Find • kadina • Results 1 to 30 of 361

Buick cars at Kadina

Buick cars at Kadina

KADINA: Five Buick cars stand outside D.W. Simpson's garage. They were owned by: Number 11245 F.W. Harris of Kadina; number 02020 S.J. Northey, of Kadina; number 41879 registered in 1925 to L.C. Beare of Kadina; number 7184 Eyes & Crowle (Agents); number 01239 W.J. Butler of Moonta Mines. See also SRG 168/1/58/17.

Schoolchildren, Kadina

Schoolchildren, Kadina

KADINA: Group photograph of boy members of the Kadina Primary School Band; the boys are in bandsmen's uniform of jackets with 'frog' fastening and peaked caps, the drum major is wearing a military dress type jacket and a plumed helmet. The band's drums are in the foreground and there is a central figure of a young man who could be the director.

Church, Kadina

Church, Kadina

[General description] The Congregational Church at Kadina. It is a stone building, partially obscured by trees. The minister at this time is the Rev. R.J. Rose. [On back of photograph] 'Kadina / Congregational Church / Taylor Street / 1932' (Another hand) 'Mr. Pryor is unable to give a date of erection for this church / For details of an earlier church see the Observer, October 19, 1861, 2e, A Congregational Church was opened at Kadina January 1, 1862 (Mr. O. Pryor) Reproduced in the Chronicle for August 18, 1932'.

Kadina

Kadina

Graves Street looking west, Exchange Hotel on the right and Ideal Picture Theatre on left. Kadina was founded to provide homes for miners at the nearby Wallaroo Copper Mine. The mines attracted many miners from Cornwall. The buildings in Kadina are colonial and federation style. The name Kadina was derived from the Narungga word Kadiyinya meaning Lizard Plain. The Ideal Picture Theatre was in operation from 1921. The (Royal) Exchange Hotel was in existence from 1861 and at the time of the photograph the proprietor was Gordon Hillier Jacob.

Kadina Cricket Club

Kadina Cricket Club

Kadina Cricket Club members at the Showgrounds.

The Kadina Butter Factory

The Kadina Butter Factory

The Kadina Butter Factory.

Kadina Bicycle Club Members

Kadina Bicycle Club Members

Kadina Bicycle Club Members.

Hotel, Kadina

Hotel, Kadina

Miner's Arms Hotel, Kadina was also named Central Hote and Kadina Hotel. It existed from 1865. At the time of this photograph the proprietor was James Hall. The hotel also offered good stabling. A flag is flying proudly outside the hotel. It appears to be the Red Ensign from 1801 which is unusual to see in an inland town.

Kadina

Kadina

[General description] Kadina's new post office is a two storey symmetrical building situated on a corner block. There is a crenulated corner portico upstairs connecting twin gables. Contractor was Mr. W. Farrant. [On back of photograph] 'Kadina / 1907-11 / Post Office on right / Post Office erected in 1906 / On the left is the former Post Office building, built in 1864 (vide Mr. O. Pryor) / For site of first Post Office see 'Kadina Jubilee Celebrations' Pamphlet (Arch P.R.S.) 1922'

Kadina Fire Station

Kadina Fire Station

Kadina Fire Station and engine - l-r: J. Whitbread, F. Galliford, R. Parnell, L.W. Robertson.

Town Hall, Kadina

Town Hall, Kadina

Construction of a second storey to Kadina Town Hall.

Kadina Confectionary Works

Kadina Confectionary Works

The Kadina Confectionary Works - Proprietor Mr. W.W. Millican.

The Kadina Show

The Kadina Show

The Kadina Show - Horse and wagon exhibit.

Carnival Procession, Kadina

Carnival Procession, Kadina

Carnival Procession in Taylor St., Kadina.

Carnival Procession, Kadina

Carnival Procession, Kadina

Carnival Procession in Taylor St., Kadina Wombat Hotel at left.

Kadina Butcher

Kadina Butcher

Kadina Butcher in his horsedrawn delivery cart.

Union Bank, Kadina

Union Bank, Kadina

KADINA: Union Bank at Kadina; next to it is a small building which was the Bank of South Australia, the first bank to be built in Kadina in 1861.

Kadina Township

Kadina Township

Lithographic print of a panorama of the main street of Kadina. At extreme left is Robert Hall's store. The large building (centre) is Henry Nankervis's Kadina Hotel (the chimney indicates the location of his distillery). Further to the right is the Wombat Hotel (dark roof), and at extreme right is the two-storey White Lion Hotel. The railway line to Wallaroo is situated where the cart (foreground) is running.

Construction of the Catholic Church at Kadina

Construction of the Catholic Church at Kadina

KADINA: Workmen outside the partially constructed Roman Catholic Church at Kadina.

Horseracing, Kadina

Horseracing, Kadina

Kadina Race Course - Grandstand and crowds watching a horserace. The twin grandstands are full and race callers and reporters fill up the third stand.

Railway Station, Kadina

Railway Station, Kadina

[General description]The Kadina Railway Station was built in 1878 of local stone with a corrugated iron roof which has a double gable at the front with scalloped bargeboards and filials at the top. There is a wide verandah and picket fence. [On back of photograph] 'Kadina Railway Station / Frances Terrace / 1932 / Reproduced in Chronicle for August 18, 1932'.

Kadina

Kadina

[General description] Looking down the main street of Kadina with shops and commercial premises on either side. Charles Moore's store, which is having a sale, is on the right. [On back of photograph] 'Graves Street / Kadina / looking east /1932 / Reproduced in the Chronicle for August 18, 1932'.

Church, Kadina

Church, Kadina

[General description] This imposing church was built in 1910-11 from stone with decorative brick quoins. It replaced the original church which was built on this site in 1862. [On back of photograph] 'Kadina Church of England (Christ Church) / Corner of Taylor & Hay Streets / 1932 / Reproduced in the Chronicle for August 18, 1932'.

Kadina

Kadina

[General description] These public buildings exude confidence. The Town Hall and Council chamber, built from local limestone in the Classical style were constructed in stages between 1880-1883, starting as an Institute. The clock and tower was added in 1903, donated by Mr. DF Squibb, a Kadina blacksmith and wheelwright. The Savings Bank building was designed by architect Mr. J.F Jenkins of Port Pirie and opened in 1908. It is in the 'Federation Freestyle' style which embraces a mix of influences ie. Art Nouveau, Gothic, Tudor and Classical. [On back of photograph] 'KadinaTown Hall and Savings Bank / Taylor Street / 1932/ Savings Bank building opened 16 March 1908 (vide O. Pryor) / Reproduced in the Chronicle for August 18, 1932'.

Kadina

Kadina

[General description] Town buildings along Graves Street. The Ideal Theatre is on the left, next along is Venning's Service Station with petrol bowsers at the kerb. [On back of photograph] 'Graves Street, Kadina / 1932 / Reproduced in the Chronicle for August 18, 1932'.

Kadina

Kadina

[General description] Panoramic view from a high point showing Kadina town buildings and businesses, the main focus being along Taylor Street. The Savings Bank of South Australia is seen on the right. In the centre of the view is the Palace Billiard Hall. [On back of photograph] 'Taylor Street Kadina, looking west with the Wallaroo Mines in the background'.

Kadina Town Hall

Kadina Town Hall

[General description] The Heritage listed Kadina Town Hall, designed by John Gaskell was built in stages, the first storey completed in 1880. The second was added in 1898 along with the balcony and ornamental gable. The clock tower was constructed in 1903 to house a clock donated by businessman Daniel Squibb. The Council was struggling to find the revenue to pay for the tower so on its completion Mr. Squibb paid for it as well.

Wandilta Mine, Kadina

Wandilta Mine, Kadina

Surface installations, Wandilta mine, Kadina. "Wandilta Mine" was abandoned in 1870 because of exhaustion of ore bodies above water level, due to diamond drilling by the Mines Department in 1907 was re-opened by the Government and worked as a state enterprise until c.1912. A note on the baclk of the photograph says "Wandilta Mine, a mile or so east of Kadina, was discovered in the 1860's. Exhaustion of known ore bodies above water level led to the abandonment of the property which reverted to the State in 1870. "Geology of Moonta and Wallaroo" by R Lockhart Jack, 1917. As a result of diamond drilling by the Mines Department begun in 1907 the mine was re-opened by the Government and worked as a state enterprise until c.1912"

Kadina Salvation Army Band

Kadina Salvation Army Band

Kadina Salvation Army Band Members.

Kadina Tennis Club

Kadina Tennis Club

Members of the Kadina Tennis Club. Standing, left to right: Mr Wearne (Manager of Moores); Fred Harris; Bob Viale; Mr Hall; Harry Bond; Roy Bromley (later Headmaster in Kadina); Charlie Harris; Mr Hewett; Bob Gore; George Brooks (later Director of Education, Tasmania); Harry Tellam. Sitting, left to right: Mr Inglis; Miss Head; Miss Rendell; Miss Viale; Miss Hague; Ern Rosewarne; Charlie Phillips; Minnie Cadd; Miss Kemp (teacher); J. A. Coles. Sitting on floor: Fred Mitchell; Olive Cadd; Bert Truscott; Ern Eastwood.