Arthur D. Edwardes : SUMMARY RECORD [PRG 1373] • Photograph

'Simla' iron 4 masted ship

'Simla' iron 4 masted ship

'Simla' iron 4 masted ship 2288 tons [iron 4 mast ship, 2288 tons, ON13952, Built 1854 (4) Tod and McGregor, Glasgow as a screw steamship for P&O SN Co., sold and rebuilt as a sailing vessel in 1877, by Dobie and Co., 330.2 x 39.8 x 29.7 Owners: EL Alexander and Co., registered Glasgow]

'Loch Cree'; Afterguard, Captain's wife and child, and apprentices at Hobart

'Loch Cree'; Afterguard, Captain's wife and child, and apprentices at Hobart

Afterguard, Captain's wife and child, and apprentices: 'Loch Cree', at Hobart [ship possibly also know as 'Giovanna B'] [iron 3 mast barque, 821 tons, ON69353, 197.6 x 32.1 x 18.4. Built 1874 (3) Macfayden and Co. Port Glasgow. Owners: James Sproat, registered Liverpool. Sold to Italy and renamed 'Giovanna B' about 1908]

'Cutty Sark' ship

'Cutty Sark' ship

Two mates and Robson, the Chinese cook; ship 'Cutty Sark' [composite ship, 963 gross tons. ON63557. 212.5 x 36.0 x 21.6. Built 1869 (11) Scott and Linton, Dumbarton. Owners John Willis and Son, registered London. (The shipbuilders went bankrupt in the course of constructing the ship and it was completed by Denny Bros) Sold 1895 to Portuguese and renamed Ferreira. Bought in 1922 by Captain Dowman of Falmouth, named and restored and re-rigged to her original sail plan. Presented to the Thames Nautical Training College in 1938. Subsequently installed in a dry dock at Greenwich on permanent display. This vessel has probably had more written about her than any other sailing ship, including 'The Log of the Cutty Sark' by Lubbock, see for full details up to 1938. The name is taken from a poem by Burns - Tam O'Shanter and the best translation appears to be 'short chemise'. Built for the China trades and considered to be among the world's fastest sailing ships. she was transferred to the Australian trades in 1885-6, trading mainly to Sydney, until she made a few voyages to Brisbane in the 1890's prior to being withdrawn and sold foreign. See 'The Log of the cutty Sark', 'Colonial Clippers', 'China Clippers']

'Barossa' barque

'Barossa' barque

The helmsman; barque 'Barossa'.

'Barossa' barque

'Barossa' barque

'Sails' at work on the barque 'Barossa'.

'Barossa' barque

'Barossa' barque

Looking aft along poop deck; barque 'Barossa'.

'Barossa' barque

'Barossa' barque

Dining saloon; barque 'Barossa'.

'Barossa' barque

'Barossa' barque

Passengers at afternoon tea in dining saloon of barque 'Barossa'.

'Barossa' barque

'Barossa' barque

Main topsail haul; barque 'Barossa' 1899.

'Barossa' barque

'Barossa' barque

Painting the mast; barque 'Barossa'.

'Aquila' barque

'Aquila' barque

Captain's wife in saloon; Norwegian barque 'Aquila' [Norwegian originally named 'Opawa' q.v.]

'Sierra Lucena'

'Sierra Lucena'

Captain and Mrs Vogt in the saloon of ship 'Sierra Lucena' [iron ship, 1747 tons, ON87394, 260.4 x 39.0 x 23.5. Built 1883 (9) R Steele and Co., Greenock, as 'Inveruglas' for J McGregor and Son, registered Greenock, sold and renamed 'Sierra Lucena' by Thompson, Anderson and Co. (Sierra Shipping Co. Ltd.) registered Liverpool c.1907 became the Norwegian 'Sophie' c.1923 became American 'Tusitala'. Broken up in 1938 at New York]

'Killoran' barque

'Killoran' barque

Landing wheat from a lighter. Barque 'Killoran' at Port Victoria [steel barque, 1757tons, ON111238. 261.5 x 39.1 x 22.7. Built 1900 (8) Ailsa SB Co. Troon. Owners: Killoran Barque Co. (J Hardie and Co) Sold c.1924/5 to G Erikson. Sunk by German raider during WW2 c.1940]

'Charles W Morgan' whaler

'Charles W Morgan' whaler

Main deck of whaler 'Charles W Morgan' showing brick try works.

'Zebedee E Cliff' 4 masted schooner

'Zebedee E Cliff' 4 masted schooner

View of the main deck, 4 masted schooner; 'Zebedee E Cliff'.

'Rodney' ship

'Rodney' ship

In dry dock; ship 'Rodney'.

'Celtic Glen' ship

'Celtic Glen' ship

Bending the mainsail; ship 'Celtic Glen'. [steel ship, 1941 tons. ON99427, 267.9 x 39.7 x 23.4. Built 1892 (7) W. Hamilton and Co. Port Glasgow as Iquique for Iquique Sailing Ship Co. (Brodersen Vaughan and Co. registered Liverpool sold c.1910 and renamed Celtic Glen by Celtic Glen Co. (R. Hughes-Jones and Co.) registered Liverpool. Sold and renamed Riverford, then in 1918 sold Marine Nav. Co. of Canada Ltd and renamed Garthforce. Collided with an iceberg sout of Cape of Good Hope in 1921 and was towed into Durban and sold for conversion into a hulk.]

'Celtic Glen' ship

'Celtic Glen' ship

Captain and crew; 'Celtic Glen'. [steel ship, 1941 tons. ON99427, 267.9 x 39.7 x 23.4. Built 1892 (7) W. Hamilton and Co. Port Glasgow as Iquique for Iquique Sailing Ship Co. (Brodersen Vaughan and Co. registered Liverpool sold c.1910 and renamed Celtic Glen by Celtic Glen Co. (R. Hughes-Jones and Co.) registered Liverpool. Sold and renamed Riverford, then in 1918 sold Marine Nav. Co. of Canada Ltd and renamed Garthforce. Collided with an iceberg sout of Cape of Good Hope in 1921 and was towed into Durban and sold for conversion into a hulk.]

'Medway' 4 masted barque, 'Captain Cook' pilot boat

'Medway' 4 masted barque, 'Captain Cook' pilot boat

Pilot waiting to be taken off 4 masted barque 'Medway'. Pilot boat 'Captain Cook' in background [steel 4 mast barque, 2511 tons, ON129109. 300.0 x 43.2 x 24.8. Built 1902 (7) A McMillan and Son Ltd. Dumbarton. Owners: Devitt and Moore's Ocean Training Ships Ltd, registered London. Formerly named 'Ama Begonakoa' of Monte Video and acquired by Moore in 1910. As a wartime measure was converted to an oil carrier at Hong Kong but the war was over before conversion was completed and she became a harbour oiler at Singapore under the name of 'Myr Shell' until sold for scrap in 1933]

'Viking' 4 masted barque

'Viking' 4 masted barque

4 masted barque 'Viking' running before a strond breeze [steel 4 mast barque, 2952 gross, 2541 net tons. 293.8 x 45.9 x 23.8. Built 1907 (6) Burmeister and Wain, Copenhagen. Danish sail training ship, registered Copenhagen. Still in existence at Gothenburg, used as hostel etc.]

'Priorhill'

'Priorhill'

Crew of 'Priorhill' [iron barque, 1180 tons, ON87676, 215.3 x 35.1 x 21.0. Built 1883 (6) Russell and Co. Port Glasgow. Owners: FR Dickson and Co., registered Glasgow, later James Cornfoot and Co., registered Glasgow. Wrecked Dec. 25, 1895 at Carrizal Bay]

'Calbuco'

'Calbuco'

Working on the bowsprit of the 'Calbuco'

'Calbuco'

'Calbuco'

Using the capstan; ship 'Calbuco'.

'Loch Tay'

'Loch Tay'

Burial at sea; ship 'Loch Tay' [iron ship, 1250 tons, ON60468, 225.4 x 35.5 x 21.6. Built 1869 (10) Barclay, Curle and Co. Glasgow. Owners: JP Kidston, registered Glasgow, later Glasgow Shipping Co. (Aitken and Lilburn, managers) registered Glasgow. Sold Nov. 1909 Huddart, Parker Ltd, Registered Port Adelaide and Converted into coal hulk. Register closed in 1958 when advice received vessel broken up]

'Soukar' ship

'Soukar' ship

Officers and apprentices at the stern of the ship 'Soukar'.

'Salamis'

'Salamis'

Sailmaker at work; barque 'Salamis'.

'Lucknow' barque

'Lucknow' barque

Heavy weather off the Horn; 'Lucknow' barque.

'Eskdale' ship

'Eskdale' ship

Officers, apprentices and visitors on board ship 'Eskdale'. Elaborately carved boom-board [iron ship, 1285 tons, later 1313 tons. ON69238, 225.5 x 36.2 x 22.1. Built 1873 (2) Whitehaven Shipbuilding Co, Whitehaven. Owners: John D Newton, registered Liverpool. 1890 W Lowden and Co.]

'Argomene' ship

'Argomene' ship

Crew of British ship 'Argomene'. [iron ship 1716 tons. ON76415, 241.0 x 38.7 x 24.0 Built 1877 (1) TR Oswald, Southampton. Owners H Fernie and Sons. Liverpool (Later Liverpool Shipping Co. Ltd. managed by Fernies) c.1899 sold to S. Hampton Co. Ltd. (JB Thomson) registered Glasgow (renamed 'Hampton') c.1910 to Italian owners and renamed 'Bianchetto' and drops from registers after 1917.]

'Eden Holme' barque

'Eden Holme' barque

Men at the wheel; barque 'Eden Holme' [iron 3 mast barque 818 tons. ON62035. 201.8 x 32.2 x 18.5. Built 1875 (1) Bartram, Haswell and Co,. Sunderland. Owners Hine Bros. registered Maryport. Wrecked Hebe Reef, Tamar River, Tasmania Jan. 6th, 1907]