Photographs of South Australian subjects [PRG 631/2] • Manuscript

Jubilee Oval

Jubilee Oval

Boater and bowler hats are popular headwear amongst the crowd at the cycle races at Jubilee Oval. There is a banked cycling track on the oval at this time. [On back of photograph] 'Cycle races at the Jubilee Oval / About 1904'.

Adelaide From G.P.O. Tower

Adelaide From G.P.O. Tower

Adelaide city building rooftops give way to the distant suburbs and hills with Pirie Street cutting diagonally across the view. This photograph is part of a panorama taken by Ernest Gall from the G.P.O. Building. The Treasury Buildings are in the foreground. [On back of photograph] 'Adelaide / Looking north east from the G.P.O. Tower / About 1900 / The City Corporation Offices, (past or present) can be seen behind the Prince Alfred Hotel / They comprise a two storey building and a one storey structure behind it'.

Adelaide panorama

Adelaide panorama

Sweeping view of city buildings' rooftops stretching out towards distant south parklands and southern hills beyond. Victoria Square is in the foreground (note the National Mutual Life building, G.E. Morgan's monumental mason's yard, Morialta Chambers, the Windsor Castle Hotel (Licensee G. Lee). The Adelaide Central Market is in Grote Street (centre left) and the dark patch above the markets is Whitmore Square. [On back of photograph] 'Adelaide / Looking south west from the G.P.O. Tower / About 1900', looking towards This photograph is part of a panorama taken by Ernest Gall from the G.P.O. Building.

Adelaide From G.P.O. Tower

Adelaide From G.P.O. Tower

Adelaide city rooftops merge into the distant parklands and suburbs beyond. Waymouth Street cuts diagonally through the middle of the view. This photograph is part of a panorama taken by Ernest Gall from the G.P.O. Building. [On back of photograph] 'Adelaide looking north west from the G.P.O. Tower / About 1900'.

Adelaide From G.P.O. Tower

Adelaide From G.P.O. Tower

City buildings rooftops and horse-drawn traffic in King William Street on a damp day with the Town Hall prominent on the right. Horse trams can be seen, also cabs waiting for business in the centre of the road. In the distance King William Road leads to North Adelaide. This view is part of a panorama taken by Ernest Gall from the G.P.O. Building. [On back of photograph] 'Adelaide looking north from the G.P.O. Tower / About 1900'.

Literary Staff of the Register, Observer and the Evening Journal

Literary Staff of the Register, Observer and the Evening Journal

Group portrait of 'The Literary Staff of the Register, the Observer and the Evening Journal'. Back row (from left): H.G. Garland, H.R. Syme, W.A. Sowden, B.W. Smith, C.J. Matthews, J.S. Bridgman, H.C. Moody, J.C. Bridges, C.J. Steven, W.J. Martin, E.W. Parish, R. Foster, A. Jacobs, V.L. Stevens, H.B. Horton. Front row (from left): R. Cockburn, A.S. Diamond, W.C. Calder, E. Whitington, C.P. Moody, R. Burns, W.J. Sowden, E.K. Thomas, Rex K. Thomas, L.M. Chinner, E.J. Stacy, F. Johns, W.H. Briggs. [This photo was published in 'The Observer', Saturday 6 August 1919, page 29.]

Port Pirie

Port Pirie

Port Pirie.

John Langdon Bonython

John Langdon Bonython

John Langdon Bonython, proprietor and editor of The Advertiser newspaper, photographed at his desk.

Grenfell Street near James Place

Grenfell Street near James Place

Grenfell Street, north side - Australian Widows' Fund Society Limited building. Left side is 32 yards east of James Place, frontage 14-1/2 yards. Above the entrance stands a carved statue of a man breaking sticks across one knee. "Union is Strength' is written underneath. The Australian Widow's Fund Society Limited houses many other firms including CT Lane Accountants and Financial Agents, Collin and Company Commission Merchants and General Importers, TH Smeaton Architect, WW Ewbank surgeon, Dr. AE Wigg and Sinclair Art Studio.

North Terrace east of Gawler Place

North Terrace east of Gawler Place

North Terrace east, July 1903. Right side of the two storey house on the right is 38 1/2 yards east of Gawler Place. In the foreground of the photograph the gardens and driveway in front of the State Library of South Australia can be seen. The two and three storey buildings along the southern side of North Terrace form a pleasing streetscape. Pedestrians, horse and carriages are moving along the terrace.

Wright Street corner of Market Street

Wright Street corner of Market Street

Wright Street, north side, December 91 1897, Wright Street frontage is 13 yards and Market Street frontage is 24 yards. This corner building is the home of the Deaf and Dumb Church and Institute and the Colton Building. There is a steeple above the corner main entrance. Lady Colton was a philanthropist and suffragist.

'Carclew', North Adelaide

'Carclew', North Adelaide

'Carclew', situated on Montefiore Hill between Jeffcott Street and Strangways Terrace, on the 30th November, 1897. Originally named 'Stalheim", it was built in 1897 by Sir Hugh Dixson (later Hugh Denison) tobacco magnate. It was sold to Sir Langdon Bonython in 1908 and renamed 'Carclew'. Jeffcott Street frontage: 69 1/2 yards. Montefiore Hill frontage: 69 1/2 yards.The attractive sandstone two storey building has a turret, verandahs, balconies and a sweeping drive.

Currie Street near Topham Street

Currie Street near Topham Street

Currie Street, south side, frontage of Colton's is 31 yards. On the left is Topham street. Harrold Colton and Company Limited, ironmongers, stands on this corner.The building suffered a huge fire in 1907.

Collin & Company premises on North Terrace near Gresham Street

Collin & Company premises on North Terrace near Gresham Street

Collin & Company premises, North Terrace west, corner of Gresham Street. Frontage: 8 and a half yards. This prominent corner building has three storeys and a basement By the early 1900s, the company had secured sole agency rights for a large number of European and American exporters of foodstuffs, iron and steel, and oil. The most significant of these appears to have been the Shell Transport and Trading Co Ltd (forerunner of Royal Dutch Shell) for which Gollin and Co handled the distribution of oil and kerosene in most Australian states until 1905 when Shell established its first Australian branch.

King William Street near Currie Street

King William Street near Currie Street

King William Street west side 15 April 1898. Right side of Colonial Mutual Fire Office is 47 yards south Currie Street. Frontage of Colonial Mutual Fire Office is 47 yards. This building at 71 King William Street also houses the offices of Bray and Hackett Solicitors, various wine merchants including Penfold, Oaklands. R Barrett House and Land Estate Agents.

Byron Place

Byron Place

Byron Place, north east corner of Oakley Place, 9 May 1898. Right side of cottages is 40 yards north of Grote Street. Frontage: 30 yards. For views of these five cottages taken in 1954 see B13152 and B13153.

St. Peter's Cathedral about 1890

St. Peter's Cathedral about 1890

Photograph showing the uncompleted cathedral. St. Peter's Cathedral was started in 1869 and the first section was completed and opened fully for services in 1877.

Jeffcott Street North Adelaide

Jeffcott Street North Adelaide

Jeffcott Street looking north, about 1900. Near side of house on extreme right (on east side of Jeffcott St) is 210 yards south of Ward Street. Christ Church can be seen in the middle of the photograph. Bishop Augustus Short initiated the building of Christ Church North Adelaide in 1848 and the building was consecrated in 1849. In 1852 the Rectory was built next door to the church.

Grenfell Street near James Place

Grenfell Street near James Place

Grenfell Street, north side. Left side of Mutual Life Association building is 46 1/2 yards east of James Place. Frontage: 15 1/2 yards. The three storey building has two archways at the front - the public entrance and an arch covered laneway. 'Established in 1869' is carved into stone above the ground window. For alterations etc. made in 1936 see B 7046.

Gawler Place near Rundle Street

Gawler Place near Rundle Street

Gawler Place, east side. About 1901. Three storey building is 5 1/2 yards south of Featherstone Place. Frontage : 41 yards. The building appears to be an ironmongers and north of this stands a cleaning and dyeworks business. Several horse, carriages amd pedestrians are in Gawler Place.

Hindmarsh Square, north west side

Hindmarsh Square, north west side

Hindmarsh Square, north side, October 5th 1897, right side of centre houses is 38 yards west of Pulteney Street. Businesses seen include A Walton and Company Confectioners, Pengelley and Hill carpenters, Griffiths Brothers wholesale tea, coffee and cocoa importers and merchants, and behind stands Robert Harper and Company. A glimpse of the iron paling fence protecting the Hindmarsh Square gardens can be seen.

Jetty at Semaphore

Jetty at Semaphore

Semaphore jetty & baths. The baths run perpendicular to the end of the long jetty. A small raised band stand is situated on the foreshore adjacent to the beach.

"Carclew", North Adelaide

"Carclew", North Adelaide

"Carclew", Montefiore Hill, between Jeffcott St. and Strangways Tce., 30th November 1897. Jeffcott St. frontage: 69 1/2 yards. Montefiore Hill frontage: 69 1/2 yards. Originally built by Hugh Dixson and afterwards owned by Hugh Denison, tobacco magnate. Later, the property of Sir Langdon Bonython.

Commercial Place

Commercial Place

[General description] City buildings around a cleared block on the corner of Commercial Place, Exchange Place and McHenry Street. This block is to be the site of the new Adelaide Stock Exchange building. See B 71979 for a view of the building taken in a different era. [On back of photograph] There is a small map of the area with the caption; 'Acre 169 / Vacant site shown in photograph is marked in red / The Adelaide Stock Exchange was subsequently erected on this site'.

Rundle Street near Charles Street

Rundle Street near Charles Street

Rundle Street near Charles Street. Charles Street frontage is 69 1/2 yards. Rundle Street frontage is 42 yards. The three storey building on these premises is John Martin and Company Limited. Posters in the first floor windows advertise the Magic Cave. The street outside is busy with shoppers and carriages.

Rundle Street near Charles Street

Rundle Street near Charles Street

Rundle Street, south side, November 1898, right side of Hunter's is 28 yards east of Charles Street. The two storey building photographed houses John Hunter and Company Limited City Boot Palace. This well stocked shop has two front windows brimming with footware.

Bank Street & North Terrace

Bank Street & North Terrace

North Terrace West Corner of Bank Street, 15 July 1907 Frontage of three storey building on corner (Commercial Travelers club): 161/2 yards. Far side of shops next door east is 31 yards east of Bank Street. Foundation stone of building laid in 1904.

Jetty at Largs Bay

Jetty at Largs Bay

Jetty at Largs Bay with a steam train pulling carriages. Several boats are moored at the end of the 'L' shaped jetty.

Excavations in Currie Street

Excavations in Currie Street

Excavations for the National Mutual Life Assurance building in Currie Street, Adelaide, 14 April 1898.

Members of the Chamber of Commerce

Members of the Chamber of Commerce

Group photo of members of the Adelaide Chamber of Commerce, taken at the annual meeting, 1898.