Find • Duryea, Townsend, 1823-1888, photographer • Results 1 to 30 of 1,060

Duryea's Adelaide Album 2

Duryea's Adelaide Album 2

An album compiled by Adelaide photographer, Townsend Duryea, with the title 'Duryea's Adelaide Album' embossed on the front cover. The first 'page' is a panorama of Adelaide, comprising five roughly uniform panels, mounted on linen to form a continuous image 12.5 x 89.5 mm (the linen measures 248 x 940 mm, and folds into three equal sections to fit into the album). The other photographs in the album show King William Street, Victoria Square, the Torrens River and Botanic Gardens. A book plate at the front indicates that it was originally owned by Edward Angas Johnson.

Old colonists 1836-1840 : William Remnant Townsend

Old colonists 1836-1840 : William Remnant Townsend

William Remnant Townsend arrived in South Australia in June 1839 on board the ship the "Hooghly". Bootmaker, Mitcham.

Old colonists 1836-1840 : Emanuel Spiller

Old colonists 1836-1840 : Emanuel Spiller

Emanuel Spiller arrived in South Australia in September 1839 on board the ship the "Prince Regent". Government Printer, Adelaide.

Townsend Duryea

Townsend Duryea

Townsend Duryea, born in New York, he arrived in South Australia in 1855. Duryea operated a successful photographic business until 1875 when it was destroyed in a fire. He died in N.S.W.

South Australian pioneers 1840 [mosaic]

South Australian pioneers 1840 [mosaic]

A collection of studio portraits under the title 'South Australian Pioneers 1838', with 'T. Duryea, Adelaide, 1872' at the bottom. This mosaic includes portraits of Governor Sir John Hindmarsh and Governor George Gawler above 127 portraits, and the handwritten names of the colonists are listed under the ships they arrived below the portraits.

South Australian Pioneers 1838 [mosaic]

South Australian Pioneers 1838 [mosaic]

A collection of studio portraits under the title 'South Australian Pioneers 1838', with 'T. Duryea, Adelaide, 1872' at the bottom. This mosaic includes portraits of Governor Sir John Hindmarsh and Governor George Gawler above 116 portraits, and the handwritten names of the colonists are listed under the ships they arrived in on both sides of the portraits.

Old colonists 1836-1840 : Charles Emery

Old colonists 1836-1840 : Charles Emery

Charles Emery arrived in South Australia in December 1838 on board the ship the "Lloyds". Verger, labourer, ostler; Adelaide, Queenstown.

Old colonists 1836-1840 : Joseph Applebee

Old colonists 1836-1840 : Joseph Applebee

Joseph Applebee arrived in South Australia in December 1839 on board the ship the "Duchess of Northumberland". Farmer, Port Gawler.

Old colonists 1836-1840 : David Mott

Old colonists 1836-1840 : David Mott

David Mott arrived in South Australia in February 1840 on board the ship the "Rajasthan". Farmer, Macclesfield.

South Australian pioneers 1840 : David Mott

South Australian pioneers 1840 : David Mott

David Mott arrived in South Australia in February 1840 on board the ship the "Rajasthan". Farmer, Macclesfield.

Old colonists 1836-1840 : Jacob Bowden

Old colonists 1836-1840 : Jacob Bowden

Jacob Bowden arrived in South Australia in January 1838 on board the ship the "Royal Admiral". Herbalist, Adelaide.

South Australian pioneers 1840 : Captain Emanuel Underwood

South Australian pioneers 1840 : Captain Emanuel Underwood

Captain Emanuel Underwood arrived in South Australia in March 1840 on board the ship the "Baboo". Sea captain, storekeeper, Port Lincoln.

Charles Thomas Hewett

Charles Thomas Hewett

Photograph of Charles Thomas Hewett (1795-1871), pioneer of the Noarlunga area of South Australia, particularly in the areas south of the river.

Duryea's Adelaide Album 1

An album compiled by Adelaide photographer, Townsend Duryea, with the title 'Duryea's Adelaide Album' embossed on the front cover. The first 'page' is a panorama of Adelaide, comprising five roughly uniform panels, mounted on linen to form a continuous image 125 x 895 mm (the linen measures 248 x 940 mm, and folds into three equal sections to fit into the album). The other photographs in the album mostly relate to the visit of Prince Alfred, the Duke of Edinburgh, to Adelaide. See B 73122/1 to B 73122/14 for details on individual photographs.

Carriage and outriders

Carriage and outriders

An open carriage with four horses harnessed to it, with two men in top hats on the driver's seat and another up behind; and an additional four men mounted on horses (two in front, two behind). It is assumed this is the carriage and escort provided for the Duke of Edinburgh during his visit. A number of militia men can be seen standing beyond the carriage. This image occupies just over half of the print, with the remaining (bottom) part showing an out of focus hill. There is also a curious 'wheel' which appears to be in mid air behind the assemblage.

Crowd and vehicles

Crowd and vehicles

View of people people in Victoria Square, with a number of horse drawn vehicles passing through. A temporary grandstand has been erected in the square.

View of Adelaide looking south

View of Adelaide looking south

View of Adelaide looking south into Victoria Square, taken by Townsend Duryea from the tower of the Adelaide General Post Office in 1870. The unfinished St Francis Xavier (Catholic) Cathedral and the Supreme Court Building, completed in 1851, can be seen. To see a summary of this panorama group do a number search on B 16004.

View of Adelaide looking west

View of Adelaide looking west

View of Adelaide looking west down Franklin Street, taken by Townsend Duryea from the tower of the Adelaide General Post Office in 1870. In the left foreground can be seen the Methodist New Connexion Church (later Maughan Methodist Church, demolished in 1964). At right, on the edge of the image, is the Bible Christian Church in Young Street, demolished in 1979. To see a summary of this panorama group do a number search on B 16004.

Adelaide View

Adelaide View

View of south western Adelaide from the Town Hall Tower with Franklin Street cutting across the view. The Maugham Methodist Church is dominant in this view of city buildings intersperced with open spaces with parklands in the distance. The two storey building on the left side of the church is Duncan & Fraser, Coach Builders. Part of Panorama of Adelaide / Photographed from the Town Hall tower by Townsend Duryea in 1865 / Copied in 15 sections from B 5099.

Old colonists 1836-1840 : John Townsend

Old colonists 1836-1840 : John Townsend

John Townsend arrived in South Australia in May 1839 on board the ship the "Planter". Dairyman, gardener, licensed victualler; Adelaide, Campbelltown, Norwood.

Sir Anthony Musgrave

Sir Anthony Musgrave

Sir Anthony Musgrave, Governor of South Australia for four years from 1873- 1877. He went on to be Governor of Jamaica for six years, then back to Australia to be Governor of Queensland.

Old colonists 1836-1840 : William Carman

Old colonists 1836-1840 : William Carman

William Carman arrived in South Australia in February 1840 on board the ship the "Rajasthan". Blacksmith, wheelwright, publican, farmer; Adelaide, Lyndoch Valley, Chain of Ponds, Keilli.

Old colonists 1836-1840 : William Wedd

Old colonists 1836-1840 : William Wedd

William Wedd arrived in South Australia in December 1838 on board the ship the "Lloyds". Farmer, Mount Barker.

Old colonists 1836-1840 : Francis Duffield

Old colonists 1836-1840 : Francis Duffield

Francis Duffield arrived in South Australia in December 1839 on board the ship the "Delhi". Secretary to Osmond Gilles, farmer, 'Cobden Grange', Mount Barker.

Old colonists 1836-1840 : Robert Walker Cleland

Old colonists 1836-1840 : Robert Walker Cleland

Robert Walker Cleland arrived in South Australia in April 1839 on board the ship the "Welcome". Shipping agent, Port Adelaide and Unley.

"Glen Para", Mt. Crawford

"Glen Para", Mt. Crawford

'Glen Para' residence built by David Erskine Randall (1819-1874) NNE of Mt. Crawford. The original was painted by his wife, Eliza Drake Randall, nee Wickes (1819-1902), probably in the 1860s. The single storey stone house built in 1851, was later purchased by William Rounsevell (1816-1874) who added a square tower to the house and called it Corryton Park. Notes on the back of photograph state: Erected by David Randall probably in the 1850's. Sections 1120, 670 and 1119 in Hundred of Barossa, marked the northern boundary of the property (a miles or two NNE of Mount Crawford) The house was built on land owned by C Flaxman who was a representative for George Angas Fife.

Commercial Street, Mount Gambier

Commercial Street, Mount Gambier

[General description] Mount Gambier, Commercial Street looking East. Streetscape shows Old Telegraph Office at corner, the weatherboard building built for an Institute now site of Town Hall, District Council, Mt. Gambier Office. On the corner of Nation Terrace stands the Jack Allen Ginger Beer Factory and Boarding House. [On the back of the photograph] nil information.

King William Street

King William Street

King William Street, west side, showing the buildings on the corner of Waymouth Street and King William Street. Two three storey buildings stand out among the single storey buildings which include a provisions store, two hotels, and a warehouse. A building covered in scaffolding on the extreme left of the photograph can be seen. Horses and carriages stand waiting in King William Street.

Old colonists 1836-1840 : William Gale

Old colonists 1836-1840 : William Gale

Probably William Gale arrived in South Australia in December 1839 on board the ship the "Duchess of Northumberland". Farmer, Morphett Vale, Goodwood.

Old colonists 1836-1840 : Samuel Henry Biggs

Old colonists 1836-1840 : Samuel Henry Biggs

Samuel Henry Biggs arrived in South Australia in September 1839 on board the ship the "Recovery". Baker and confectioner, Adelaide.