Photographs of South Australian subjects [PRG 631/2] • Manuscript

North Terrace near Charles Street

North Terrace near Charles Street

North Terrace looking east from a point a few yards west of Charles Street in 1901. Attractive residences line the terrace and the spire of Chalmers Free Church (later Scots Church) can be seen in the distance. The spire was added in 1856.

Exchange Place north of Pirie Street

Exchange Place north of Pirie Street

Exchange Place looking north. In the foreground, running off to the right is McHenry Street. The tall building in the centre is the Stock Exchange. Businesses south of the Stock Exchange building include Theo Bruce and Company auctioneers. At number 22 stands Ernest Benda the tobacconist. Next door stands George C Twiss shareboker. Several pedestrians are walking along Exchange Place, all are wearing hats. The Stock Exchange was designed by HE Fuller and Hedley A Dunn is built in the style of Federation and Edwardian buildings.

Grenfell Street looking east towards Hindmarsh Square

Grenfell Street looking east towards Hindmarsh Square

Grenfell Street, looking east from Chesser Street. The near side of Holden and Frost's is 9 1/2 yards east of Chesser Street. Frontage: 22 1/2 yards. The buildings along the north side of Grenfell Street include Henry Berry and Company Merchants which is situated in the Holden and Frost Building, A Brose, P Scrutzs and later the Ornate turret of the Adelaide Arcade. Opposite is the building housing Wilkins. Horses, carriages, carts and pedestrians are going about their business.

Grenfell Street, looking west near Chesser Street

Grenfell Street, looking west near Chesser Street

Grenfell Street, left side of Grasby's is 24 yards west of Chesser Street. Staerkner and Fischer is on the east corner of Gawler Place. Buildings seen include: JW Grasby and Company who are wholesale grocers, importers and merchants. Nearby stands A and WD Thomas who are bakers and grocers. The business was established in 1846. For a view of A & WD Thomas' site in 1957 see B 13897. At number 18 is the small doorway to W Lucas tailor and outfitter. Felstead and Company is the importers of British, American, continental merchandise. Guardian Fire and Life Insurance, Royal Exchange Assurance, Thames and Mersey Marine Insurance all share the four storey building next door. A shop selling pianos and organs follows and then Staerkner and Fischer stands on the corner of Gawler Place. The buildings can be seen continuing along the south side of Grenfell Street as it crosees King William Street into Currie Street. The intersection of Gawler Place and Grenfell Street is busy with pedestrians. A fire hydrant, hitching post, horses and carriages all make up this scene in Grenfell Street in 1901.

Currie Street, corner of King William Street

Currie Street, corner of King William Street

South corner of Currie and King William Streets, 1900. The central building in this photograph is the Bank of Adelaide built in 1880-1 to the design of Wright Reed and Beaver, architects. Further along King William Street heading south is British Dental, and at 103 is Taylor's Restaurant. A banner on a first floor balcony advertises John F Sheridan at the Theatre Royal. It is 11.30 and many pedestrians are going about their business including two nuns who are crossing Currie Street. Businesses in Currie Street include: Woodforde, offering land loans and real estate, R Mitchell and Company both of which reside in Alfred Chambers.

Currie Street near Topham Street

Currie Street near Topham Street

Currie Street, south side. Adelaide Steamship Company. On the right is Topham Street. Buildings next to The Adelaide Steamship Company Limited, going east include: A dancing school in Currie Chambers, WC Harrison and company resides at number 39, along with H Craves and Company. Next door stands the White Horse Hotel, C Martin proprietor. Elder Smith and Company Limited.

Rundle Street, east of Charles Street

Rundle Street, east of Charles Street

Rundle Street, north side, left side of centre building is 44 yards east of Charles Street and frontage is 9.5 yards. Building in the process of being erected by Milburn and Jeffreys. The architects are English and Soward. The triple fronted glass windows have been installed by Thompson and Harvey of Franklin Street. Selway glass, china and earthenware store is on one side of the new building and a tailor shop sits on the other side. The new building has three storeys with an ornate roof complete with urns either side.

Currie Street, near King William Street

Currie Street, near King William Street

Currie Street, south side, 7 October 1903. Left side of Adelaide Steamship Co. is 50 yards west of King William Street. Frontage : 20 yards. For alterations made in 1939-40, see B12331. This ornate four storey building has a basement and steps leading to the ground floor. A huge arch dominates the front of the building showing pillars and on the premises behind. The Adelaide Steamship Company Limited building has a carved bow of a ship and a globe balanced on the peak of the roof. Broken Hill Proprietary Limited (Adelaide Agency) stands on one side of the building.

Gawler Place, corner of Grenfell Street

Gawler Place, corner of Grenfell Street

South East corner of Gawler Place and Grenfell Street, July 1st 1902, Gawler Place frontage of Hill's is 20 yards and Grenfell Street frontage is 9.5 yards. At No. 63 the four storey brick building houses the businesses of James Hill and Sons merchant engineers and warehousemen (established in 1854) and Crossleys Oil and Gas Engine Depot. The building also houses Imperial Life Insurance. Kauffman Organs stands at the east of the building. At the side of the building in Gawler Place is the business of Lykke's paperhangers, painters and sign makers.

King William Street south of Pirie Street

King William Street south of Pirie Street

King William Street, west side, near side of Lorne Chambers is 37 yards south of Waymouth Street and Pirie Street. Buildings along the west side of King William Street include the Post Office on the corner of Franklin Street, a watchmaker and jeweller, Criterion Hotel, Esselbach's Cafe - Ladies Refreshment Rooms upstairs, and downstairs is fruiterer Alfred J Harvery. Lorne Chambers is above a stationer. The next building houses Triumph Cycle Agency and the auctioneers Matters and Company. There are horses and carriages lined up in the middle of King William Street outside the Town Hall awaiting passengers. People riding bicyles and pedestrians complete the scene.

King William Street, near Rundle Street

King William Street, near Rundle Street

King William Street, looking north from Rundle Street. Buildings on the western side of King William Street include Isaac Tobacconist, John Steel watchmaker and jeweller from Glasgow, at No. 35 is TJ Hannan fruiterer and florist, then Eskell and Tattersalls the dentists at No. 33. Next door is Moss's Loan Bank. On the eastern corner of King William Street and Rundle Street stands Seedsman the florist. In the middle of the street stands several horse drawn buses and carriages. A man cycles down the middle of King William Street on a three wheeler bicycle. It is interesting to note the fashions of the day.

Adelaide Oval Test Match

Adelaide Oval Test Match

The Adelaide Oval, during the Test Match on 20th January 1902. Joe Darling, player in 34 Test Matches was captain of the Australian side. Also playing was Armstrong who was making his Test debut in 1902 and was named Wisden Cricketer of the Year. The Test Match played in Adelaide in 1902 was won by Australia by 4 wickets. The photograph shows the sloping sides of the Oval and people sitting on the grass under the score board.

Hindley Street, near Gresham Street

Hindley Street, near Gresham Street

Hindley Street, north side, 27 November 1902. J Miller Anderson and Company has two shop front windows in the building which also houses dentist's rooms. The building is being altered and a sign warns the public to be careful. A statue of a sheep is hanging from a balcony over the entrance to Miller Anderson and Company. Posters on the front of the building are advertising The Theatre Royal production of 'Widow Japan' starring Maggie Moore. Electrical lighting and power is being installed by Todd and Samuel from the Electrical Department Adelaide.

Gawler Place south of Flinders Street

Gawler Place south of Flinders Street

Gawler Place, east side, July 1902, showing Joseph Florey's Standard Shoe and Leather Company premises. Left side is 37 yards south of Flinders Street. Frontage: 26 yards. At No. 98 Gawler Place stands the Standard Shoe and Leather Company, Joseph Florey proprietor. The business imports British and American goods and are manufacturers of the celebrated Chromella boots and shoes.

King William Street, near Waymouth street

King William Street, near Waymouth street

King William Street, west side, near side of Norwich Union Building is 37 yards south of Waymouth Street and frontage is 16.5 yards. The three storey building houses the Norwich Union Fire Office, Citizens Life Assurance Company Limited, Calders Agency Hotel Brokers, a firm of electrical and consulting engineers. Next door is Matters and Company, and then stands D Politis and Company, Fish and Oyster Saloon and Restaurant.

Grenfell Street, west of Commerical Place

Grenfell Street, west of Commerical Place

Grenfell Street, south side, left side of Victoria building is 28.5 yards west of Commercial Place and frontage is 10 yards. The Victoria Buildings house The Great Boulder Proprietary Gold Mines Limited. The Imperial German Consulate is located on the ground floor along with Nord Deutscher Lloyd (NDL) H Muecke and Company. A statue of two women adorn the flag pole on the roof above the sign 'Fidem Teneo' (keeper of the faith).

Blyth Street near North Terrace

Blyth Street near North Terrace

Blyth Street, east side, 2 October 1899 between Hindley Street and North Terrace. This building houses the business of Norman and Company importers of high grade fertilisers, harvest machines and grain and manure drills. A variety of ploughs are displayed on the footpath. Three men in straw hats are talking in the doorway of the premises.

Bank Street, West Side

Bank Street, West Side

Bank Street, west side 2 October 1899. Extreme left is 561/2 yards south of North Terrace. Extreme right is 41 yards south of North Terrace. The business shown in this building is Norman and Company Machinery Merchants who sell mowers, cream separators, cultivators and fertilisers. A sign on the post outside the store says R Ward.

Rundle Street near East Terrace

Rundle Street near East Terrace

Rundle Street, north side, September 19th 1900, right side of Sacks is 59.5 yards west of East Terrace and frontage is 11 yards. This depicts the business of F Sack tailor, clothier and hatter. Several storemen and customers are admiring the material in day light outside the shop. Ties, bow ties and boaters can be seen in the window. Only the architecture and the fashions have changed in this photograph of the rag trade taken in Rundle Street East in 1900.

Stephens Place near North Terrace

Stephens Place near North Terrace

Stephens Place, east side, between North Terrace and Rundle Street. The three storey premises of Crooks and Brooker can be seen on the corner. They sell Wood's Harvesting Machinery, galvanised iron, fencing, wire, cement, paints, oils and varnishes. Several pedestrians are passing the shop and the women look elegant in the fashions of the day.

Hindley Street near Gresham Street

Hindley Street near Gresham Street

Hindley Street, north side, showing the premises of Miller Anderson, March 11, 1903. Extreme left is 50 1/2 yards west of Gresham Street. J Miller Anderson and Company have six shop front windows full of stock such as hats, sailors suits, collars, ties, shirts, canes, umbrellas, fabrics and autumn novelties.

Flinders Street Presbyterian Church

Flinders Street Presbyterian Church

Flinders Street, north side, 21 February 1903. Presbyterian Church on the north side of Flinders Street. Right side of church is 37 yards west of Wyatt Street. Frontage of church is 17 yards. House on the left was demolished in 1914. The imposing church and spire dwarfs the surrounding buildings.

Grenfell Street, west of Commercial Place

Grenfell Street, west of Commercial Place

Grenfell Street, south side, May 1st 1903, left side of Victoria Buildings is 28.5 yards west of Commercial Place and frontage is 10 yards. The Victoria Buildings house H Muecke and Company, NDL (Nord Deutscher Lloyd), C Fox Ward wholesale druggists. Next door stands George Wills and Company.

Grote Street

Grote Street

Grote Street, north side, looking east from Brown Street, 24 January 1902, showing the laying of the eastern extension telegraph cable. Extreme left is about 28 yards east of Morphett Street. See also PRG 631/2/42.

Grote Street, near Morphett Street

Grote Street, near Morphett Street

Grote Street, north side, looking east from Brown Street, 29 January 1902, showing the laying of the eastern extension telegraph cable. Extreme left is about 28 yards east of Morphett Street. Healey's Hampshire Hotel is on the west corner of Bowen Street. Dozens of men can be seen holding the cable ready to place it in the prepared trench. Several onlookers, mainly children are watching the progress.

Currie Street corner of Peel Street

Currie Street corner of Peel Street

Currie Street, north side, January 12th 1899, frontage of Unity Chambers is 13 yards, frontage of Davenport Chambers is 27.5 yards and frontage of building next door is 8 yards. Some of the firms that are housed in Davenport Chambers include D Glyde and Son, Spring Vale Wines, RB Lucas and Son Manufacturing Agents, Indentors and Commission Merchants, CM Adams and Company Importers, JN Taylor and Company, Wilberth Accountants, F Key Accountant and Agent, and Edward Laughton & Co. Stock and Station Agents, who also handled the sale of hides and sheepskins etc.

Pirie Street near Gawler Place

Pirie Street near Gawler Place

Pirie Street, south side. A. Simpson & Son building, far side is about 81 yards west of Gawler Place. This warehouse and factory is situated on a deep block. The Town Hall clock tower can be seen peeping over the nearby roofs.

Gawler Place corner of Grenfell Street

Gawler Place corner of Grenfell Street

Gawler Place, north east corner of Grenfell Street, 1899. Gawler Place frontage: 47 yards; Grenfell Street frontage: 18 1/2 yards. This building was unchanged until 1935, except for the fact that shop fronts were installed in the Gawler Street frontage in the portion of the building which is to the left of the cart. The photograph shows alterations effected in 1935. See B 6763. The building houses A Simpson and Son, colonial tinware manufactory and iron and tinplate workers. The two storey building holds a commanding position on the corner of Gawleer Place and Grenfell Street.

Gawler Place,  near Pirie Street

Gawler Place, near Pirie Street

Gawler Place, west side near Pirie Street. The building was formerly used as a Congregational Chapel. The stone building faces east and stands back about 16 yards from the street alignment. The southern wall is about 5 yards north of the southern boundary of the acre. The photograph depicts the business premises of A Simpson and Son. A sack is being lowered from a barn next door and a horse and cart is being loaded with boxes. A bearded gentleman in a bowler hat is coming out the the warehouse.

King William Street parade

King William Street parade

Visit of the Duke of York, 1901. King William Street, looking north from the General Post Office. The Royal visit occured between 9th and 15th July 1901. The Governor at the time was Tennyson and the Mayor of Adelaide was AW Ware. Adresses were given at the Town Hall to welcome the Royal couple to Adelaide after their arrival at Port Adelaide, Adelaide Railway Station en route to Government House. To mark their arrival 1,200 homing pigeons were released from Victoria Square to convey the good news to many parts of the State. The photograph shows crowds outside the Town Hall and the various military personnel including Mounted Rifles, Machine Gun Corps., Field Artillery, Naval Brigade, Garrison Artillery, 1st and 2nd Battalion Infantry, Cadets and Defence Rifle Clubs.