[General description] The Bell Inn, viewed from across the street, with a bicycle propped against the gutter in the foreground. Burford's factory chimney towers over the hotel building. This hotel opened in 1848 as the Shoemaker's Arms, from 1849-1958 became the Crown & Septre, then, from 1859- 1938 was known as the Bell Inn. From 1938 until the present time (2010) it has been known as the Gilbert Hotel. Jane Peterson was the licensee at the time of this photograph. [On back of photograph] 'Acres 611 and 610 / Gilbert Street, north side / Nov. 24, 1926. / The Bell Inn is on the east corner of Russell Street. Gilbert Street frontage of the hotel: 14 yards. A balcony was erected in 1927 (See B 4782) / Burford's tall chimney was demolished before 31-12-1926. It is situated 50.5 yards north of Gilbert Street and 43 yards east of Russell Street (part of acre 610)'.