Photographic mosaic (composite)arranged by Adelaide photographer Henry Jones bearing the inscription ‘Group of Old Colonists’. The majority of the women depicted arrived in South Australia, or were born there, between 1836 and 1840. In May 1872 Jones placed advertisements in the Adelaide press inviting ‘lady old colonists’ to attend his studio to have their portraits taken for ‘a companion group’ to the mosaic he has creating of men who attended the Old Colonists Banquet at the Adelaide Town Hall on 28 December 1871 (see B 47769). Women had been excluded from the banquet by its host Emanuel Solomon. Jones began photographing women in June 1872 and was still taking photographs for the mosaic in 1881, the year that the work was completed. The mosaic was later owned by pastoralist Thomas Bowman who donated it to the Public Library of South Australia in 1909. The mosaic contains 598 portraits arranged in roughly alphabetical order.