean Russell's funeral procession from St Pauls

Dean Russell's funeral procession from St Pauls

Crowds gathered at the corner of North Terrace and King William Street as the funeral procession for Alexander Russell passes. Horse tram 82 is visible in the foreground. (Sweet Adelaide).

Samuel White Sweet

Samuel White Sweet

[General description] A full-length portrait of a bearded Samuel White Sweet, standing with his right hand resting on an elaborately carved table. He is wearing a cap and double breasted jacket and holding a furled umbrella in his left hand. He left his career as a Master Mariner in the British Navy to become one of Australia's first great outdoor photographers.

Samuel White Sweet

Samuel White Sweet

[General description] Head and shoulders portrait of Samuel White Sweet. He wears a double breasted jacket and a colourful cravat and sports mutton chop whiskers. He was a sea captain who retired from the sea in 1875 and opened up a photographic studio in Adelaide. He travelled through South Australia in his horse-drawn darkroom photographing landscapes, outback stations and homesteads. A large collection of his work is held in the South Australian Archives.

Samuel White Sweet

Samuel White Sweet

Portrait of Samuel White Sweet, seated with his left hand resting on a table.

Adelaide Arcade

Adelaide Arcade

Captain Sweet's premises in the Adelaide Arcade, off Rundle Street, south side. The show window displays framed photographs taken by Captain Sweet Landscape Photographer

Dean Russell's funeral procession from St Pauls

Dean Russell's funeral procession from St Pauls

Funeral procession exiting St Paul's Church and crowds gathered for the funeral for Alexander Russell, Dean of Adelaide, who died in 1886. (Sweet Adelaide).

Dean Russell's funeral at St Pauls

Dean Russell's funeral at St Pauls

Crowds gathered and view of horses and buggies waiting in Flinders Street during the funeral for Alexander Russell, Dean of Adelaide, who died in 1886. (Sweet Adelaide).

Railway Station Adelaide

Railway Station Adelaide

Adelaide Railway Station. (Sweet Adelaide 50).

North Adelaide

North Adelaide

Behind the houses and gardens of Stanley Street is the open expanse of parkland. The city can be seen further in the distance. In the centre right a building is under construction. [On back of photograph] '1875-79. Looking south from the north side of Stanley Street. The extreme left is 41 1/2 yards east of New Street. Critical factors in determination of date are the white clock face of the G.P.O. and the presence of the old bridge on the Frome Road. This is the central portion of a panorama of three views of which B 1005 is the right portion and B 9202, the left.' (Sweet Adelaide 378).

White Hart Hotel, Hindley street

White Hart Hotel, Hindley street

White Hart Hotel, south side of Hindley Street east corner of Peel Street, frontage is 13 yards. The White Hart Hotel existed from 1840 and was also known as Volunteer. It was demolished in 1973. At the time of this photograph the proprietor was FW August Klauer.

Sweet Collection folders, volume 6

Sweet Collection folders, volume 6

Volume 6 in a collection of photographs by Captain Samuel Sweet, arranged in six folders. Each photograph in Folders 1-5 and some in Folder 6 have separate records in the catalogue and have been previously digitised. By searching on Collection: Sweet Collection, these records can be drawn together. Additional photographs in Folder 6 can be viewed by taking the browse album link attached to the record B 72483/6.

Grave of Captain Samuel Sweet

Grave of Captain Samuel Sweet

Grave of Captain Samuel White Sweet. Captain Sweet died of Apoplexy at Riverton on 4 January 1886 and his funeral was conducted at the North Road Cemetery on 5 January 1886.

Mitcham

Mitcham

Woman with an umbrella pictured on the roadway under large gums near the corner of Old Belair Road and Evans Avenue, Mitcham, marked 'Sweet Adelaide 584'. A researcher has suggested that the woman may be Elizabeth Sweet, wife of photographer Samuel Sweet. See also B 3723 and B 43123 for other photographs taken by Samuel Sweet, featuring his wife.

Adelaide views

Adelaide views

An album of photographs by SW Sweet, featuring scenes around Adelaide.

Adelaide Arcade interior

Adelaide Arcade interior

Adelaide Arcade viewed from upper level at Rundle Street end with everyone standing still for the photograph to be taken. Ornate fountains can be seen in the middle of the arcade with the nearest one representing two children holding an umbrella. A staircase leading below ground level is surrounded by wrought iron railings. Beautiful electric lamps line the arcade and others hang suspended from the ceiling. The arcade was one of the first Adelaide buildings to use electric lighting. The Carrara marble and black and white encaustic tiles form elegant designs. It is possible that the man on the right is the Arcade's caretaker, Francis Cluney, who died in 1887. He was found mangled in the electric light generator. He was known to always wear a top hat, long coat and an array of military badges down the left side of his chest, as shown in this photograph. The photograph was most likely taken on 12 December 1885, the opening day of the new Adelaide Arcade. An illustration based on Sweet's photograph appeared in the Pictorial Australian of 1 January 1886.

Bridge workers, Murray Bridge

Bridge workers, Murray Bridge

The men working on the construction of the Bridge taking a break. The Adelaide to the Victorian border line is 60 miles from Adelaide and the bridge had 5 spans of 121 feet each, and 23 spans of 60 feet each. The copy in Sweet Collection folder 4 has Sweet signature, (Sweet Adelaide 429). The bridge was completed in 1879 and by 1886 it carried the railway line as well. The increasing weight of rolling stock meant that a new rail bridge was built in 1925

Shipping, Port Adelaide

Shipping, Port Adelaide

[General description] Reflections on still water make this an attractive image of shipping at Port Adelaide with the Jervois bridge forming a division between sea and sky. A small boy is seated on a spar in the foreground. The Crownthorpe was an iron Barque, built at Sunderland in 1873. She was dismasted and abandoned at the Cape of Good Hope 30th June 1886. [On back of photograph] 'Port Adelaide / 1879 / The second sailing vessel from the left is the Crownthorpe / Jervois Bridge is in the background (Sweet Adelaide 208).'

Letters from George Tilly

Letters from George Tilly

Letters from George Tilly to his daughter Elizabeth (Betsey) and son-in-law, Samuel White Sweet. Includes two original letters and a copy of a third in which the date has been cut off.

Quorn Railway Station

Quorn Railway Station

Quorn Railway Station. Sweet Adelaide 514. Quorn Railway Station opened on 15 December 1879 as the interim terminus of the Central Australian Railway from Port Augusta. In 1881 Quorn became a junction station with the opening of the Peterborough-Quorn railway line. The photograph, taken from a height, shows multiple railway lines, the station and further buildings in the background.

Roper River Jetty

Roper River Jetty

Overland Telegraph party at the Roper River Jetty. Copy in Sweet Collection folder 5 has Sweet signature (Sweet Adelaide 883).

Strathalbyn

Strathalbyn

View of Strathalbyn. Copy in Sweet Collection folder 5 has Sweet signature (Sweet Adelaide 383). View of old track and ford to cross River Angas before St Andrew's Bridge installed. Probably taken from the Southern Argus building looking east. St Andrew's Church and bridge in background. (information supplied by a researcher).

Brownhill Creek, Mitcham

Brownhill Creek, Mitcham

[General description] This view shows Brownhill Creek meandering amongst gum trees through which a bridge can be seen. In the foreground a lady and child, possibly Elizabeth Sweet and one of her children, are sitting on the creek bank. [On back of photograph] 'Brownhill Creek / Probably 1873-86 (Captain Sweet photographer)'.

Rundle Street

Rundle Street

Rundle Street, South Side, showing entrance to Adelaide Arcade. Smudged Sweet signature, possibly Sweet Adelaide 72 or 92. The photograph shows Rundle Street looking west from a point opposite nearby near Twin Street. The Coat of Arms on the cupola of the Adelaide Arcade is of interest. When the arcade was built in 1885 the promoters decided to hold a competition to design a Coat of Arms as there was not one at the time. There was much discussion about the Australian Colonies adopting a Coat of Arms. Later in 1908 King Edward VII officially granted the Coat of Arms but it was replaced in 1912 by King George V and the 2nd Commonwealth Coat of Arms. The difference is the positioning of the native animals and the words Advance Australia. In the photograph the electricity poles can be seen along Rundle Street. Electricity was introduced in 1895.

Botanic Gardens

Botanic Gardens

Botanic Gardens with view of the animal enclosure. [on verso] Animals transferred to Zoological gardens 1883. The attractive hexagonal shaped animal house stands amid wide paths and flower beds. In the distance stands a large gum tree with a wooden seat encircling it. Another couple of benches have been placed under a shady tree to the right of the photograph.

Victoria Square looking south

Victoria Square looking south

Eastern side of Victoria Square, looking south (Sweet Adelaide 325), from the top of the Treasury Building. King William Street divides the two sides of the square. Wakefield Street divides the garden into halves which are fenced with iron pailings and contain benches and shrubs. The Law Courts and Supreme Court Buildings can be seen at the southern end of the square and the Torrens Building is on the eastern side. Another copy is in Sweet Collection folder 3.

Beltana Station

Beltana Station

Distant view of Beltana Station (Sweet Adelaide 929). This copy has Sweet signature. A near duplicate is at B 62376.

Grove Hill Norton Summit

Grove Hill Norton Summit

Grove Hill pines and orchard. Copy in Folder 2 has Sweet signature. (Sweet Adelaide 608). Another copy is in album B 72111/95.

Pewsey Vale Station bell

Pewsey Vale Station bell

The Station bell at Pewsey Vale. Children are sitting on a water cart. There is a large pile of felled timber in the background. (Sweet Adelaide 635). Another copy (without Sweet signature) is at B 61940.

Creek, Bridgewater

Creek, Bridgewater

View of Bridgewater Mill on Cox's Creek. There is a bridge made from trimmed branches to cross the Creek. (Sweet Adelaide 684). The photograph shows mill workers watching as an elderly gentleman begins to cross the creek on a rickety branch. Another worker is fishing in the creek

Clarendon

Clarendon

Clarendon and the River Onkaparinga. (Sweet Adelaide 515) Photograph shows the Onkaparinga River flowing through the township of Clarendon. A few buildings on part of the main street can be seen. The hills on the left are covered with vineyards. It is a peaceful, tranquil scene.