Photographs of South Australian subjects [PRG 631/2] • Manuscript

King William Street

King William Street

King William Street looking south towards Victoria Square during the visit of the Duke of York, 1901. The Royal visit occured between 9th and 15th July 1901. The Governor at the time was Tennyson and the Mayor of Adelaide was AW Ware. Adresses were given at the Town Hall to welcome the Royal couple to Adelaide after their arrival at Port Adelaide, Adelaide Railway Station en route to Government House. To mark their arrival 1,200 homing pigeons were released from Victoria Square to convey the good news to many parts of the State. The photograph shows crowds lining Victoria Square and the various military personnel including Mounted Rifles, Machine Gun Corps., Field Artillery, Naval Brigade, Garrison Artillery, 1st and 2nd Battalion Infantry, Cadets and Defence Rifle Clubs. The parade is turning from Victoria Square into Wakefield Street at the highly decorated statue of Queen Victoria.

Gilles Plains

Gilles Plains

Freebairn's Chaff Mills (formerly Sudholz's) Gilles Plains unloading supplies from horsedrawn wagons. The building was situated on the North East Road about midway between Fosters Road and Black Road. In the photograph open countryside surrounds the mill.

King William Street, eastern side between Grenfell Street and North Terrace

King William Street, eastern side between Grenfell Street and North Terrace

King William Street, eastern side between Grenfell Street and North Terrace. Pedestrians are making use of the shaded verandahs. A few horses and carriages, horse drawn buses and a lady on a bicyle are using the road.The Imperial Hotel stands on the corner of Grenfell Street and King William Street at number 80, the proprietor being J Lord.

King William Street, north of Hindley Street

King William Street, north of Hindley Street

King William Street, east side, looking north from Hindley Street with a busy Rundle Street on the right. The attractive building on Bee Hive corner has numerous turrets topped with crosses. A wide verandah offers shade to pedestrians in King William Street. L Cook Elite Cafe stands near the corner of the building in Rundle Street. An ornate lamp post supporting electricity wires stands in the middle of the intersection.

King William Street near Currie Street

King William Street near Currie Street

King William Street, west side. 15 February 1898. Right side of low two storey building is 24 1/2 yards south of Currie Street. Frontage of this building is 23 yards. The building (numbers 69 and 89) houses the businesses of Arthur Chapman and Company accountants and land agents, T Padman Sharebroker, ES Hughes Auctioneers, H Anders artistic hairdresser late of Pirie Street, J Todd Read Agent and Sharebroker, W Boyle house, land and estate agents. South of this building stands Colonial Mutual (Fire Marine Fidelity Guarantee, Plate Glass Accident, Employers Liability Insurance).

Hindmarsh Square, west side

Hindmarsh Square, west side

Hindmarsh Square, west side, November 1st 1901, right side of the Y.W.C.A. is 30 yards south of Grenfell Street and frontage is 13 yards. The Young Woman's Christian Association is housed in an attractive two storey red brick building decorated with a small tower on one corner. Stone plaques either side of the front steps state 'Lady Colton Memorial' and 'YWCA This stone was laid by Miss Colton July 12th 1900'. The building has numerous stone carvings including coats of arm.

Grenfell Street East End Market

Grenfell Street East End Market

East End Market, Grenfell Street, north side, near side of market is 44 yards west of East Terrace. At the time of this photograph the market extended west only as far as 57 1/2 yards east of Union Street. Trader's names visible include R Briant potato merchant, The New Market Tailoring Emporium, J Timmins Cold Meat Store, Sandow Gray and Company Fruit Growers and Exporters, H Spencer and a cycle store. Many horses and carts are loading and unloading goods outside the East end Market.

Currie Street near Bloor Court

Currie Street near Bloor Court

Currie Street looking east from Rosina Street, 1902-1903. Extreme right is 29 yards west of Bloor Court. On the extreme left is Burnett Street. Companies on the southern side of Currie Street include Charles Atkins and Company Limited, AE and F Tolley and Thomas Hardy bonded warehouse. On the northern side of Currie Street stands Unbehaun and Johnstone. Several horses, carriages and carts can be seen.

Currie Street near Leigh Street

Currie Street near Leigh Street

Currie Street, north side, looking east from Leigh Street, On the left is Leigh street and Royal Chambers is on the west corner of Peel Street. Bickford's Buildings are next to Royal Chambers. The street is busy with horse drawn carriages and carts, and pedestrians.

Grote Street corner of Byron Place

Grote Street corner of Byron Place

Grote Street, north side, west of Brown Street, property of Mr Symond Clark, 9 May 1898. On number 6 and 6a stands Blacksmiths Rushton and Nicholson, late with J Lee of Gouger Street. Shoeing and General Smiths. Horses carefully shod. On the other side of Byron Place between numbers 1,2,3,4 and 5 stands a row of cottages within a picket fence.

Grote Street near Oakley Place

Grote Street near Oakley Place

Grote Street, north side, west of Brown Street, property of Mr Symonds Clark, 9 May 1898, showing Oakley Place in the centre. Frontage of cottage on east corner of Oakley Place: 29 yards, their far side is 72 yards west of Morphett Street. Cottages on right side form site of Gerrard Wire Tying Machines Co. in 1956. For view of Gerrard's premises erected in 1945 see B 13605. At number 12 stands Wiese and Curtis Coach Builders. Numbers 13, 14, 15 are cottages. Number 15 has a large Norfolk Island Pine in the front garden.

Methodist Ladies College, Wayville

Methodist Ladies College, Wayville

Methodist Ladies College, Park Terrace, Wayville. The College was founded in 1902 and moved to the present site on Greenhill Road, formerly the site of the Way College for Boys. This photograph taken on 29 December 1903 shows a well established two storey building covered in creepers and climbing vines.

Adelaide Oval cricket

Adelaide Oval cricket

The Adelaide Oval, during a cricket match: England versus South Australia, 30th October, 1897. The visiting English side was captained by AE Stoddart and Lyons captained the South Australian side. Ernest Jones for SA was no-balled in the match. The photograph shows the crowds, some sitting under sun umbrellas and the grandstands which dominate in the Oval.

Adelaide Bowling Club

Adelaide Bowling Club

Adelaide Bowling Club, Victoria Drive. The north green and kiosk. The south green and new Pavilion opened in 1909 was built at the northern end of the Adelaide Bowling Club on Victoria Drive. The Pavilion can seat 50 people and was financed by the generous donations of the members. The Adelaide Bowling Club was founded in 1897. The north green and kiosk shown in this photograph abut Victoria Drive.

Adelaide Bowling Club

Adelaide Bowling Club

Adelaide Bowling Club, Victoria Drive. The north green and kiosk. The south green and new Pavilion opened in 1909 was built at the northern end of the Adelaide Bowling Club on Victoria Drive. The Pavilion can seat 50 people and was financed by the generous donations of the members. The Adelaide Bowling Club was founded in 1897. The north green and kiosk shown in this photograph abut Victoria Drive.

Adelaide Panorama

Adelaide Panorama

Adelaide panorama, looking south east, Wakefield Street, 26th April 1899. This photograph taken from the Fire Brigade Lookout shows a sweeping view of the houses in the south eastern corner of Adelaide and the empty land beyond the parklands towards to Adelaide Hills. In the foreground stand many factory roofs and chimneys.

Chateau Tanunda

Chateau Tanunda

Chateau Tanunda, built of locally quarried bluestone from Bethany was designed to resemble Baviarian households of the 1850s to 1870s. It was built in 1890 and has some of the oldest vines in the Barossa Valley growing nearby.

Exhibition Building

Exhibition Building

[General description] This view looks along the centre aisle to the stage. This large airy space has decorative iron lace balconies and window panels, with murals adorning the ceiling, from which electric pendant lights hang. Flags and bunting have been added for the occasion. [On back of photograph] 'Interior of the Exhibition Building (North Terrace) / Decorated for the Chamber of Manufactures Century Exhibition / 1900'.

King William Street near Currie Street

King William Street near Currie Street

King William Street, west side 1901. Right side of National Mutual Building is 24 1/2 yards south of Currie Street. Frontage : 23 yards. This three storey building houses National Mutual. There are columns on the first floor balcony and the top of the building is decorated with stone finials and flag poles. Several horse drawn carriages stand outside.

Wakefield Street south side near Pulteney Street

Wakefield Street south side near Pulteney Street

Wakefield Street, south side, 26 April 1899, left of building is 71 yards west of Hanson Street, near Pulteney Street and frontage is 47 yards. A Simpson and Son makers of iron and galvanised products including wire, bedsteads, ranges, mattress makers, tinplate, sheet ironmakers, iron founders, and Japanners.

Flinders Street near Pulteney Street

Flinders Street near Pulteney Street

Flinders Street, north side, 27 June 1899, west corner of Naylor Street. The building on the corner of Naylor Street houses the business of The Globe Timber Mills Company, proprietors Simon Harvey and William Haslam. Teams of horses are waiting to carry loads of timber away in carts. A researcher has provided the following information: William Haslam was not an owner of Global Timber Mills in 1899 as William died very suddenly on 9 May 1898. William had been a co-owner with Simon Harvey from 1897 until his death about 12 months later. It seems that Simon Harvey continued for some time as sole owner.

Wakefield Street  near Hutt Street

Wakefield Street near Hutt Street

Wakefield Street, south side, 19 October 1898, showing the home of Sir Langdon Bonython. Far side of house is 92 yards east of Hutt Street. Frontage of house and garden: 43 yards. The single storey bluestone house has a large bay window at the front and numerous rooms with different shaped pitched roofs looking over the garden which is on the east of the house. The whole property is surrounded by a bluestone wall, wooden fence and hedges.

Oakley Place off Grote Street

Oakley Place off Grote Street

Oakley Place, west side, 9 May 1898. Lane on the left runs east and west and is 32 1/2 yards north off Grote Street. The bluestone building houses three cottages which are entered straight from the street. Oakley Place is between Morphett Street and West Terrace.

Grote Street looking west

Grote Street looking west

Grote Street, south side, looking west, May 1898, near side of the two storey house on the left is 26.5 yards west of Brown Street. The two storey house has a bay window, shutters, a wrought iron lace fenced balcony and stands next to the Grote Street Baker that offers 'dinners baked daily'. More brick buildings can be seen through the trees looking west along the southern side of Grote Street.

North Terrace, West, near Gresham Street

North Terrace, West, near Gresham Street

The South Australian Hotel on North Terrace West. March 1902 On the right is the road running south to the Theatre Royal. Left side of hotel is 17 yards west of Gresham Street. The South Australian Hotel is a three storey building with wide balconies on the first and second floor. These balconies have low walls. Multiple verandah posts appear along the street frontage. Several horses and carriages wait outside the Hotel. The iron railings of the fence outside Paliament House can be seen in the foreground.

Grenfell Street near Hyde Street

Grenfell Street near Hyde Street

Grenfell Street, south side, east corner of Hyde Street, September 26th 1896, frontage of Import Company is 11 yards. On this corner at Number 131 stands the building housing The Import Company of Australasia. Some of the imported products include Ceylon Teas (sole importers of the Wild Rose brand) Indian and China teas, groceries, patent medicines, colonial wines, imported spirits, ales and stouts and roasted coffee. The Company also stores furniture at current rates.

Gilbert Street near Norman Street

Gilbert Street near Norman Street

Gilbert Street, north side, 1900, Draper Memorial Church, frontage is 19.5 yards. This church stands on the east corner of Norman Street and has an interesting Gothic spire. It was designed for the Wesleyan Church in 1867 by James Cumming, architect. It was named after Reverend DJ Draper who drowned when the 'London' sank in 1866.

Wakefield Street near Frome Street

Wakefield Street near Frome Street

Christian Brothers College on Wakefield Street, north side, 1900, Wakefield Street frontage is 84 yards.

King William Street near Waymouth Street

King William Street near Waymouth Street

King William street, west side, right side of Norwich Union building is 37 yards south of Waymouth Street and frontage is 16 yards. This three storey ornate building houses The Norwich Union Fire Office, South Australian Insurance Company Limited, which was established in 1797. It also houses the Mutual Life and Citizens Assurance Company Limited. Bunting is draped around the doorway to the building. The Criterion Hotel stands on the southern side and D Politis offers afternoon tea at Athenaeum, Matters and Company Auctioneers and Estate Managers stands on the northern side.

Currie Street near Leigh Street

Currie Street near Leigh Street

Currie Street, north side, corner of Kingston Street. Currie Street frontage of four storey building is 10 yards. This sandstone building houses Harrold Colton Company Saddlers and has a basement protected at street level by metal grills. The Duke of York Hotel is across Kingston Street on the opposite corner. The spires of Saint Peter's Cathedral can be seen in the background.