Find • PRG 1373 • Results 151 to 180 of 2,878

The 'Kentmere' in an unidentified port

The 'Kentmere' in an unidentified port

The four masted iron ship 'Kentmere', 2521 tons, in an unidentified port [iron ship, later 4 mast barque (probably converted about the time she began to carry bulk oil) 2521 gross tons, ON87141. Built 1883 (6) WH Potter and Sons. Liverpool. Owners: Ship Kentmore Co. Ltd (Fisher and Sprott) registered London c.1900 Anglo-American Oil Co. Ltd. Registered London. A number of of references to the ship, but nothing of importance are to found in 'The Coolie Ships and Oil Sailers' by Basil Lubbock].

The 'Melbourne' at Gravesend, U.K.

The 'Melbourne' at Gravesend, U.K.

The iron ship, 'Melbourne', 1857 tons, at Gravesend, U.K. [built as 'Melbourne' in 1875 (see 'Melbourne' for basic detail) and renamed in 1888. Well known in the Australian passenger trade, trading mainly to Sydney] [iron ship 1965 gross tons, 1857 net tons. ON70749, 269.8 x 40.1 x 23.7. Built 1875 (6) R&H Green, Blackwall London. Owners: R&H Green. Registered London, 1887 Devitt and Moore; 1903 renamed 'Fortuna' on sale to Norwegian owners and became a coal hulk in Sydney before WW1. The 'Melbourne' ran regularly to Melbourne until 1887 with an average voyage time of 82 days. She was sold in 1897 to Devitt and Moore who renamed the ship 'Macquarie' in 1888 and operated her to Sydney. When Devitt and Moore became associated with Lord Brassey's cadet scheme the 'Macquarie' was employed in training cadets while en route UK-Australia-UK. Very full notes in 'Blackwall Frigates'. Noted in 'Colonial Clippers'].

The 'Melbourne' under partial sail

The 'Melbourne' under partial sail

The iron ship, 'Melbourne', 1857 tons, under partial sail [built as 'Melbourne' in 1875 (see 'Melbourne' for basic detail) and renamed in 1888. Well known in the Australian passenger trade, trading mainly to Sydney] [iron ship 1965 gross tons, 1857 net tons. ON70749, 269.8 x 40.1 x 23.7. Built 1875 (6) R&H Green, Blackwall London. Owners: R&H Green. Registered London, 1887 Devitt and Moore; 1903 renamed 'Fortuna' on sale to Norwegian owners and became a coal hulk in Sydney before WW1. The 'Melbourne' ran regularly to Melbourne until 1887 with an average voyage time of 82 days. She was sold in 1897 to Devitt and Moore who renamed the ship 'Macquarie' in 1888 and operated her to Sydney. When Devitt and Moore became associated with Lord Brassey's cadet scheme the 'Macquarie' was employed in training cadets while en route UK-Australia-UK. Very full notes in 'Blackwall Frigates'. Noted in 'Colonial Clippers'].

The 'Carlisle Castle' at Gravesend, U.K.

The 'Carlisle Castle' at Gravesend, U.K.

The iron ship 'Carlisle Castle', 1458 tons, at Gravesend, U.K. [iron ship 1545 gross tons, 1458 net tons. ON60871, 229.8 x 37.8 x 22.8. Built 1868 (9) R&H Green, Blackwall London. Owners R&H Green, registered London. sold 1893 to J Robinson, rigged down to a barque, probably upon sale in 1893. Totally wrecked with the loss of all hands, near Rockingham, south of Fremantle, WA on the night of 12 July 1899.] Futher references see Blackwall Frigates, Colonial Clippers, The Sea and the Forest, Fall, Uni of WA 1972 (for details of wreck). Australian Encyclopaeda Vol.II 1926 which gives incorrect information re lives lost.

'The Lord Warden' moored at Gravesend, U.K.

'The Lord Warden' moored at Gravesend, U.K.

The wooden ship "The Lord Warden', 1237 tons, moored at Gravesend, U.K. [wooden ship, 1237 gross tons, ON45005, 210.3 x 36.6 x 22.6. Built 1862 (5) Pile, Hay and Co. Sunderland. Owners: R&H Green, registered London. Sold 1884 G Ossoinakdi, Fiume. Foundered in 1889. Commenced for Greens in the Calcutta trade but was later transferred to the Melbourne run. See 'The Blackwall Frigates'].

The 'Shannon' moored at Gravesend, U.K.

The 'Shannon' moored at Gravesend, U.K.

The composite ship 'Shannon', 1292 tons, moored Gravesend, UK. [wooden ship, 1292 gross tons, ON44996, 217.0 x 37.7 x 22.8. Built 1862 (5) R&H Green, Blackwall, London. Owners: R&H Green, registered London (iron beams) Sold May 1883 to Wright Bros. registered London: 1887 James C Ellis, registered Sydney who were the owners when she sprang a leak while en route to Newcastle, NSW - Wellington, and put into Papeete where she was condemned, in June 1888. Ran for Greens regularly in the Melbourne trade and made some notable passages. Was employed as a collier when abandoned. In Blackwall Frigates story is recalled when some of the apprentices passed the ship off as a former warship involved with the 'Chesapeake'].

The 'Highflyer' moored at Gravesend, U.K.

The 'Highflyer' moored at Gravesend, U.K.

The wooden ship 'Highflyer', 1092 tons, moored at Gravesend, U.K. [wooden ship (later barque) 1012 gross tons. ON43956, 193.7 x 35.5 x 20.0. Built 1861 (10) R&H Green, Blackwall, London. Registered London. Sold c.1880 H Ramien. registered Elsfleth (and probably at this time rigged down to a barque) Still listed till late 1890s under Norwegian flag and her original name. Built as a tea clipper but made some runs to Australia - it was not unusual for a ship to load for Australia, then go north to China for tea and then home, making a rough triangle or 'round' voyage].

The 'Malabar' moored at Gravesend, U.K.

The 'Malabar' moored at Gravesend, U.K.

The wooden ship 'Malabar', 1219 tons, moored at Gravesend, U.K. [wooden ship, later barque. 1219 gross tons. ON28740. 207.2 x 36.6 x 22.5. Built 1860 (5) W Pile, junior. Sunderland. Owners: R&H Green, registered London, sold 1878 Foley and Co., registered London. Often employed as a troopship to India, but also traded to Australia. See Blackwall Frigates, and Colonial Clippers].

The 'Newcastle' moored at Gravesend, U.K.

The 'Newcastle' moored at Gravesend, U.K.

The wooden ship 'Newcastle', 1137 tons, moored at Gravesend, U.K. [wooden ship, 1137 gross tons. ON27220, 196.5 x 36.5 x 22.5. Built 1859 W Pile, junior, Sunderland. Owners: R&H Green, registered London, c.1880 Foley and Co., registered London. In her early career was engaged in the transport of coolies and troops, but from about 1869 was engaged in the Australian trade of Messrs. Green. See 'Blackwall Frigates' for extended references to some trips in the Australian trade, and other notes].

The 'Renown' moored in an unidentified port

The 'Renown' moored in an unidentified port

The wooden ship 'Renown', 1293 tons, moored in an unidentified port [wooden ship, 1293 gross tons, ON28731, 216.6 x 37.5 x 22.7. Built 1860 (5) R&H Green, Blackwall, London. Owners: R&H Green, registered London (iron beams) sold in 1882 to Bollard and Kleinschmidt, registered Bremen. Wrecked before 1890. Mostly in the Australian trades. See 'Blackwall Frigates']. The 'Renown' was commanded by William Wildash for five return voyages from London to Melbourne from 1874-1879. Both passengers and cargo were carried, and coverage of the journeys was given in the Melbourne 'Argus' [information supplied by a researcher].

The 'Renown' moored in an unidentified port

The 'Renown' moored in an unidentified port

The wooden ship 'Renown', 1293 tons, moored in an unidentified port [wooden ship, 1293 gross tons, ON28731, 216.6 x 37.5 x 22.7. Built 1860 (5) R&H Green, Blackwall, London. Owners: R&H Green, registered London (iron beams) sold in 1882 to Bollard and Kleinschmidt, registered Bremen. Wrecked before 1890. Mostly in the Australian trades. See 'Blackwall Frigates'].

The 'Dover Castle' docked at Port Chalmers, New Zealand

The 'Dover Castle' docked at Port Chalmers, New Zealand

The wooden ship 'Dover Castle', 1003 tons, docked at Port Chalmers, New Zealand, [wooden ship, 1003 gross tons. ON20847, 185.0 x 34.0 x 22.0. Built 1858 Pile Sunderland. Owners R&H Green, registered London 1872 Shaw, Savill and Co. c.1880-1 sold to CY Boe of Arendal and renamed Kem and under this name finally broken up after many years. (Her being broken up resulted from a standing upon the coast of Norway) Under the ownership of Greens was employed in the Australian trade. From 1872 made several voyages to New Zealand, the first being to Lyttelton and where she arrived May 7, 1872. On her arrival at Auckland in August 1875 she had aboard the only survivor of the Cospatrick. Ref. Blackwall Frigates, White Wings Vol. 1 Breet, 1924].

The 'Clarence' at Gravesend, U.K.

The 'Clarence' at Gravesend, U.K.

The wooden ship 'Clarence', 1032 tons, at Gravesend, U.K.

The 'Windsor Castle' moored in an unidentified port

The 'Windsor Castle' moored in an unidentified port

The wooden ship 'Windsor Castle', 1075 tons, moored in an unidentified port [wooden ship, 1075 gross tons. ON15822, 195.5 x 36.2 x 22.5. Built 1857 W Pile, Junior, Sunderland. Owners: R&H Green, registered London. Sold 1882 to E Cox, registered London. Foundered off Algoa Bay in 1884. Built for the Australian passenger trade and toward the end of her career on the run was well known in the Brisbane run. NB. Do not confuse with vessel of the same name and similar size operating about the same period. Early career spent in the Melbourne trade with occasional visits to Sydney, but for the last few years under the flag of Green she was a regular visitor at Brisbane. See 'Blackwall Frigates' and 'Colonial Clippers'].

The 'Alnwick Castle' moored at Gravesend, U.K.

The 'Alnwick Castle' moored at Gravesend, U.K.

The wooden ship 'Alnwick Castle', 1109 tons, moored at Gravesend, U.K. [wooden ship, 1087 gross tons, ON15854. 195.0 x 35.2 x 22. Built 1856. Pile, Sunderland, registered London by R&H Green, sold in 1873 and was wrecked on the coast of Mexico in 1881. At this time was the property of Sir John Arnot, of Cork. Ususally employed in the Indian trade and sometimes carried coolies to the West Indies].

The 'Swiftsure' moored at Gravesend, U.K.

The 'Swiftsure' moored at Gravesend, U.K.

The wooden ship 'Swiftsure', 1212 tons, moored at Gravesend, U.K. [wooden ship, 1326 gross tons, ON8300, 219.0 x 39.8 x 22.8. Built 1854 at Boston, USA as the 'Fatherland', renamed on purchase by R&H Green in the 1850s. Sold and upon alteration became 1268 gross tons and owned by Hall Bros. Wrecked at Tripoli in 1883. Purchased by Greens for use in the passenger trade to Melbourne at the height of the gold rushes. See 'Blackwall Frigates' although not a frigate built ship].

The 'Anglesey' moored at Gravesend, U.K.

The 'Anglesey' moored at Gravesend, U.K.

The wooden ship 'Anglesey', 1012 tons, moored at Gravesend, U.K. [wooden ship, 1012 tons, ON26417, 182.0 x 34.0 x 22.0: Built 1852 Green, Blackwall, London. Owners: Messrs. Green, reg. London. Sold 1874 to others, and sold foreign 1875. Fate not traced. Famous for well presented figurehead of the Earl of Anglesey which was only exhibited on special occasions. Made an exceptional passage to Melbourne in 1871. See Blackwall Frigates.]

The 'Kent' moored at Gravesend, U.K.

The 'Kent' moored at Gravesend, U.K.

The wooden ship 'Kent', 998 tons, moored at Gravesend, U.K.

The 'May Queen' moored at Gravesend, U.K.

The 'May Queen' moored at Gravesend, U.K.

The iron ship 'May Queen', 733 tons, moored at Gravesend, U.K. [iron ship, later barque, 781 gross tons, 733 net tons. ON60694, 178.6 x 31.2 x 19.0. Owner: William Shirres, registered Aberdeen, master J Leslie. c.1879 owner John Leslie, registered London. Wrecked at Lyttelton New Zealand 26 January 1888. Apparently rigged down to a barque about the time of her sale. Always in the New Zealand trade. In all made 17 voyages between UK and New Zealand. From 1871 till 1876 she was under charter to Shaw Savill and Co. and usually made a fair passage. Although her main port was Dunedin, she also visited Auckland, Wellington, Lyttelton, Nelson and Napier. See 'White Wings' for full details of trips to New Zealand and 'NZ Shipwrecks' p. 234 for details of loss].

The 'Taranaki' docked at a port in New Zealand

The 'Taranaki' docked at a port in New Zealand

The iron ship 'Taranaki', 1126 tons, docked at a port in New Zealand [iron ship, 1193 gross tons 1126 net tons. ON76749, 228.2 x 35.2 x 21.0. Built 1877 (1) R Duncan and Co. Port Glasgow. Owners James Galbraith, registered Glasgow, within a year or two owner was John Leslie. Before 1910 sold to Italian owners without change of name. A regular trader to New Zealand, operating under charter to the Shaw Savill organisation and usually thought of as one of their ships although always registered in the name of John Leslie apart from a year of two when it was in the name of James Galbraith, the senior partner of the Albion Line. Her last voyage to New Zealand appears to have been made in late 1899. Her usual port was Dunedin, although she made one visit to Wellington, Lyttelton and Timaru. See 'White Wings by Brett and 'Colonial Clippers' which mistakenly records that the ship was owned by Shaw Savill].

The 'Marlborough' docked at Port Chalmers, New Zealand

The 'Marlborough' docked at Port Chalmers, New Zealand

The iron ship 'Marlborough', 1124 tons, docked near a rocky outcropping at Port Chalmers, New Zealand [iron ship, 1191 gross tons. (1124 net tons) ON73858, 228.0 x 35.0 x 21.0. Built 1876 (6) R Duncan and Co. Port Glasgow. Owners James Galbraith (Albion Line) registered Glasgow, c. 1880 John Leslie. Missing - sailed from Lyttelton January 11, 1890 with cargo and one passenger, was spoken two days later and was never seen again. Another regular trader to New Zealand, ususally operating under charter to Shaw, Savill, which has led to statements being made that they owned the ship. She made 14 voyages to New Zealand visiting Wellington, Lyttelton, Dunedin and Bluff, but her greatest claim to fame is the mystery of her loss which has been subject to all sorts of solutions but nothing conclusive has ever been established. Magazine items; shipwreck books, and other publications continue to produce solutions to the mystery. See 'White Wings' Vol. 1 - apart from list of trips also gives a solution to the mystery. 'New Zealand Ships' p.241 for loss - with another solution to mystery. 'Colonial Clippers' which gives the wrong date for loss. NB: All above references claim she was owned by Shaw Savill which is incorrect. These notes are from Ron Parsons].

The 'Blenheim' docked near a rocky outcropping

The 'Blenheim' docked near a rocky outcropping

The iron ship 'Blenheim', 1136 tons, docked near a rocky outcropping, probably Port Chalmers, new Zealand. [iron ship, 1136 gross tons. ON76932. 215.3 x 34.0 x 20.4. Built 1877 (1) A. Stephen and Sons, Glasgow as 'Wanganui' for New Zealand Shipping Co. Ltd. registered London transferred to Lyttelton register in 1881. Sold 1888 and renamed 'Blenheim', owned by John Leslie and registered at Aberdeen: sold to Norwegians in 1903. Under both names she traded to New Zealand regularly until 1899 making visits to Auckland, Wellington, Lyttelton and Port Chalmers. As with others of the fleet owned by John Leslie she was usually running under charter to Shaw Savill and was frequently said to have been their property, incorrectly.]

The 'Blenheim' in an unidentified port

The 'Blenheim' in an unidentified port

The iron ship 'Blenheim', 1136 tons, in an unidentified port. [iron ship, 1136 gross tons. ON76932. 215.3 x 34.0 x 20.4. Built 1877 (1) A. Stephen and Sons, Glasgow as 'Wanganui' for New Zealand Shipping Co. Ltd. registered London transferred to Lyttelton register in 1881. Sold 1888 and renamed 'Blenheim', owned by John Leslie and registered at Aberdeen: sold to Norwegians in 1903. Under both names she traded to New Zealand regularly until 1899 making visits to Auckland, Wellington, Lyttelton and Port Chalmers. As with others of the fleet owned by John Leslie she was usually running under charter to Shaw Savill and was frequently said to have been their property, incorrectly.]

The 'Hinemoa' in an unidentified port

The 'Hinemoa' in an unidentified port

The four masted steel barque 'Hinemoa', 2283 tons, in an unidentified port [steel 4 mast barque 2283 gross tons. ON98591, 278.1 x 41.9 x 24.2 Built 1890 (11) Russell and Co. Greenock. Owners John Leslie, registered Glasgow. c.1915-6 to Liverpool owners and survived WW1. When first built was fitted with refrigerating machinery and made her maiden voyage to New Zealand. Was reputed to have been the first four mast barque to have been seen in the area. After this trip she was mainly employed in the Australian trade and made some smart passages. See:'White Wings' Vol. 1 which says she was purchased by Leslie in 1916 - she was SOLD about that time by Leslie. 'Last of the Windjammers'. Vol. 11 dwells upon her alleged bad luck. 'Colonial Clippers' makes brief mention of the ship].

The 'Hinemoa' in an unidentified port

The 'Hinemoa' in an unidentified port

The four masted steel barque 'Hinemoa', 2283 tons, in an unidentified port [steel 4 mast barque 2283 gross tons. ON98591, 278.1 x 41.9 x 24.2 Built 1890 (11) Russell and Co. Greenock. Owners John Leslie, registered Glasgow. c.1915-6 to Liverpool owners and survived WW1. When first built was fitted with refrigerating machinery and made her maiden voyage to New Zealand. Was reputed to have been the first four mast barque to have been seen in the area. After this trip she was mainly employed in the Australian trade and made some smart passages. See:'White Wings' Vol. 1 which says she was purchased by Leslie in 1916 - she was SOLD about that time by Leslie. 'Last of the Windjammers'. Vol. 11 dwells upon her alleged bad luck. 'Colonial Clippers' makes brief mention of the ship].

The 'Sussex' moored at Falmouth

The 'Sussex' moored at Falmouth

The iron barque-ex ship 'Sussex', 1305 tons, moored at Falmouth.

The 'Surrey' and 'La Hogue' at Sydney

The 'Surrey' and 'La Hogue' at Sydney

The wooden ship 'Surrey' (left), 1089 tons, and 'La Hogue' (right) at Sydney ['Surry' = wooden ship, 1089 gross tons. ON12873. 192.2 x 37.1 x 22.7. Built 1857. G Marshall, Shields. Owners: G Marshall and Sons, registered London, by 1880 owned in Marseilles. There is a brief mention in the book 'Blackwall Frigates'].

The 'Surrey' moored at Gravesend, U.K.

The 'Surrey' moored at Gravesend, U.K.

The wooden ship 'Surrey', 1089 tons, moored at Gravesend, U.K. [wooden ship, 1089 gross tons. ON12873. 192.2 x 37.1 x 22.7. Built 1857. G Marshall, Shields. Owners: G Marshall and Sons, registered London, by 1880 owned in Marseilles. There is a brief mention in the book 'Blackwall Frigates'].

The 'Essex' moored in an unidentified port

The 'Essex' moored in an unidentified port

The wooden ship 'Essex', 1256 tons, moored in an unidentified port [wooden ship, 1256 gross tons. ON47400. 208.0 x 36.5 x 23.1. Built 1863 (7) G Marshall, Sunderland. Owners G Marshall registered London. Lost in 1880 (iron beams) There were two ships of this name built about the same time - there is frequent confusion about them] See 'Blackwall Frigates'.

The 'Wiltshire' as 'Gwalla' at Port Adelaide

The 'Wiltshire' as 'Gwalla' at Port Adelaide

The iron barque ex ship 'Wiltshire' after being renamed 'Gwalla', 1461 tons, at Port Adelaide [owned by Trinder Anderson, formerly 'Wiltshire'].