Photographs of South Australian subjects [PRG 631/2] • Manuscript

Alfred Catt's wedding

Alfred Catt's wedding

Wedding group at the residence of A. Davey, Payneham Road, 8 June 1898. This was a second marriage for both bride and groom: Emily Chanter (nee Davey), aged 52, was widowed in 1894; Alfred Catt, aged 64, became a widower in 1896.

Theatre at Mr Barr-Smith's residence

Theatre at Mr Barr-Smith's residence

A group of young women on stage in the theatre at the residence of Mr Barr-Smith, 20 July 1898.

Magarey's Mill, Hindmarsh

Magarey's Mill, Hindmarsh

Identified as 'Magarey's Mill [at] Hindmarsh' the main focus of the photo is the Magarey family home viewed from Manton Street, with family members in the garden in the foreground. These include T.C.A. Magarey; Alec; Jessie; Allen; Jean; Agnes Dawson; Mary. The chimney and roof of the mill can be seen behind the house. Taken 23 July 1898. The Mill was originally built and owned by John Ridley.

Old scholars of Pulteney Street School, Jubilee Reunion Concert

Old scholars of Pulteney Street School, Jubilee Reunion Concert

'Old scholars group' from Pulteney Street School, pictured in Albert Hall, Pirie Street celebrating the 50th anniversary of the opening of the school. The following information was provided by the Pulteney archives: Jubilee Reunion Concert and Social to mark the 50th anniversary of the opening of the Pulteney street school (consisting of speeches, music, singing and refreshments) was held on Monday 15 August 1898 in the Albert Hall, Pirie Street. Two hundred and ten tickets at 1 shilling and sixpence each were sold.The Rev WS Moore presided and was joined on the stage by two distinguished old scholars, Frederick W Holder (Treasurer of SA) and John Darling,MP, who spoke with feeling of their days at Pulteney Street School when Moore was their Headmaster. Holder had also been one of Moore's junior assistants at one time. Speeches were interspersed with musical items under the direction of the Cathedral organist Mr JM Dunn. Two boys from the school, RG Hosking and C Pizey contributed to the programme [SA Register 16 August 1898, p3]. The white bearded man at front is EK Miller (first headmaster) and next to him (his left) is RC Mitton (4th headmaster). WS Moore (8th headmaster) is possibly the white haired and bearded man further to their left.

Children's ball

Children's ball

Attendees at the Children's Ball, held at Government House on 11 August 1898. Sir Fowell and Lady Victoria Buxton are seated at the front of the group.

Birdseye view of Adelaide and environs

Birdseye view of Adelaide and environs

Copy of a published panorama of Adelaide and environs, published by McCarron, Bird & Co, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.

Rundle Street opposite Synagogue Place

Rundle Street opposite Synagogue Place

Rundle Street, south side, November 27th 1901, left side of Hubbards is 1.5 yards east of Synogogue Place and frontage is 14 yards. The shop depicted is Jno. R Hubbard and Son of London dyers and cleaners. A Royal Coat of Arms states 'By Appointment to His Excellency Lord Tennyson GCMG'.

Rundle Street corner of Charles Street

Rundle Street corner of Charles Street

John Martins on the West corner of Rundle and Charles Streets, Charles Street frontage is 64.5 yards and Rundle Street frontage is 42 yards. See also B2640 and B5352. The building is festooned with flags and posters for the Magic Cave appear in the windows. The street is busy with shoppers and carriages.

Waymouth Street, Adelaide

Waymouth Street, Adelaide

View of the right of way behind the Santo Building in Waymouth Street, 20 November 1903.

Anster Avenue off Waymouth Street

Anster Avenue off Waymouth Street

Anster Avenue, east side, November 20th 1903, far side of Federal Boot Factory is 35 yards north of Waymouth Street and frontage is 35.5 yards. Situated near Topham Street this two storey building plus basement holds the Federal Boot Factory.

Hindmarsh Square, Adelaide

Hindmarsh Square, Adelaide

View of the facade of Will's Shirt Factory, located on the corner of Pulteney Street, Hindmarsh Square, Adelaide.

Fisher Place off Gawler Place

Fisher Place off Gawler Place

Fisher Place, north side, looking east, 13 September 1904. Extreme right is 98 1/2 yards east of Gawler Place. The western front of Wills premises is 38 1/2 yards east of Gawler Place. The three storied red brick building plus basement housing G&R Wills and Company stands in Fisher Place.

Pulteney Street near Rundle Street

Pulteney Street near Rundle Street

Pulteney Street, south side of Rundle Street near Martin Lane. The three storey building on the corner is G&R Wills and Company clothing manufacturers.

Grenfell Street corner of Coromandel Place

Grenfell Street corner of Coromandel Place

Grenfell Street, south side, April 19th 1904, frontage of building is 9.5 yards. This four storey building on the western corner of Coromandel Place and Grenfell Street houses H T Slatter and Son shoe factors, importers and indentors. This new building has many available rooms for rent.

Grenfell Street corner of Gawler Place

Grenfell Street corner of Gawler Place

Grenfell Street, south side. On the left is Gawler Place and on the right is Commercial Place. The corner building at number 40 houses Castle Salt Co-operative Company Limited.

Grenfell Street near Commercial Place

Grenfell Street near Commercial Place

Grenfell Street, south side, frontage of Paper & Bag Co. is 10 yards and frontage of Goode, Durrant's is 16.5 yards. On the right is Commercial Place and on the left is Gawler Place.The four storey building is the warehouse for Goode, Durrant and Company Limited. Sir Charles Henry Goode (26 May 1827 – 5 February 1922) was a merchant, businessman, politician and philanthropist in the early days South Australia. He founded Goode, Durrant and Company in 1882. The smaller two storey building next door houses the SA Paper and Bag Company and also importer, indentors and manufacturers agent ARB Lucas and Company.

East Terrace corner of Gilles Street

East Terrace corner of Gilles Street

East Terrace, south corner of Gilles Street. St Corantyn is linked to some renowned Adelaide Citizens. It was built for Charles Atkins Hornabrook, a son of John Hornabrook who arrived in the colony in 1838. This mansion has a strong Gothic influence with its pointed windows edged with pillars and its castellated chimneys. Originally named Eotherm, it was built in 1891 for Charles Hornabrook who made his fortune as the licensee of the York Hotel in Rundle Street. In 1928 Sir John Lavington Bonython and his family moved into the house which he renamed St Corantyn.

Currie Street near Topham Street

Currie Street near Topham Street

Currie Street, south side, frontage of Colton's is 31 yards. This three storey brick building occupies the west corner of Topham Street and Currie Street. Harold, Colton and Company Limited traded as ironmongers, hardware merchants, manufacturers of saddlery, harness, tarpaulins, canvas blinds, makers of cabin and travelling bags, suit cases, etc, from premises in Currie Street.

Angas Street north side near Chancery Lane

Angas Street north side near Chancery Lane

Angas Street, north side, Barr Smith's house, 1903, eastern side of house is 41 yards west of Chancery Lane and the frontage of the building 35 yards. Robert Barr Smith (4 February 1824 – 20 November 1915) was an Australian businessman and philanthropist. In 1855 Robert Barr Smith joined Elder and Company at Adelaide and became a partner in the business which from 1863 was known as Elder Smith and Company. The Barr Smith house in Angas Street was a single storey brick residence with a bay window at the front and a side verandah.

Residence of Robert Barr Smith

Residence of Robert Barr Smith

Residence of R. Barr Smith in Angas Street, north side, 1903, east side of house is 41 yards west of Chancery Lane and frontage is 35 yards. The house was a single storey brick residence with a bay window at the front and a side verandah.

Brougham Place near O'Connell Street

Brougham Place near O'Connell Street

Brougham Place, 1903, far side of the house is 95 yards east of O'Connell Street and frontage is 23 yards. This two storey Federation house was built for George Milne, wine and spirit merchant (1856-1934) This style of house was relatively rare in South Australia because in the short period when they were popular, the central colony was less prosperous than its neighbours. The walls were of stone rather than brick, and the woodwork was painted more brightly.

Brougham Place adjoining Bishop's Court

Brougham Place adjoining Bishop's Court

Brougham Place, November 1902, frontage of building is 25 yards. This two storey stone house on Brougham Place has bay windows and a balcony over the front verandah.

Residence of Dr J. C. Verco

Residence of Dr J. C. Verco

Residence of Dr J. C. Verco on the west corner of Charles Street and North Terrace, frontage of house is 24 yards. This two storey bluestone house was built by HL Vosz and was the residence of Sir Joseph Cooke Verco.

Members of the Norwood Bowling Club

Members of the Norwood Bowling Club

Members of the Norwood Bowling Club, pictured outside the club house.

Organ at Elder Conservatorium

Organ at Elder Conservatorium

View of the console and pipes of the Elder Conservatorium organ.

Medals won by Bagshaw and Co.

Medals won by Bagshaw and Co.

A collection of prize medals won by the South Australian company Bagshaw & Co.

Kalyra Sanatorium

Kalyra Sanatorium

Two views of the Kalyra Sanatorium on Gloucester Avenue, Belair.

Goode Wing, Kalyra Sanatorium

Goode Wing, Kalyra Sanatorium

The Goode Wing of the Kalyra Sanatorium on Gloucester Avenue, Belair.

Isolation building at Kalyra Sanatorium

Isolation building at Kalyra Sanatorium

Two views of the isolation building at the Kalyra Sanatorium on Gloucester Avenue, Belair.

Dining Hall, Kalyra Sanatorium

Dining Hall, Kalyra Sanatorium

The dining hall at Kalyra Sanatorium on Gloucester Avenue, Belair.