Find • telegraph • Results 1 to 30 of 884

Plan of Overland Telegraph from Port Darwin to Port Augusta [cartographic material] /
compiled and drawn in the Office of the Post Master General and Superintendent of Telegraphs by Alexander Ringwood ; Frazer S. Crawford, Photolithographer

Plan of Overland Telegraph from Port Darwin to Port Augusta [cartographic material] / compiled and drawn in the Office of the Post Master General and Superintendent of Telegraphs by Alexander Ringwood ; Frazer S. Crawford, Photolithographer

Map of northern South Australia and Northern Territory showing the Overland Telegraph Line from Port Augusta, South Australia, to Palmerston in the north. Shows boundaries of counties and hundreds, telegraph line, natural features and notes and routes made by the Surveyor General, telegraph construction parties, etc. Relief shown by hachures. Details of the northern section from Palmerston to Katherine Station include coast, rivers and creeks, ranges, tablelands. Part 2 covers the area from the Roper River to Ashburton Range, Powell's Creek Station and Mt. Willieray just north of Tennant Creek and includes some notes on natural features.

Telegraph line at Mount Blatherskite, Northern Territory

Telegraph line at Mount Blatherskite, Northern Territory

Old Telegraph Line (originally identified as Pine Gap) near the MacDonnell Ranges. The following information was provided by a researcher: Telegraph Line at Mount Blatherskite, near Alice Springs, Nothern Territory. The telegraph line has two lines, showing the upgrade to the line completed in 1899, which also relocated the line to run through the Heavitree Gap, approximately 1km north. Image from the Price Collection of Fred Price, the Alice Springs Telegraph Stationmaster from 1919 to 1924. The photograph is featured in the book 'By packhorse and buggy' written by Fred Price's daughter.

Telegraph Station, Alice Springs

Telegraph Station, Alice Springs

Telegraph station, Alice Springs. The Telegraph Station buildings at Alice Springs were constructed in the 1870's. The site was one of the repeater stations for the Overland Telegraph Line that ran between Adelaide and Port Darwin. It was one of twelve stations along the Overland Telegraph Line used to relay messages between Darwin and Adelaide.

Drawings of the Overland Telegraph

Drawings of the Overland Telegraph

Six pencil sketches by William Fisher, of Overland Telegraph stations and related scenes, dated 1875.

Chief Telegraph Office, G.P.O. Adelaide

Chief Telegraph Office, G.P.O. Adelaide

'The Chief Telegraph Office, situated on the first floor of the newly completed General Post Office Building, 1872. Charles Todd, the Postmaster-General and Superintendent of Telegraphs is centre-foreground. Written on reverse: Telecom, 55. P.M.G. Engineering Divn. South Australia Drafting Section Photograph. Neg No. 9051/2, 24-5-72'.

Telegraph Station

Telegraph Station

[General description] The Alice Springs Telegraph Station with its group of outbuildings, constructed from local stone. It is set against the picturesque MacDonnell Ranges near a permament waterhole named Alice Springs after the wife of Charles Todd who was the head of the overland telegraph project at the time. The station is one of twelve repeater stations on the line between Adelaide and Darwin. Established in 1872 it operated for 60 years. [On back of photograph] 'Telegraph Station, Alice Springs / c. 1900 / compare with B 8349 which is stated to be 1896'.

Overland Telegraph Line

Overland Telegraph Line

Telegraph Station, Barrow Creek. The site was chosen in September 1871 by John Ross' Overland Telegraph exploring party, which was assessing Stuart's route to set up a telegraph line through Central Australia. This sketch shows the small building dwarfed by rocky hills in the background.

Telegraph Station

Telegraph Station

Telegraph station, Charlotte Waters showing the residence, telegraph repeater station, general store and post office. This is located close to the South Australian border with the Northern Territory. Surveyers McMinn and Knuckey located Charlotte Waters in 1871 during the construction of the Australian Overland Telegraph Line. It was named for Lady Charlotte Bacon. The station was nicknamed Bleak House as it stood on a treeless plain

Telegraph Station, Pine Creek

Telegraph Station, Pine Creek

Telegraph Station, Pine Creek. By 1873 a telegraph repeater station and police camp had been established at Pine Creek. Prior to the this, during the construction of the Overland Telegraph line from Adelaide to Darwin, gold was discovered triggering another gold rush. The town rapidly grew and by the 1890s up to fifteen mines were operating in the area. The photograph shows the wooden building with its iron roof set in a garden of banana palms and other tropical plants

Telegraph operators at Barrow Creek

Telegraph operators at Barrow Creek

BARROW CREEK: Four telegraph operators photographed at Barrow Creek Telegraph Station, Northern Territory; names not known.

Telegraph Station, Alice Springs

Telegraph Station, Alice Springs

Telegraph station, Alice Springs, constructed in the 1870s. To compare this view with one taken from a similar perspective in the 1890s, see B 8349. The site was one of the repeater stations for the Overland Telegraph Line that ran between Adelaide and Port Darwin. It was one of twelve stations along the Overland Telegraph Line used to relay messages between Darwin and Adelaide.

Post and Telegraph building, Willunga

Post and Telegraph building, Willunga

The old Post and Telegraph Station, High Street, Willunga, South Australia The single storey section of the building dates back to 1857 The other section dates to 1864 The original single storey building was opened in 1858 It contained the Post and Telegraph Station and the Residence of the Postmaster, the two storey section being added in 1865 The building ceased to be a Post and Telegraph Station in 1916 and underwent restoration in 1986.

Post Office - Telegraph

Post Office - Telegraph

Photograph of telegraphy instruments mounted on a wooden board possibly in a museum. The inscription says "These telegraph instruments were used to transmit from Kalangadoo on 3rd March 1962. The last telegram to be sent by morse code from a South Australian Post Office thus ending an era of morse telegraphy in the Post Office in South Australia which began on 18th February 1856."

Map of South Australia, showing the line of telegraph across the continent to the Northern Territory [cartographic material] /
signed Alfred Everard Lucy

Map of South Australia, showing the line of telegraph across the continent to the Northern Territory [cartographic material] / signed Alfred Everard Lucy

Shows telegraph line from Port Augusta to Port Darwin - part completed, part in progress; Lake Torrens and Peake Station; James, Devenport, Stuart's and Strangways Ranges; Arthur's Hill, Mount Denison and Sturt's Plain; Roper and Adelaide Rivers; Point Patterson. Ink.

Plan of Overland Telegraph from Port Darwin to Port Augusta (Sheet 1) [cartographic material] /
compiled by Alexander Ringwood

Plan of Overland Telegraph from Port Darwin to Port Augusta (Sheet 1) [cartographic material] / compiled by Alexander Ringwood

Compiled and drawn in the Office of the Post Master General and Superintendent of Telegraphs in 1873, this map shows the boundaries of Hundreds and Counties of the northern most section of the telegraph and includes natural features of the country from surveys and explorations made by the Surveyor General, telegraph construction parties and others. There are manuscript additions showing the route of McMinn's exploring party, signed by Jno.H.P. in 1877.

Map of the Overland Telegraph Line

Map of the Overland Telegraph Line

'This map of Australia shows the route of the overland telegraph line and the original stations'. Written on reverse: Telecom Australia, Neg. No 9010/1.

Daly Waters Telegraph Station

Daly Waters Telegraph Station

'Daly Waters Telegraph Station (looking South East)'. Written on reverse: S S217.

Telegraph Station, Port Darwin

Telegraph Station, Port Darwin

'The telegraph station at Port Darwin during the construction of the line'. Written on reverse: Telecom, 22.

Telegraph Station

Telegraph Station

Alice Springs Overland Telegraph Station. Work on the Alice Springs station began in November 1871, the initial building being the telegraph office and men's quarters. In the following years, a harness room, buggy shed, barracks, police station, and Station Manager's house were added. Initial staffing was the station manager, one assistant telegraphist, and four linesmen, the latter maintaining almost three hundred miles of line. The station remained in service until 1932.

Telegraph Station

Telegraph Station

Alice Springs (Mparntwe) Telegraph Station marks the original site of the first European settlement in South Australia. It was established in 1871 to relay messages between Darwin and Adelaide and linking with an underwater cable network to London providing the first communication between Australia and England. In 1874 twenty five square miles around the station was procalimed a reserve and the town in the middle was named Stuart. The Telegraph Station precinct contained the following outbuildings - policemen's quarters, harness and buggy sheds, stationmaster's residence, battery room, blacksmith's shop and a kitchen-mess room. These buildings are shown in the photograph which was taken from the east side.

Telegraph Station

Telegraph Station

Telegraph Station at Alice Springs. F.J. Gillen sits right with his son Brian. Francis James Gillen (1855-1912) was Special Magistrate, Aboriginal Sub-Protector and Station Master of the Alice Springs Telegraph Office from 1892. He was married with six children.

Telegraph Station

Telegraph Station

Telegraph Station and stockyard, Alice Springs. The stone station and outbuildings were established in 1872 to relay messages between Darwin and Adelaide. It was one of twelve stations along the Overland Telegraph Line. The first postmaster was Johannes Mueller.

Telegraph Station

Telegraph Station

Pencil sketch taken from McMinn's diary p.137 of the site of the central Telegraph Station. Site of the spring marked by an X. Heavitree Gap marked "o" in centre background. This sacred site is known as Ntaripe in the Arrernte language and is a water gap in the Northern Territory in the MacDonnell Ranges. It is the southern entrance to Alice Springs and carries the Todd River. The gap was given its European name by William Mills, the Overland Telegraph line surveyor who discovered the location of Alice Springs

Telegraph Wagon

Telegraph Wagon

Horse drawn Overland Telegraph repair wagon.

Telegraph Station

Telegraph Station

Telegraph Station at Alice Springs: a sketch by William Pounsett of the Telegraph Station staff.

Telegraph Workers

Telegraph Workers

Telegraph linesmen with their wagonette near Alice Springs.

Telegraph Workers

Telegraph Workers

Telegraph staff, Albert Hewish, George Hablett, Jack Fox, Bernie Supple and Charlie Towers at the old Telegraph Repeating Station near Alice Springs.

Overland Telegraph Line

Overland Telegraph Line

Barrow Creek Telegraph Station was settled by Europeans in 1872 when the Overland Telegraph Line was established. At the time of this photograph Barrow Creek was the scene of the last major massacre of Aborigines in Australia. An estimated seventy Aboriginals were killed in retribution for the death of dingo trapper Fred Brooks.

Telegraph station Daly Waters

Telegraph station Daly Waters

Telegraph station Daly Waters. The Overland Telegraph Line reached Daly Waters from the north in June 1872 and for two months a pony express carried messages the 421 kilometres to Tennant Creek via Renner Springs, Northern Territory.

Telegraph Station, Eucla

Telegraph Station, Eucla

EUCLA: Three telegraph staff playing billiards at the Station; four shaded kerosene lamps are suspended over the table and three men play a game.