Find • blinman • Results 151 to 180 of 215


An official party at Port Wakefield
An official party with Governor Le Hunte at Port Wakefield in February 1907; the group includes A. S. Neill; Captain Weir; R. M. Searcy; H. Blinman.


South Australian views
An album of South Australian views of Flinders Ranges, Kangaroo Island, Port Pirie, Port Augusta and one of Darwin. Photographers are not all known - although some are attributed elsewhere to Walter Howchin, and, according to a researcher, numbers 1-24 are by H.R. Perry. Many are duplicated elsewhere in the collection but these for the most part are better quality images. Captions are as they appear in the album.


Flinders Ranges
58 slides of South Australia taken by Brian Hartshorne, including Port Germein, Mount Remarkable, Pichi Richi Pass, Flinders Ranges, Warren Gorge, Mern Merna, Parachilna, Wilpena Pound, and Whyalla.


Angorichina Hostel
Angorichina Hostel, August 1932, showing new S.A. Bowlers' Rest Room, near the road. This is the first stone building to be erected and the stone was taken from the old Blinman Mine. Bricks for the pillars also came from the mine. Among the buildings is the Tuberculosis Hostel which was opened by the Governor Sir Tom Bridges. The hostel was situated on a plateau on the road between Parachilna and Blinman.


Album containing views of the Flinders Ranges and adjacent country areas
Collection of 24 views of the Flinders Ranges, Port Pirie, Port Augusta and adjacent country areas. See 'contents' for details of individual images.


Melrose brewery ruins
The ruins of the first brewery on lot 38A in old Melrose.


Angorichina Hostel
[General description] This prefabricated hostel building is timber with a corrugated iron roof. it is sited on an isolated spot near the Blinman to Parachilna road on land given to the Tubercular Soldiers' Aid Society by the owner of Angorichina Station. On 18 June 1927 the Governor, Sir Tom Bridges, opened this Hostel. Other buildings were added in later years. [On back of photograph] '1927 / Angorichina Hostel, Flinders Ranges / Established in 1927 by the Tubercular Soldiers' Aid Society / Opened on June 18 1927'.


Angorichina
Panorama of Tubercular Soldiers' Settlement at Angorichina. This haven for TB sufferers six miles east of Blinman in the Flinders Ranges, was set up to help returning soldiers from World War I. A message on the lawn says 'Welcome to Our Home of Happiness'.


Angorichina Hostel
Angorichina Hostel, Flinders Ranges August 1932, the hostel is a reporting station to the Commonwealth Meteorological Bureau. The instruments, including a sunshine recorder are in the foreground. The Lionel Hayward Ward is in the centre, the nurses' chalet is on the right, Barr Smith Workshop on the left. Among the buildings is the Tuberculosis Hostel which was opened by the Governor Sir Tom Bridges. The hostel was situated on a plateau on the road between Parachilna and Blinman.


Angorichina Creek
Pools below the waterfalls at Angorichina Creek in the heart of the Flinders Ranges. The three waterfalls are located south of Parachilna Pass and about 8 miles west from Blinman. The second fall has a drop of over 20ft. The pools are generally clear water pools except in times of drought.


Angorichina Creek
Pools below the waterfalls of Angorichina Creek known as the Big Falls near Blinman.


Artimore Station
The homestead and other buildings at Artimore Station located about 14 miles north east of Blinman. Artimore or Artimar sheep station was established in the early 1850's and was leased to John Baker, politician and pastoralist. Baker was the second Premier of South Australia. Henry McConville took over the lease afterwards. At its peak the station carried 40,000 sheep but due to the semi arid conditions, unreliable rainfall, rabbits and wild dogs the station was abandoned in 1903. The photograph shows several outbuildings. Groups of people are standing in doorways and in groups in the foreground.


Artimore Station
Farm workers with bales of wool in front of the Artimore Station woolshed.


Edeowie eating house
Old eating house on a bullock track to Blinman.


Flinders Ranges
Flinders Ranges: Remains of an early shanty on the Willochra Creek used years ago by copper wagons from Blinman.


Norwood Football Club
Formerly captioned as 'Members of the first team of the Norwood Football Club in 1878'. However according to author Mike Coward in 'Men of Norwood : red and blue blooded' published by the Norwood FC in 1992 "This is thought to be the first photograph of a Norwood football team but historians and archivists now agree that it is not a pictorial study of the first Norwood football team which won the premiership in 1878. "Topsy" Waldron and "Curly" Pollock, who are in the photograph, did not join the club until 1879, when it is likely this famous shot was taken." Back Row L-R: T. Letchford, T. Blinman, H. Thurgarland, A. Waldron, L. Kauffmann, F. Terrell, J.R. Osborn (Capt.), T.W. Green, A. Terrell, F. Letchford, J.E. Woods, E.T. Woods, F. Chapman, A.S. Young. Middle Row L-R: J. Coward, L. Suhard, G. Giffen, W. Dedman, H. Burnett. Front Row L-R: J. Lowe, J. Pollock, A.S. McMichael (Vice-Capt.), J. Traynor, W. Bracken, A.J. Diamond (Sec.).


Nuccaleena Mine
Nuccaleena Mine, opened up between 1850 and 1860. (See Austin, "Mines of South Australia", p. 67.) The note on the photo (taken on September 29th, 1920) said that the mine had been abandoned for "many years", and that the stone buildings, excepting for the roofs, were in good repair. W.D. Kerwick the explorer, Stuart's lieutenant, died at Nuccaleena on October 16th, 1872 and was buried at Blinman.


Parachilna Creek
Parachilna Creek rises as Blinman and Wockerawirra Creeks around Mount Emily and they flow for about 20 km westwards where they merge through the ABC and Heysen Ranges before eventually discharging into Commodore Swamp. The name Parachilna comes from the Aboriginal word patajilnda meaning place of peppermint gum trees


Wooltana Head Station
Wooltana Head Station is situated 103 kms north east of Blinman and 259 kms north west of Broken Hill. The sheep station was established on Adnyamathanha traditional lands by pioneer John McTaggart. The photograph shows the homestead, outbuildings, windmills, vegetables gardens and the plains stretching out in the background.


Ellen Jane Keynes
Ellen Jane Keynes, pioneer of Blinman.


Henry Strong Price
Henry Strong Price (1825-1889) was a pioneer sheep pastoralist best known as founder and proprietor of Wilpena Pound. "Harry" Price arrived in South Australia on board "Fortitude" in 1842. During his life he worked in the Mid North, Eyre Peninsula and Flinders Ranges. Price was able to buy Wilpena Station in 1861 and ran seventeen thousand sheep, later copper was mined at Blinman. In his later years he lived at Delamere at Mitcham.


Richard Ragless
Portrait of Richard Ragless. The19 year old arrived in South Australia June 1838 by the "Eden" and was a farmer at "Tonsley Park". He arrived in South Australia with his father John and seven brothers and three sisters. Richard, his father and brother John junior trialled one of the first South Australian manufactured strippers designed for reaping crops. In 1860 Richard and his wife Eliza established the Willochra Inn situated between Port Augusta and Blinman. Richard purchased Harry Watts' property at Tonsley in 1868 and over the years bought neighbouring properties yielding over 500 acres He planted over 2000 gums. The property was used for ploughing matches and picnics. Richard Ragless died at Tonsley in 1901


Robert Stuckey
Robert Stuckey, grocer, land agent and mining director. He was a successful shopkeeper in Rundle Street and lived at Montefiore Hill. He was a director of several mines including Moonta, Burra, Wallaroo. In a partnership with Mr Peter Prankerd and John Bentham Neales set up the sub-division of New Melrose. Also had a part share in Mannum Station and worked on Umberatana which was 90 miles north of Blinman and east of Lake Eyre. He left a will containing 80,000 pounds.


Norwood Cricket Club
Norwood Cricket Club, Premiers S.A. Cricketing Association, season 1896-7. Back row, left to right: Albert (Albie) Green; C. Bailey; A.E.H. (Arthur) Evans; Fred Colliver; G. Hutton (he was Henry George); John (or Jack) McKenzie; William O. Whitridge, S.A.C.A. delegate; H. (Harry) Blinman, Hon. Secretary. Front row: W. (Billy) Hewer; B.T.R. Bailey (registered at birth as Bertram Theodore but was generally known as BT Richard Bailey, known as 'Dick'); John (or Jack) Lyons, captain; Hon. Sir. E.T. Smith. K.C.M.G., patron; Charles W. Haywood; Hon. treasurer; Percy Stuart; Hubert (or Bert) G.W. Chinner; George Gurr, scorer.


South Australian Cricket Team
South Australian Cricket Team: 7, 9, 10, 11 November 1891 Played at Adelaide Oval. Back row, left to right: J. Noel; W.F. Giffen; H.L. Haldane. Middle row: I.A. Fisher (Umpire); H. Moore; J.J. Lyons; J. Reedman; C.W. Hayward. Front row: A.H. Jarvis; G. Giffen (Captain); F. Jarvis; H. Blinman.


South Australian Cricket Team
South Australian Cricket team: Played at Sydney 8, 9, 11 and 13 Nov 1892. Back row, left to right: J. Noel; A. Wilkinson; W.F. Giffen; H.L. Haldane; W. Slight (Umpire). Middle row: W.O. Whitridge (Manager); W.E. Delaney; J.J. Lyons; J. Reedman; C.W. Hayward. Front row: F. Jarvis; G. Giffen (Captain); A.H. Jarvis; H. Blinman.


Executive Council
Executive Council.


Rundle Street, Adelaide
A group of people, possibly the proprietor and staff, pose at the door of the Plough and Harrow Hotel, the licensee at this time being William Blinman. It is a two storey building with three doorways onto the street and an upstairs balcony. This upstairs section was added in the eighteen seventies (see B 4180). There has been a hotel on this site since 1839, the first being known as the Cornwall Inn. In 1844 it was rebuilt and renamed the Plough and Harrow, then in 1926 there was another rebuild and a new name proposed, the Hotel Arcadia. However in 1927 this name was changed to the Hotel Richmond. A few upgrades later, it is still extant in 2010. (Information from J.L. Hoad, 'Hotels and publicans in South Australia', 1999.) [On back of photograph] 'Acre 40 / Rundle Street, north side / 1882-84 / On the right is Elder Street. Right side of hotel is 2 yards west of Twin St.'


George and Jane Glass
PORTRAIT: George and Jane Glass of Hookina; Jane was Postmistress from 1895, George worked on the railway and roadbuilding; Glass Gorge near Blinman was named after him.


Laying foundation stone for Cornell Chalet at Angorichina Hostel
The laying of the foundation stone for Cornell Chalet at Angorichina Hostel. L-R: Mr. R. Cakey of Blinman; Mr. P.W.E. Culley; Mr.F. Morely; Mr. W.G. Muller and Mr. C.H.L. Craigee.