Find • Adelaide town hall • Results 1 to 30 of 795

Opening Ball at the Adelaide Town Hall

Opening Ball at the Adelaide Town Hall

Photograph of a painting by James Shaw of the opening ball held in the Adelaide Town Hall on 22 June 1866, part of the celebrations of the visit of the Duke of Edinburgh. A colour copy of the painting can be found at B 3749.

Adelaide Town Hall

Adelaide Town Hall

View of Adelaide Town Hall decorated for the Queen's coronation.

Adelaide Town Hall and Post Office

Adelaide Town Hall and Post Office

View of Adelaide Town Hall decorated for the Queen's coronation, and the Post Office.

Opening Ball, Adelaide Town Hall. June 22, 1866.

Opening Ball, Adelaide Town Hall. June 22, 1866.

Adapted from the original framed oil painting and collage on canvas by James Shaw entitled "Opening Ball in the Town Hall Adelaide 22nd June 1866" signed and dated 1867 by the artist. It has the very unusual feature of cropped photographic prints of men's faces collaged to the painted figures (the original is held in the Adelaide City Council Civic collection archive Civic Collection item: CC000027). This item is a photographic image from a glass plate negative of artist James Shaw's original painting, showing Adelaide society dancing at the Opening Ball at the Adelaide Town Hall. Kept with this item is a Christmas card from the Lord Mayor, Lady Mayoress, Aldermen and Councillors dated Christmas, 1950, which has included a copy of this image. Inscribed on the back of photograph are the words 'Opening Ball, Adelaide Town Hall. June 22, 1866. From an oil painting made by J. Shaw in 1867 (Vide plate on original picture at the Adelaide Town Hall). Shaw made a sketch of the event on June 22, 1866, using an architectural plan for details of the interior (vide S.A. Register, June 29, 1866, 2d). The gasoliers at the Town Hall, however, were probably not installed on the occasion depicted, these fittings, newly arrived from England, being apparently placed into general use for the first time on Aug. 21, 1866. (Vide S.A.Register Aug. 21, 1866, 2d.)' There are two copies of this image, one presented by Mr. Leo (?) Holman and the other by Miss L.L. Ayers.

Interior of the banqueting hall and council chambers in the Adelaide Town Hall

Interior of the banqueting hall and council chambers in the Adelaide Town Hall

A group of photographs showing sections of the banqueting hall and the council chambers within the Adelaide Town Hall. Close detail of parts of the ornate work on the ceiling and windows are included. See 'contents' for details of items.

Piano recital at Adelaide Town Hall

Piano recital at Adelaide Town Hall

Interior of Adelaide Town Hall, King William Street. View looking from the stage at the front of the Town Hall towards the seating and balcony filled with an audience watching a musical recital by a young girl playing a grand piano on the stage.

View of the Adelaide Town Hall from the General Post Office Tower

View of the Adelaide Town Hall from the General Post Office Tower

View of the Adelaide Town Hall and clock tower taken from the General Post Office Tower.

Premises of Adelaide Town Hall and the Prince Alfred Hotel

Premises of Adelaide Town Hall and the Prince Alfred Hotel

The premises of the Adelaide Town Hall and the Prince Alfred Hotel in King William Street; two steeplejacks are climbing the town hall's spire and have nearly reached the top.

Adelaide Town Hall

Adelaide Town Hall

Adelaide Town Hall, King William Street, Adelaide. Shows the corner of Pirie and King William Streets.

Choir and orchestra in Adelaide Town Hall

Choir and orchestra in Adelaide Town Hall

Adelaide Harmony Society choir and Norwood Wesley Choir at the Adelaide Town Hall for a rehearsal for Handel's Messiah which was performed over two evenings on 13 & 15 December 1923. The conductor was Samuel Gould, the leader of the orchestra Sylvia Whitington and the 1st cellist Harold Parsons. This was the first time the work had been performed in its entirety in Australia.

Views of SA, WA, Vic & NSW : Adelaide Town Hall

Views of SA, WA, Vic & NSW : Adelaide Town Hall

The premises of the Adelaide Town Hall with the Prince Alfred Hotel next door in King William Street, Adelaide.

Adelaide views: Town Hall

Adelaide views: Town Hall

View of the Adelaide Town Hall and the adjoining buildings.

Adelaide Harmony Choir and orchestra in Adelaide Town Hall

Adelaide Harmony Choir and orchestra in Adelaide Town Hall

Adelaide Harmony Society choir and Norwood Wesley Choir at the Adelaide Town Hall for a rehearsal for Handel's Messiah which was performed over two evenings on 13 & 15 December 1923. The conductor was Samuel Gould, the leader of the orchestra Sylvia Whitington and the 1st cellist Harold Parsons. This was the first time the work had been performed in its entirety in Australia.

Adelaide Town Hall

Adelaide Town Hall

First bird show in Adelaide held at the Adelaide Town Hall.

Adelaide Town Hall organ

Adelaide Town Hall organ

Adelaide Town Hall organ, King William Street. (Sweet Adelaide 853) The organ arrived from London in 1877. The opening concert was held in 1877 with David Lee, Melbourne City Organist at the keyboards.

A lecture in the Adelaide Town Hall

A lecture in the Adelaide Town Hall

ACRE 203: A woman wearing an academic cap and gown and identified as Dr Ryder, photographed as the speaker to an audience of women in the Adelaide Town Hall, 3 October 1893.

Students in front of the Adelaide Town Hall organ

Students in front of the Adelaide Town Hall organ

ACRE 203: Large school group photographed in front of the organ at Adelaide Town Hall.

Album of Adelaide : Town Hall and Eagle Chambers

Album of Adelaide : Town Hall and Eagle Chambers

View of the Adelaide Town Hall and the adjacent Eagle Chambers.

Dinner, Port Adelaide Town Hall

Dinner, Port Adelaide Town Hall

Interior of Port Adelaide Town Hall with dinner guests sitting down for a meal to celebrate a 60th Anniversary. The occasion may be the 60th Anniversary of the Port Adelaide Football Club (information supplied by a researcher).

Town Hall illluminated for the visit of the Duke of York

Town Hall illluminated for the visit of the Duke of York

The Adelaide Town Hall illuminated as part of the welcome to the Duke and Duchess of York to the city.

Adelaide Town Hall, South Australia

Adelaide Town Hall, South Australia

Foyer of the Adelaide Town Hall, Adelaide, South Australia

Adelaide Town Hall

Adelaide Town Hall

Adelaide Town Hall from a collection of views of illuminations on public buildings in honour of the visit of H.R.H. Prince of Wales, July 1920.

Adelaide Town hall

Adelaide Town hall

State Centenary Office, Adelaide Town Hall.

Adelaide Town Hall

Adelaide Town Hall

View of the Adelaide Town Hall, and the city beyond, taken from the top of the building opposite. Also clearly visible is Coward's Prince Alfred Hotel and the Education Department building in Flinders Street.

Orchestra at Adelaide Town Hall

Orchestra at Adelaide Town Hall

View of an orchestra at the front of the Adelaide Town Hall, with the organ behind them.

Organ in the Adelaide Town Hall

Organ in the Adelaide Town Hall

Interior view of the Adelaide Town Hall, showing the organ at the front of the room.

Adelaide views

Adelaide views

17 black and white prints of Adelaide views, including the River Torrens, Adelaide Railway Station, Colonel William Light scultpure and the National War Memorial sculpture. These prints may have been part of a published set, used in a private collection.

Adelaide Town Hall interior

Adelaide Town Hall interior

Interior of the Town Hall, King William Street. As soon as the Town Hall was opened in 1866 a campaign to purchase an organ was launched. The organ duly arrived in 1877 and was installed on the main platform in the auditorium

Town Hall, Port Adelaide

Town Hall, Port Adelaide

Sepia and wash sketch depicting the Port Adelaide Town Hall, and adjoining buildings. A note on the reverse records the memories of donor Miss A. Duncan: 'Shows the Town Hall, St Vincent Street, Port Adelaide, and the house in which Dr H. Duncan lived from the time it was built - about 1856 - till his death. It was the official residence of the Immigration Agent and Health Officer. The official entrance is shown in the east wall. The house was built of limestone and brick. Alongside are the boat-sheds of the Water Police. When first built the house stood above the street level, but a year or two before we left, the street was raised, and we went down three steps to the front door.'

Town Hall, Port Adelaide

Town Hall, Port Adelaide

[General description] The Town Hall on St Vincent Street was designed by architects Woods and Wright and features a clock tower and belfry, the foundation stone being laid by Sir James H. Fisher on 10 June, 1865 with the official opening on 29 August 1866. The clock was imported from London on the Indes in 1867. The building on the left has a shopfront which sells a variety of goods including wash tubs. Young street trees have wooden tree-guards to protect them. [On back of photograph] 'Port Adelaide Town Hall / On the left of it is a house built in 1848 by D. Bower / 1872-86'.