Photographs of South Australian subjects [PRG 631/2] • Manuscript

Blyth Street off Hindley Street

Blyth Street off Hindley Street

Off Blyth Street, west side, the southern side of Max Swift's is 30 yards north of Hindley Street. The premises house Max Swift's Furniture Warehouse and Complete House Furnishers. A selection of cane chairs can be seen in the windows. They also sell dining room suites, drawing room suites and bedroom suites.

Hindley Street opposite Victoria Street

Hindley Street opposite Victoria Street

Hindley Street, south side, Grand Coffee Palace, right side of building is 2.5 yards west of Victoria Street and frontage is 29.5 yards. This three storey building with wrought iron lace work fencing on the first floor balcony houses the Grand Coffee Palace. It has brass plaques either side of the doorway. Eight sets of verandah posts support the balcony of this large building.

Pulteney Street corner of Hindmarsh Square

Pulteney Street corner of Hindmarsh Square

North west corner of Pulteney Street and Hindmarsh Square. The Adelaide Motor Car Works building stands on the corner and is part of several buildings making up this business. Drivers and cars are parked outside the premises.

Hindmarsh Square, north west corner

Hindmarsh Square, north west corner

North west corner of Hindmarsh Square. Frontage of Adelaide Motor Works Garage (on extreme left, on west side of square) is 22 yards. Other buildings on the corner of Pulteney Street and Hindmarsh Square house more premises of The Adelaide Motor Car Works and Garage. Gays Arcade can be seen in the distance above the garage roof. The garage also offers cars on hire and stabled. Several cars and drivers are parked in front of these premises.

Chambers of Manufactures meeting

Chambers of Manufactures meeting

Third annual meeting of the Federal Council of the Chambers of Manufactures of the Commonwealth of Australia, held at Adelaide, 10-12 September 1906. Back row (from left): A. Barrett (SA), A. Wunderlich (NSW), F. Lichner (NSW), C. Anderson (NSW), P.H. Evans (Sec. SA), J.C. Bowring (NSW), C.A.L. Loney (Treas. NSW), R. Aitkin Pryor (Vic - President, Victoria), Geo T. Clarke (Sec. Council and Sec. NSW), F.W. Kitchen (Victoria). Front row (from left): R. Burns Cuming (Vice-President, SA), Jeffrey Denniss (Vice-President Council, and Presdient NSW), J.M. Reid (President Council, and President SA), J.M. Joshua (President, Victoria), R. Hogarth (Tasmania).

Panorama of Adelaide showing Flinders Street looking east

Panorama of Adelaide showing Flinders Street looking east

Panorama of Adelaide, looking east from the Post Office Tower showing Flinders Street. A chemist, tobacconist and printer are located in the two storey building on the corner of Flinders Street and Victoria Square. Horses, carts and two horse drawn buses travel along Flinders Street.

Franklin Street, looking west from Post Office

Franklin Street, looking west from Post Office

Looking west from the Adelaide Post Office along Franklin Street. In the foreground (with the horse and cart and two workmen) is Post Office Place which did not then run through to Waymouth Street.

Victoria Square, Adelaide

Victoria Square, Adelaide

Looking south from the Adelaide Post Office across Victoria Square to the Magistrates Court (left) and Supreme Court (Right) and the suburbs of Unley and Parkside beyond. The statue of Queen Victoria, unveiled 1894, is in the centre of Victoria Square. Fred Herring Monumental Sculptor business is on the northen corner of Grote Street and Victoria Square. His display of headstones and statues is visible. Globe Chambers stands on the southern corner of Grote Street. A row of cottages stand facing the Square on the corner of Angas Street.

Panorama of Adelaide

Panorama of Adelaide

The Government Offices Building is central in this panoramic view across the south eastern corner of Adelaide to the hills face. Victoria Square with gardens and road with horse drawn buggies are in the foreground. Business premises seen are the American Carriage Company and the South Australian Land Mortgage & Agency Company. St Andrew's Presbyterian Church spire is in the middle of the view and St Xavier's Cathedral and hall is on the right. [On back of photograph] 'Looking south east from the Post Office Tower / 1895-96 / in the foreground is Victoria Square east, between Flinders and Wakefield Streets'Panorama of the south east part of Adelaide, from the Post Office tower.

North Terrace, Adelaide

North Terrace, Adelaide

[General description] Public buildings and gardens on North Terrace, the Mitchell building being prominent on the left. Horse drawn traffic on North Terrace includes a tram. On the left, in front of one of the buildings is a small white sign on which, when magnified, the words 'Madam Mora, Phrenologist' can be seen. [On back of photograph] 'North Terrace East / Looking west from Chalmers Church / 1900-07 / From right to left are the University, the Art Gallery, the Museum, the Public Library and the Institute building'.

Cattle Market

Cattle Market

[General description] Stockyards and associated buildings at the cattle market near North Terrace. [On back of photograph] 'The cattle market / 12th August 1903 / The market was removed to the Abattoirs on its establishment in about 1913' There is a small detailed map of its site on the back of the photograph.

Engine

Engine

This is a photograph of an exhibition of various pieces of (probably steam driven) machinery. The large engine in the foreground has a placard in front of it which reads as follows; 'This old beam engine is one of the first six engines of its type built by the celebrated Watts / It was brought out to South Australia by the late Mr. John Ridley and put under steam by him / It was the first engine under steam and the first to grind meal in South Australia / It is the oldest engine now under steam in the world / Presented for preservation to the South Australian Chamber of Manufactures inc. by Mr. Thomas Magarey' [On back of photograph] 'Engine used by John Ridley in his flour mill at Hindmarsh in 1840'. According to a researcher, this photo was taken at the S.A. Chamber of Manufactures 'Century Exhibition of Arts and Industries', held 15 March to 16 April 1900. (see Express & Telegraph, 15 March 1900, p. 2) The engine was also exhibited at their 1905 'South Australian Exhibition of Arts, Products and Industries', but by then Henderson & Co, Confectioners, exhibiting to the right of the engine, were no longer trading. Some of the statements on the sign in the photo are false. See LJ Jones, 'The beam-engine of Ridley's "Hindmarsh Mill": the fate of an historic artefact', South Australiana vol 19 no 1, March 1980.

King William Street near Pirie Street

King William Street near Pirie Street

King William Street, east side, November 10th 1893, right side of Colonial Mutual Life Office is 14.5 yards north of Pirie Street and frontage is 9.5 yards. This three storey building also houses a firm of solicitors, Colonial Sugar Refining Company, WL Ware finacial agent, mining and estate agent and D Williams and Charles T Good Architects, and at Number 96 King William Street stands a licensed land broker.

MacKinnon Parade near Bundeys Road

MacKinnon Parade near Bundeys Road

MacKinnon Parade, January 1901. This house stands on the south west corner of Acre 974 in North Adelaide. It is about 60 yards east of Bundeys Road. The brick house is shaded by shrubs and creepers.

Rundle Street near Gawler Place

Rundle Street near Gawler Place

Rundle Street, south side, 26th July 1901. Near side of Griffith's building is 30 yards west of Gawler Place; its frontage is 12 yards. Griffiths Brothers Propriety Limited sell tea, coffee and cocoa from their four storey building. On one side of Griffiths stands Howell and Young Piano and Organ Sellers. Ladies Tailor City Shop stands on the other side.

Gawler Place, south west corner of Grenfell Street

Gawler Place, south west corner of Grenfell Street

South west corner of Gawler Place and Grenfell Street, Gawler Place frontage is 43.5 yards and Grenfell Street frontage is 37 yards. This newly built two storey building has rooms to let. On the Gawler Place side stands H Schulz Hairdresser, and London House. Ladies with parasols are walking by. The flag on top of the building appears to be flying at half mast.

Hyde Street near Gawler Place

Hyde Street near Gawler Place

Hyde Street, east side, October 31st 1901, left side of Y.W.C.A. is 30 yards south of Grenfell Street and frontage is 13.5 yards. The Young Women Christian Association founded in 1900 owns this two storey red brick building dedicated to Lady Colton.

Parliament House

Parliament House

[General description] Members of the second Constitutional Convention seated in the House of Assembly. The delegates were elected by popular vote. [On back of photograph] 'Federal Convention / In session in the House of Assembly / Adelaide / March 26, 1897'. See B 12572 for a photograph with the names of the delegates.

Parliament House

Parliament House

[General description] Members of the second Constitutional Convention seated in the House of Assembly. The delegates were elected by popular vote. [On back of photograph] 'Federal Convention / In session in the House of Assembly / Adelaide / March 26, 1897'. See B 12572 for a photograph with the names of the delegates.

H.M.S. Protector Officers

H.M.S. Protector Officers

[General description] Group portrait of the Officers of the 'H.M.S. Protector' taken on the deck of the ship in front of one of the guns. [On back of photograph] 'Officers of 'H.M.S. Protector' / September 14, 1897 / Names of Officers (from left to right; Messrs. White, Argent, Vice-Admiral William Clarkson , Creswell, Weir, Lt. Smith, R.N.R.' (Another hand) 'Names of Officers should probably read; Messrs. White, Argent, Clarkson, Captain William Creswell (later Rear-Admiral), Weir, Lt. Smith R.N.R., R.D.O. 14 September 1978)'.

H.M.S. Protector Gun Crew

H.M.S. Protector Gun Crew

[General description] The Field gun crew pose in front of a gun which is mostly obscured. The Chief Gunner, Edwin Argent (who appears in the group portrait B 7565) stands in the middle. [On back of photograph] 'Field gun crew of 'H.M.S. Protector' / June 12, 1897' (Another hand) 'According to Mr. F.R.Adlam, the gun is a Gatling gun, not a field gun / Note the size of the gun's frame, the barrel and the crank held by a man on the left of the photograph / R.D.T. 11th August 1978'.

Old Exhibition Grounds

Old Exhibition Grounds

[General description] Mounted members of the Bushmans Corps, all sporting the slouch hat. Officers (Including the Trumpeter 3rd from left) are at the front, the men in the ranks are all holding rifles. Their tents can be seen in the background. [On back of photograph] 'Bushmens Corps / On the old Exhibition grounds near Frome Road / Prior to their departure for the South African War / February 28th 1900'.

King William Street near Rundle Street

King William Street near Rundle Street

King William Street looking south from Rundle Street. On the right stands Tucker and Murphy watchmakers on the corner of Gilbert Place. The Bank of Australasia stands on the corner of Currie Street and King William Street. The Post Office Tower can be seen in the distance. There is much activity among the horse and carts, carriages and horse drawn buses and pedestrians.

Fisher Place from Gawler Place near North Terrace

Fisher Place from Gawler Place near North Terrace

Looking east along Fisher Place from Gawler Place, 13 September 1904. Near side of the Wills premises is 38 1/2 yards east of Gawler Place. Fisher Place is near North Terrace. The red brick three storey Wills Building has bricked in windows and appears to be a warehouse.

Grenfell Street near Commerical Place

Grenfell Street near Commerical Place

Grenfell Street, south side, March 9th 1904, left side of Cavendish Chambers is 18.5 yards west of Commercial Place and frontage is 10 yards. For a view of this building taken in 1953 see B 12680. Cavenish Chambers houses RC Dunn and Company the Mercantile Agency, Cholmondeley Bosanquet Wine Vendors and George Wills and Company. An advertising board stands near the doorway selling passages to London on the New Zealand ship 'Turakina'.

Gawler Place near North Terrace

Gawler Place near North Terrace

Gawler Place, west side, 29th March 1904.Near side of Standard Shoe Co. is 20 1/2 yards south of North Terrace. Far side of Matthew Goode's is 66 yards south of North Terrace. Near the corner stands the three storey red brick building housing Joseph Florey's warehouse for the Standard Shoe and Leather Company. Next to this stands Matthew Goode and Company softgoods wholesaler.

Gawler Place near North Terrace

Gawler Place near North Terrace

Gawler Place, west side, 30th April 1909. Far side of the Standard Shoe Co, is 20 1/2 yards south of North Terrace; its frontage is 9 1/2 yards. Part of the building housing Matthew Goode and Company can be seen next to Joseph Florey's Standard Shoe and Leather Company.

Currie Street near King William Street

Currie Street near King William Street

Currie Street, south side, left side of bank is 70 yards west of King William Street, and frontage is 25 yards. The building depicted in the photograph is the Savings Bank. It is an ornate building with frontal columns and carvings on the roof. The high quality imposing building was officially opened on 28th April 1904 at a cost of 27,587 pounds.

Stephens Place near North Terrace

Stephens Place near North Terrace

Stephens Place, east side, 29th March 1904. Near side of gateway on the extreme right is 67 yards south of North Terrace. Two three storey buildings are shown. One nearest to North Terrace houses Matthew Goode and Company Limited and the other houses Robert Reid and Company's Warehouse.

East Terrace, East End Market

East Terrace, East End Market

East End Market, East Terrace, left side of market is 33.5 yards north of Grenfell Street and frontage is 56.5 yards. Looking across from the east parkland The Adelaide Fruit and Produce Exchange can be seen as a hive of activity. Horses, carts and wagons litter East Terrace. The two storey market building is richly decorated with carved bowls of fruit on pedestals. Three large archway entrances to the market can be seen.