Photographs of South Australian subjects [PRG 631/2] • Manuscript

Convent of Mercy, Angas Street

Convent of Mercy, Angas Street

Angas Street, north side, 1903, the extreme left is 130 yards west of Chancery Lane and the extreme right is 43 yards west of Chancery Lane. The photograph shows horse drawn vehicles in front of the Convent of Mercy in Angas Street during a wedding.

Wakefield Street, Adelaide

Wakefield Street, Adelaide

A photographer photographing a scene in Wakefield Street, Adelaide, during the Duke of Cornwall and York's visit. The Chronicle newspaper of 13 July 1901, page 16, reported "The Metropolitan Fire Brigade had constructed a fireman's arch across Wakefield Street in front of the head station. Two fire escapes, with ladders extended to full length, towered to the height of 60 ft., and afforded a splendid opportunity for a display of bunting. Two steamers, with their brass work well burnished, enhanced the imposing character of the display. From the ladders was flying a naval welcome to the Duke of Cornwall. …" The Fire Station is on the right. The extreme right of the photo is 18 yards west of Roper Street, and the left side of Simpson's is about 70 yards west of Hanson Street.

Gouger Street, Adelaide

Gouger Street, Adelaide

Gouger Street, Adelaide, looking west, showing the street decorated for the visit of the Duke of York. The near side of the Langham Hotel, on the right, is 4 yards west of Coglin Street.

East Terrace, Adelaide

East Terrace, Adelaide

East Terrace, looking south from a point about 30 yards north of Rundle Street, during the visit of the Duke of York. A decorative archway spans the street.

Rundle Street, Adelaide

Rundle Street, Adelaide

Rundle Street, Adelaide,looking west from a point about 15 yards east of Tavistock street, during the visit of the Duke of York. The crowd barricades are in place, bunting is hanging, and a decorative archway spans the street. The Austral Hotel is on the left.

Rundle Street, Adelaide

Rundle Street, Adelaide

Rundle Street, Adelaide, looking east from a point about 30 yards east of Pulteney Street, during the visit of the Duke of York. The crowd barricades are in place, bunting is hanging, and a decorative archway spans the street.

King William Street, Adelaide

King William Street, Adelaide

South corner of Currie Street and King William Street, Adelaide, featuring the Bank of Adelaide building.This view was taken in 1901 during the visit of the Duke of York, and flags and bunting can be seen hanging in the street. A hansom cab is in the right of frame.

Rundle Street, Adelaide

Rundle Street, Adelaide

Rundle Street, Adelaide, south side, east of arcade entrance. Troops [probably from other states] are getting an enthusiastic send-off on their way to South Africa [Boer] War. They are marching past the highly decorated Hunter's Boot Palace. The right side of Hunter's Boot Palace is 28 yards east of Charles Street.

Rundle Street, Adelaide

Rundle Street, Adelaide

Rundle Street, Adelaide, south side. An enthusiastic crowd, lining the street and balconies, is cheering a contingent of mounted troops who about to depart for South Africa [Boer War]. McRostie's is on the east corner of Twin Street, and the three storey building on the extreme left is 41 yards west of Pulteney street.

Rundle Street

Rundle Street

Rundle Street, south side. An enthusiastic crowd, lining the street and balconies, is cheering a contingent of troops who about to depart for South Africa [Boer War]. (They are probably from other states.) McRostie's is on the east corner of Twin Street, and the three storey building on the extreme left is 41 yards west of Pulteney street.

Rundle Street, Adelaide

Rundle Street, Adelaide

Rundle Street, Adelaide, south side, during the march of troops on their way to the South African (Boer) war. Buildings are decorated and crowds line the street and stand on the verandah roofs. The right side of Hunter's Boot Palace is 28 yards east of Charles Street. The Adelaide Arcade is on the right.

Rundle Street

Rundle Street

[General description] Crowd barriers and decorations in front of Donaldson's and Marshall's Department Stores in preparation for the visit of the Duke of York. Rundle Street surface looks muddy. [On back of photograph] 'Duke of York's visit / 1901 / Decorations / Rundle Street' during the visit of the Duke of York.

Rundle Street, Adelaide

Rundle Street, Adelaide

[General description] Looking west along a muddy Rundle Street. There are crowd barriers, an archway and decorations hung across the street. Three men ride horseback towards an appproching horse tram. [On back of photograph] 'Duke of York's visit, 1901 / Decorations / Rundle Street'.

Hindley Street decorations

Hindley Street decorations

Duke of York's visit, 1901. Decorations, Hindley Street.

East Terrace, Adelaide

East Terrace, Adelaide

[General description] East Terrace, decorated in preparation for the Duke of York's visit. Crowd barriers and seating have been erected on either side of the road. [On back of photograph] 'Duke of York's visit / Decorations / East Terrace'.

Grenfell Street, Adelaide

Grenfell Street, Adelaide

[General description] The newly completed Bible House, built as the headquarters for the British and Foreign Bible Society, was designed by architect Alfred Wells and is a fine example of the secular Gothic Revival style. It is built from red brick and features a corner oriel window with stained glass. It was sold in 1962 to A. Bertram Cox for use as an accountant's office and the name of the building was changed to Bertram House. It was heritage listed in 1984 [On back of photograph] 'Acre 144 / Grenfell Street, south side / May 26th 1898 / British and Foreign Bible Society's Bible House / The right side of Bible House abuts Coromandel Place / Grenfell Street frontage is 6.5 yards and Coromandel Place frontage is 19.5 yards'.

Adelaide, South Australia, from the Adelaide Hospital

Adelaide, South Australia, from the Adelaide Hospital

[General description] The hospital gardens are in the foreground of this view of Adelaide from the Adelaide Hospital looking south west across North Terrace toward Chalmers Church, later renamed Scots Church. The Adelaide Town Hall and Post Office clock towers are seen in the distance to the left and the Exhibition building is the domed building on the right. [On back of photograph] 'Looking south west from the eastern wing of the Adelaide Hospital / About 1900 / The two storey house on the left is on the east corner of Tavistock Street and North Terrace'.

Pulteney Street, Adelaide

Pulteney Street, Adelaide

[General description] This two storey corner building is the premises for both Craven and Armstrong, Importers and the Y.W.C.A. Craven & Armstrong have their goods displayed both in their display windows and on the footpath. [On back of photograph] 'Acre 38 / North east corner of Pulteney Street and Rundle Street / 1895'.

Pulteney Street, Adelaide

Pulteney Street, Adelaide

[General description] This bluestone building is the premises for P.J. Williams' Bicycle Depot with their 'Manufactory and Repair Workshop' on the far right. Some men pose with bicycles at the kerb. [On back of photograph] 'Acre 87 / North east corner of Pulteney Street and Hindmarsh Square / 1895' (Another hand) 'Corner building altered and partly demolished in 1935 (see B 6814)'.

Market Street, Adelaide

Market Street, Adelaide

[General description] This Church and Institute was designed in the Gothic style by Architects Messrs. Williams & Good and its builder was Mr. J. Dawe. There are arched windows, stonework tracery and stained glass in the church section, topped with a cupola. The building has a dual purpose: the upstairs is the chapel whilst the rooms downstairs are meeting rooms. It was opened on the 31st October, 1895. [On back of photograph] 'Acres 456 and 405 / Market Street, looking north from Wright Street / 1895 / Deaf and Dumb Institute is in centre foreground'.

Sir Henry Ayers

Sir Henry Ayers

[General description] Photograph of a bust of Sir Henry Ayers. Sir Henry became a prominent South Australian financier with lucrative mining interests at Burra Burra, later legislator and Premier of South Australia from 15th July 1863 - 4th August 1864. Knighted C.M.G, K.C.M.G and G.C.M.G. [On back of photograph] 'Bust of Sir Henry Ayers / Described by members of Sir Henry's family as a very poor likeness, the expression being quite at variance with his customary geniality'.

Pirie Street, Adelaide

Pirie Street, Adelaide

[General description] Maisonette style single storey cottage, divided into two dwellings with a corrugated iron roof and wooden picket fence. A sign is hung from the verandah: 'C.W. James Bootmaker Repairs Done'. The property is in a dilapidated state. [On back of photograph] 'Acre 215 / Pirie Street, south side / 1905-16 / Left side of cottages is 78 yards east of south east corner of Pirie Street and Ackland Street / Right side of cottages is 67 yards / *Probably 1909 / See B 7787/28'.

Mrs Gleiber's Boarding House, North Terrace

Mrs Gleiber's Boarding House, North Terrace

Mrs Gleiber's New Zealand Boarding House operated at numbers 59, 61 and 62 North Terrace West from 1906 to 1914. Number 60, where a clothes line hangs on the balcony, was occupied by Mrs Parson's Boarding House at the time of the photograph. Residents of this two storey terrace pose for the camera in front of its doorways. A sign near one of the doors advertises 'First Class Hot Dinners'. [On back of photograph] ' Acre 10 / North Terrace West / 1909-12 / Right side of houses is 121 yards east of Morphett Street / Frontage of houses is 20 yards / *Probably 1909 / See B 7787/3.