Find • Sweet, Samuel White, 1825-1886 • Results 361 to 390 of 1,125


Clarendon and Onkaparinga River
View of Onkaparinga River at Clarendon from vineyards. Photograph is signed with Captain Sweet's anchor [also at PRG 742/1/28].


King William Street looking south
King William Street looking over to Adelaide Town Hall and into Victoria Square, marked 'Sweet Adelaide 5'.


Railway at Puttapa Gap, Flinders Ranges
Railway bend at Puttapa Gap, Flinders Ranges. There is a man standing on the track, marked 'Sweet Adelaide 946'.


Beaumont
View of valley at Beaumont. Photograph is embossed with a stamp in lower right corner, "Captn Sweet Adelaide, landscape photographer" [also at PRG 742/1/11].


Bridgewater
View of Bridgewater with Dunn's Mill on the left. Photograph might not have been taken by Sweet.


Prince Alfred College
Prince Alfred College, Kent Town. Marked 'Sweet Adelaide 819' [also at B 12545].


Rundle Street, Kent Town
View of Rundle Street, Kent Town, looking north east, marked 'Sweet Adelaide 531' [also at B 2896].


Gawler
View of Gawler, marked 'Sweet Adelaide 385' [also at B 10583].


Macclesfield
View of township of Macclesfield. Marked 'Sweet Adelaide' [also at B 12540].


Hindmarsh Bridge
Hindmarsh Bridge over the River Torrens looking east. Marked 'Sweet Adelaide 407'.


Governor's residence, Marble Hill
Governor's residence, Marble Hill at Norton Summit. Marked 'Sweet Adelaide 27' [also at B 3094 & B 58005/10].


Victoria Bridge, Adelaide
Victoria Bridge, Morphett Street, Adelaide. Photograph is stamped, 'Capt'n Sweet, Landscape Photographer' [also at B 62414/1/50 & B 1014].


Mannum
View of Mannum, adjacent to the Murray River. Marked 'Sweet Adelaide 396' [also at B 2535].


Robinson Bridge
Robinson Bridge, Port Adelaide. Marked 'Sweet Adelaide 226' [also at B 12418].


Canowie sheep and cattle station
Canowie sheep and cattle station. Homestead in distance with creek in foreground. Marked 'Sweet Adelaide' [also at B 10603].


Quorn Railway Station
Quorn Railway Station, marked 'Sweet Adelaide' [also at B 9330].


Mount Barker main street
Main street of Mount Barker. Photograph is marked, 'Sweet Adelaide 298' [also at B 10613].

Views of South Australia
Album of views by Capt. Sweet of South Australia including Adelaide, North Adelaide, Glenelg, Port Adelaide, Norton Summit, Clarendon, Farina and the Botanic Gardens. See 'contents' for more details.


Old Gum Tree, Glenelg
Old gum tree, Glenelg. The sign on the bent old tree says "On this spot on the 28th December 1836 The Colony of South Australia proclaimed a British Dependency". The tree on a small block is enclosed on all sides by a wooden fence. A thatched building is standing on the next door plot. Fields and a few buildings can be seen in the background.


Montefiore
Sir Samuel Way's Residence (Chief Justice), Nth. Adelaide - south west view.


Montefiore
Sir Samuel Way's Residence, Nth. Adelaide - west view.


Dunn's Flour Mill, Nairne
J.Dunn & Co. flour mill at Nairne. Nairne township between 1872 and 1886. Nairne was founded by Scottish sheep farmer Matthew Smillie in 1839 and was named after his wife's maiden name. South Australia's first flour mill was built just outside Nairne in 1841. Steam driven mill was added in 1857 and operated by John Dunn from 1864. The Mill was named Albert Mill after the husband of Queen Victoria.


Nairne
Nairne township between 1872 and 1886. Nairne was founded by Scottish sheep farmer Matthew Smillie in 1839 and was named after his wife's maiden name. The first school was opened in 1851 with 33 students enrolled. The teacher was John Forsyth. By 1876 the school had 112 students enrolled. This photograph shows the school children lined up outside the school. The teacher is standing at the back of the students and is wearing a top hat.


Residence, Parkside
[General description] Seen from the street, this two storey house is set in a formal garden with a stone front wall topped with decorative iron lace. The house has a wide front veranda and balcony also featuring iron lace. A conservatory is seen on the right side of the house next to a structure which looks like a shadehouse. [On back of photograph] 'Residence of John Gordon, 50 Park Terrace, Parkside / 1872-1886'.


Port Adelaide Wharf
[General description] Port Adelaide wharf showing the Customs House and the steamer "Aldinga". [On back of photograph] Port Adelaide 1880-86. Customs House completed 1880. Showing the steamer Aldinga. Note by Mr Samuels, Largs.


St.Thomas' Church of England, Port Lincoln
[General description] St.Thomas' Church of England at Port Lincoln. Small children are standing in the grounds. [On back of photograph] Port Lincoln 1872-86. St. Thomas' Church of England taken about 1886 - nave section of building built 1849-52 (foundation stone was laid in October 1849) [duplicate copy at PRG 458/1/1/132].


"Stradbroke" at Rostrevor
Residence of W. R. Swan, "Stradbroke". This two storey house with a one storey wing and attached conservatory was built in 1840 by Thomas A Forrest on the Rostrevor Estate which at its peak in 1882 included over 600 acres. The original house comprised of four rooms with servants quarters on the edge of the creek. This house was named "Waldend" after a relative's estate near Birmingham. After Sheriff Forrest was struck off for fradulently building houses for other people on land that was not his the house was sold to Frederick Bayne who enlarged the house and named it "Stradbroke". Later it was sold to Richard Beetson and then William Robert Swan. Water from Fourth Creek enabled the growing of vines and fruit trees.Other owners included Samuel William Pearce, Walter Frederick Walkley and CL Du Bois. The house was eventually demolished in 1966.


The lake, Torrens Park Mitcham
[General description] This serene image shows a small boat floating upon the still water of Torrens Lake which reflects the surrounding trees on its surface. The imposing building visible through the trees is part of what is now (2016) Scotch College. [On back of photograph] 'The lake, Torrens Park, Mitcham / 1872-1886'.


North Terrace West
North Terrace West, South side. 1878-1886. The extreme right is approx. 28 yards West of Victoria Street. Frontage of the building is 9 yards.


North Terrace East
North Terrace east 1873-1886. The left side of centre building (Dr. Way's) is 18 yards west of Stephens Place. Frontage (fence to fence) : 17 yards. The two storey sandstone house has an upper verandah and a small front garden. A lady, gentleman, two young girls and a small baby can be seen on the upstairs verandah.