Find • portrait collection • Results 4,291 to 4,320 of 10,681


Alfred H. Angel
Alfred H. Angel of the Register staff. The Register was originally known as the South Australian Gazette and Colonial Register and later the South Australian Register was South Australia's first newspaper. It was first published in London in June 1936 and moved to Adelaide in 1837


Thomas Carlyon Angove
Thomas Carlyon Angove (skipper), Commander of the Royal S.A. Yacht Squadron. Thomas Carlyon, the son of William Angove of winemaking fame established a winery at Renmark as well as the family vineyard at Tea Tree Gully. At the time there were no wineries in the Riverland and the winery's move to the district assured the settlement's survival. Thomas studied the production of brandy in France and made his first Angove brandy in 1925. It was the beginning of the St Agnes Brandy label. After World War II he took over from his father as Managing Director of the company


Hugh Thomas Moffit Angwin
Hugh Thomas Moffit Angwin, Chief Engineer. His successful projects include the Barossa to Salisbury and Mannun to Adelaide pipelines, brown coal mining at Leigh Creek, sewerage treatment works at Glenelg, completion of Mount Bold reservoir and the design of the South Para reservoir. He was efficient and impartial throughout his life in his capacity as engineer, soldier and public service head.


Captain Charles Sturt
Captain Charles Sturt. [Same as B 70378/3]


George Fife Angas
George Fife Angas.


John Anthony
John Anthony.


Mrs John Anthony
Mrs John Anthony.


Francis Appleton
Mr and Mrs Francis Appleton, post office and local storekeeper. According to a researcher, this is Francis Appleton who died on 27 September 1923 and his wife Charlotte Warren 1842-1919. Francis was the youngest son of the late Mr Richard Appleton, of Hill's House, Widnes, Lancashire. He left England as a lad in January 1852, aboard the Water Lily (ship). Francis was the post master for seventeen years at Edwardstown SA. Sourced from Trove.


Dr. E.L. Archer
Dr. E.L. Archer from Moonta.


E. A. North Ash
Reverend E.A. North Ash, Rector of St. John's church in Halifax Street.


Sergeant Arnold
Seargeant Arnold.


James Ashton
James Ashton, South Australian Painter and Teacher of Art. He arrived in Adelaide in 1884, established the Norwood Art School in 1886 and founded the Academy of Arts in 1895. His students included Hans Heysen, Hayley Lever, Frank White, Gustave Barnes, Arthur Baker-Clack and his son Will Ashton.


James Ashton
Caricature of James Ashton 'pioneer South Australian painter'.


James Ashton
James Ashton, Artist.


James Ashton
James Ashton in his studio.


James Gibson Ashton
James Gibson Ashton.


Joseph Yates Ashton
Joseph Yates Ashton, Lands Titles Department, arrived 1848. He died 10 January 1869 aged 57. [Information from verso of cart-de-visite].


Joseph Yates Ashton
Joseph Yates Ashton.


Mr Isaac Asher
Mr Isaac Asher.


Thomas Henry Atkinson
Thomas Henry Atkinson, chairman of the destitute board and first chairman of the Children's Welfare and Public Relief Board.


Andrew Attiwill
Andrew Attiwill and John Goss early residents of Mt. Gambier.


Jack Augustus
Jack Augustus Swede Sailor Jack. Jack Augustus was employed by Malen Rumbelow and Sons and was buried in Victor Harbor Cemetery


John Baptist Austin
John Baptist Austin III, mining expert; son of Rev. John Baptist Austin was born at Hastings. The family left England in 1843 aboard the "Augustus" arriving in Adelaide in 1844. The family lived at Macclesfield, later the property was called "Lashbrooke". John Baptist Austin III became interested in mining. Together with his family he lived at Burnside from 1876 until his death in 1896. He is remembered as a mining expert, journalist and his lithograph entitled "Adelaide, South Australia, from west end of Hindley Street" printed in 1849.


Sir Henry Ayers
[General description] Photograph of a bust of Sir Henry Ayers. Sir Henry became a prominent South Australian financier with lucrative mining interests at Burra Burra, later legislator and Premier of South Australia from 15th July 1863 - 4th August 1864. Knighted C.M.G, K.C.M.G and G.C.M.G. [On back of photograph] 'Bust of Sir Henry Ayers / Described by members of Sir Henry's family as a very poor likeness, the expression being quite at variance with his customary geniality'.


Sir Henry Ayers
Sir Henry Ayers.


Harry Lockett Ayers
Harry Lockett Ayers, second son of Sir Henry Ayers. He was born in 1844 and died in 1905.


Sir Henry Ayers
Sir Henry Ayers was the 8th Premier of South Australia serving a record 5 times between 1863 and 1873. He emigrated from England as a carpenter, worked as a law clerk, became secretary of the Burra Burra Mines, was elected to the first South Australian Legislative Council, held various positions until later becoming Premier.


Sir Henry Ayers
Sir Henry Ayers , Premier of South Australia five times between 1863-1873. Ayers Rock/Uluru named for him. He emigrated as a carpenter to South Australia in 1840. Later appointed managing director of the Burra Burra Copper Mines. Elected to South Australian Legislative Council in 1857. He resided in Ayers House which had been built into a grand mansion.


Sir Henry Ayers
Sir Henry Ayers.


George Hamilton Ayliffe
George Hamilton Ayliffe.