Portrait of William Nicholls, Caretaker. William Nicholls lived with his wife and family from 1876 to 1902 in an attached building behind the Institute Building, where there were apartments for the caretaker, taxidermists and others. In recognition of his years of service he was presented with a specially carved chair made for him. His obituary is in The Observer of 13 July 1907 on page 38. His son William Nicholls was headmaster at Pulteney Street School from 1901 to 1941, which for a time was nicknamed Nicholls’ School after him.