Find • gawler place • Results 1 to 30 of 598

Gawler Place, Adelaide

Gawler Place, Adelaide

[General description] Looking south along Gawler Place towards Rundle Street. City buildings, parked cars, pedestrians and a wet road on a rainy day. [On back of photograph] 'Acre 19 / Gawler Place, west side / 24th August 1928 / Sites and measurements: If a ruler be placed on the photo two inches from the bottom and measurements to be taken from the left edge of the photo the undermentioned points will be situated as follows: 1.8 inches from the left = 67 yards south of North Terrace. 1.4 inches from the left = 33 1/2 yards south of North Terrace. 2.1 inches from the left = 20 1/2 yards south of North Terrace.'

Gawler Place, Adelaide

Gawler Place, Adelaide

[General description] Three quarters view of Claridge House taken from a high place on the opposite side of Gawler Place. See B 4839 for information re architect and builder. [On back of photograph] 'Gawler Place, east side / Claridge House / 1 May 1928 / Claridge House erected in 1926-7 / Compare with B 3319 / For other photographs of Claridge House see B 4839 and B 4712 / Site of Claridge House : Far side is 33 yards south of Rundle Street / Frontage : 20 1/2 yards'.

Gawler Place

Gawler Place

[General description] Two shopfronts have been installed in this two storey stone building in Gawler Place. They both have plate glass windows with tiles below and leadlight above, characteristic of the period. [On back of photograph] 'Acre 20 / Gawler Place, east side / April 29th,1928. / The two shop fronts were installed in 1926-27. See also B 4253. / The lane on the right is 33 yards south of North Terrace'.

Gawler Place, Adelaide

Gawler Place, Adelaide

[General description] City buildings, including the premises of the Aeolian Company, suppliers of Pianos and Pianolas, on Rundle Street. On the extreme right a man is riding his bicycle. [On back of photograph] 'Acre 81 / Gawler Place, west side / Feb. 28, 1926 / Looking towards Rundle Street. The six storey structure (Pharmacy Building) was erected in 1925. Compare with B 2244. Gawler Place frontage of new building: 27 1/2 yards.'

Gawler Place, Adelaide

Gawler Place, Adelaide

[General description] Looking north along Gawler Place towards the rear of the Oriental Hotel, which is situated on Rundle Street. Shops on the right are soon to be demolished and replaced by a new building named Claridge House. [On back of photograph] 'Acre 82 / Gawler Place, east side / Feb. 28,1926 / Shakespeare's premises and the two storey buildings next door north were demolished in 1926. For view of the building subsequently erected see B 4712, B 4839, B 4840. Near side of three storey building on left is 33 yards south of Rundle Street. Near side of Shakespeare's is 53 1/2 yards south of Rundle Street.' (Another hand) 'For better view of Oriental Hotel buildings see B 7483'.

Gawler Place, Adelaide

Gawler Place, Adelaide

[General description] Looking along Gawler place towards Rundle Street. The premises of Oliver J. Nilsen and Laubman & Pank are on the left, Electricity House (with the clock) is a little further along. [On back of photograph] 'Acres 105 and 82 / Gawler Place, east side / 8th April 1939 / Nilsen's building was completed in 1938 / Compare with B 4846 / The near side of Nilsen's building is 51 1/2 yards north of Grenfell Street; frontage: 7 yards'.

Gawler Place, Adelaide

Gawler Place, Adelaide

[General description] Astor Hotel at 95 Gawler Place, a two storey building with verandah and parked cars in front. From 1849 - 1913 it was known variously as the Young Queen Inn, Arms or Hotel. Renamed the Commercial in 1913, then the Astor from 1951 onwards. Licensees at time of photograph are Edgar WIlliam and Myra Eleanor Neil. [On back of photograph] 'Acre 143 / Gawler Place, west side / December 30th 1954 / Left side of Astor Hotel is 24 yards north of McHenry Street and frontage is 16.5 yards / Photographed for record only / Formerly the Commercial Hotel, Cadastral Plan shows it as the Young Queen'

Gawler Place, Adelaide

Gawler Place, Adelaide

Gawler Place, Adelaide, east side, close to Pirie Street, featuring cottages with mullion windows. The galvanised iron roofs show that the date is after 1870. (Compare with Duryea's 1870 panorama.) This view was taken before the erection of the Onslow buildings on the corner of Pirie Street and Gawler Place. See B 2478 for one of the buildings, soon after completion. (They first appear in the 1886 directory.) See B 3162 and B 3257 for views taken in the early 1900s.

Gawler Place, Adelaide

Gawler Place, Adelaide

[General description] The premises of G.W. Rose & Co. (General Merchants), in Gawler Place. A man on a ladder appears to be doing maintenance work on the barred window of the ground floor. On the left is I. Longbotham (Family Butchers). [On back of photograph] 'Acre 167 / Gawler Place / 1888- 89 / The three storey building stands on the north west corner of the acre.'

Gawler Place, Adelaide

Gawler Place, Adelaide

[General description] The premises of Dittmar's Cafe, a two storey stone building with a supported verandah, seen from the opposite side of the road. [On back of photograph] 'Acre 168 / Gawler Place, west side / south corner of McHenry Street / August 26th,1926 / Cantilever verandah erected in front of Dittmar's in 1926. Gawler Place frontage of Dittmar's: 10 yards.' (Another hand) 'For view of Dittmar's building after remodelling in 1952, see B 12357.'

Gawler Place, Adelaide

Gawler Place, Adelaide

[General description] View looking south along Gawler Place towards Flinders Street showing motor businesses and buildings, parked cars and a lone horse and buggy. The six storey Education building is prominent [On back of photograph] 'Acre 234 / Gawler Place, west side / 7 May 1937 / This photograph shows the alterations effected and the new building erected in 1936 between Flinders Street and the large brick building on the right / Of these the right hand portion with upper storey windows was erected on a site formerly occupied by a corrugated iron structure / The left hand portion was simply re-modelled from a concrete structure / Site: The far side abuts Flinders Street / Frontage of Motors Limited premises is 71 yards / Compare with B 6734'.

Detail of the Old Congregational Chapel, Gawler Place

Detail of the Old Congregational Chapel, Gawler Place

[General description] Detail of the south east corner of the Old Congregational Chapel in Gawler Place. See B 5882. [On back of photograph] 'Acre 205 / Gawler Place / Old Congregational Chapel / south eastern corner / 1923 / For exact site see B 1206'.

Gawler Place, Adelaide

Gawler Place, Adelaide

Gawler Place, Adelaide, west side, south corner of Featherstone Place, taken on 26th February, 1924. A lady in Twenties fashions is looking in the shop window of A.W. Dobbie & Co., Brass Workers and Electroplaters. On the left is a Tailor's premises. Near side of tall building on extreme left is 18 yards south of Featherstone Place. For a view of Dobbie's building after remodelling in 1949, see B12356.

Gawler Place, Adelaide

Gawler Place, Adelaide

[General Description] This Classic Renaissance style building has bay windows extending for 4 stories topped with a balcony and a cantilever awning over the footpath, one of the first of its kind in Adelaide. Architect was P.R Claridge, contractor M.C. Richardson of Medindie, the cost approximately 45,000.00 pounds. The bay windows section is best viewed from this lane opposite. [On back of photograph] 'Looking towards Gawler Place, east side, from the western end of Featherstone Place showing Claridge House / 29 April 1928 / Claridge House erected in 1926-7. (For other views see B 4712 and B 4840) / For other buildings previously on the site see B 3319 / Site of Claridge House: north side is 33 yards south of Rundle Street. / Frontage : 20 1/2 yards'.

Gawler Place, Adelaide

Gawler Place, Adelaide

[General description] A man stands at an open side door of the old Congregational Church. There are wooden crates and a barrel nearby. This photograph would have been taken at the time when A. Simpson & Sons intended to demolish the building to expand their premises. Designed by George Strickland Kingston, the building was completed in November 1840. After the Stow Memorial Congregational Church was built in 1867, it was no longer used as a place of worship but was put to varying uses. [On back of photograph] 'Acre 205 / Gawler Place / Old Congregational Chapel / eastern front / 1923 / For exact site see B 1206'.

Gawler Place, Adelaide

Gawler Place, Adelaide

[General description] Gawler Place, Adelaide, west side, 1865-1873, showing the premises of James A. Holden, wholesale saddler, P. Falk, wholesale jeweller, and W. F. Gray, tinsmith (?) A saddle is hung above the entrance of the saddlers', and the machine shop on the left has a sewing machine mounted above its door. W.F. Gray displays its wares in front of its store; buckets hanging in a row, and various sized tubs. The stone buildings in the centre have shingle roofs. J.A. Holden & Co. is the original firm later to become Holden and Frost, (see B 2989) and then General Motors Holden.

Gawler Place, Adelaide

Gawler Place, Adelaide

[General description] Designed by architect Philip R. Claridge, this handsome six storey building is of red brick with stucco facade. The curved central section features bow windows above a cantilevered verandah with portico. [On back of photograph] 'Acre 82 / Claridge House. / Gawler Place, east side. / 1928 / Claridge House erected in 1926-27. For view of premises formerly on this site see B 3319 / For other view of Claridge House see B 4839 and B 4840 / Site of Claridge House : Near side is 33 yards south of Rundle Street. Frontage : 20 1/2 Yards. / Reproduced in Chronicle July 7th, 1928'.

Gawler Place

Gawler Place

[General description] Harris Scarfe's four storey building has arched windows on its upper floors and a cantilever verandah over the footpath. The name 'Harris, Scarfe Limited' is painted on the side of the building in large letters. Next door on the left is the new Claridge Building. [On back of photograph] 'Acres 105 and 82 / Gawler Place, east side looking north from a point near Grenfell Street / 1928' (Another hand) 'Boundary between Harris Scarfe's and the Dolceola Co. is 47 yards north of Grenfell Street / Far side of Harris Scarfe's is 53 1/2 yards south of Rundle Street' (Another hand) 'In 1934 portion of Harris Scarfe's was demolished (Compare with B 6785). The portion demolished is covered by the arched windows 5,6, and 7 (counting from the left)' (Another hand) ' In 1938 the portion occupied by the arched windows 8 and 9 (counting from the left) was remodelled. Compare with B 8206'.

Gawler Place

Gawler Place

[General description] Two cyclists pedal past this four storey building which features a detailed stucco facade in the neo- classical style. On the left is Flehr and Company Tailors. [On back of photograph] 'Acres 106 & 81 / Gawler Place, west side / 1927 / D.& W. Murray's / Near side of Murray's is 49 yards north of Grenfell Street. / Frontage: 26 1/2 yards. / For a view of the building after remodelling in 1949 and renaming as "Churchill Building", see B12358 / Reprod. in "Chronicle", Dec 10, 1927.'

Gawler Place

Gawler Place

Old Congregational Chapel, Gawler Place. An article from the Advertiser, dated 6th February 1925, accompanies this photo. It deals with A.Simpson & Son's intention to demolish and replace it with an extension to their premises, and also gives a brief history of the church. The chapel stood on the southern portion of acre 205. It faced east and was about 16 yards back from the street frontage. The site is shown on the Cadastral Survey Plan.

Gawler Place, Adelaide

Gawler Place, Adelaide

Gawler Place, Adelaide, west side, from Pirie Street, taken on January 11th, 1924. On the right is Macrow's, and in the distance, is Simpson's five storey building. For a closer view of Simpson's, see B 1206. For a drawing of a building formerly on part of the Simpson's site, see B 1206. On the left is the verandah of Elliott's Cycle Shop.

Gawler Place, Adelaide

Gawler Place, Adelaide

[General description] Architectural detail of the old Congregational Chapel. See B 5882. [On back of photograph] 'Acre 205 / Gawler Place / Part of Old Congregational Chapel / 1923 / For site see B 1206'.

Gawler Place

Gawler Place

[General description] A pair of harnessed horses stand patiently near a pile of wooden crates and a barrel at the eastern door of the old Congregational Chapel. See B 5882. [On back of photograph] 'Acre 205 / Old Congregational Chapel / Gawler Place / eastern front / 1923 / For exact site see B 1206'.

Gawler Place

Gawler Place

[General description] Double doors in one of the doorways of the Old Congregational Chapel. See B 5882. [On back of photograph] 'Acre 205 / Gawler Place / Old Congregational Chapel / eastern front / The more northerly of the two doorways / 1923 / For exact site see B 1206'.

Gawler Place

Gawler Place

[General description] View of eastern front of the Old Congregational Chapel, taken from a distance, showing a workman with a wheelbarrow and piles of crates stacked against the building. It has clearly been absorbed into the industrial complex of A.Simpson & Son with signs painted on the building and displayed above it. See B 5882. [On back of photograph] 'Acre 205 / Gawler Place / Old Congregational Chapel / eastern front / 1923 / For exact site see B 1206'.

Gawler Place, Adelaide

Gawler Place, Adelaide

[General description] The premises of J.E. Dodd's Organ Manufacturer, established in 1881. Dodd's instruments were widely sought after in Australia and New Zealand. [On back of photograph] 'Acre 271 / Gawler Place, west side / Corner of Bray Street / 1906 / Right side of Dodd's is 36 yards south of Flinders Street. Frontage of Dodd's: 12 yards.' (Another hand) 'For alterations made in 1952, see B 12360.'

Gawler Place, Adelaide

Gawler Place, Adelaide

Gawler Place, Adelaide, east side, on the 22nd September, 1925, showing Vivian Lewis Limited Motor House. Early model cars are parked outside. The spire of St Andrew's Presbyterian Church can be seen in the centre. For a photo of this building (and the building erected in 1926 on the far side of Lewis' in 1952), see B 12361. The near side of Lewis' premises is 35 yards south of Flinders Street, and its frontage is 47 yards.

Gawler Place, Adelaide

Gawler Place, Adelaide

Gawler Place, Adelaide, west side, on April 8th, 1925, showing the newly completed premises of Webb & Son, Printers and Bookbinders. For a view of the house which formerly occupied this site, see B1844. The near side of Webb's is 47 yards north of Wakefield Street, and the far side of Metropolitan Building Co.'s premises is 26 yards north of Wakefield Street.

Development of Adelaide 1839-1914: series of lantern slides.

Development of Adelaide 1839-1914: series of lantern slides.

Series of 102 black and white lantern slides numbered 40-145, illustrating the development of Adelaide, 1839-1914. Some slides are of maps, lithographs and sketches made by nineteenth century artists and lithographers. The series juxtaposes views of Adelaide buildings and streets and key landmarks at several time periods, to show the changes and developments in Adelaide to 1914. The streets in focus in this series include King William Street, North Terrace, Stephen's Place, Rundle Street, Hindley Street, Pulteney Street, Grenfell Street, Pirie Street, Gouger Street, Gawler Place and Hindmarsh Square. The following slides are not held: 1-39, 63, 67, 81, 128.

Gawler Place

Gawler Place

[General description] Buildings on the south eastern corner of Gawler Place and Flinders Street. On the corner stands Fred C. Segar Furniture Showroom, and next door in Flinders Street stands Mitchell's Garage and Auto Repair Service. Stotts Business College is located in the four storeys high building owned by Crompton and Sons next door. On the eastern side of Gawler Place facing north stands Mitchell Auto Repairs Service and Vivian Lewis Motor Repairs. Two young school boys are crossing the street and a lady in a summer dress and wide brimmed hat is crossing Flinders Street. [On back of photograph] Acre 272. South east corner of Gawler Place and Flinders Street. January 25, 1926. . Mitchell's Garage and Segar's premises were demolished in 1926. Compare with B 5128. Segar's frontage: 12 1/2 yards. See duplicate copy herewith for a better print of the Gawler Place frontage.