Find • Sweet, Samuel White, 1825-1886 • Results 1 to 30 of 1,127

Adelaide Arcade

Adelaide Arcade

Captain Sweet's premises in the Adelaide Arcade, off Rundle Street, south side. The show window displays framed photographs taken by Captain Sweet Landscape Photographer

Sweet Collection folders, volume 6

Sweet Collection folders, volume 6

Volume 6 in a collection of photographs by Captain Samuel Sweet, arranged in six folders. Each photograph in Folders 1-5 and some in Folder 6 have separate records in the catalogue and have been previously digitised. By searching on Collection: Sweet Collection, these records can be drawn together. Additional photographs in Folder 6 can be viewed by taking the browse album link attached to the record B 72483/6.

Samuel White Sweet

Samuel White Sweet

[General description] A full-length portrait of a bearded Samuel White Sweet, standing with his right hand resting on an elaborately carved table. He is wearing a cap and double breasted jacket and holding a furled umbrella in his left hand. He left his career as a Master Mariner in the British Navy to become one of Australia's first great outdoor photographers.

Samuel White Sweet

Samuel White Sweet

[General description] Head and shoulders portrait of Samuel White Sweet. He wears a double breasted jacket and a colourful cravat and sports mutton chop whiskers. He was a sea captain who retired from the sea in 1875 and opened up a photographic studio in Adelaide. He travelled through South Australia in his horse-drawn darkroom photographing landscapes, outback stations and homesteads. A large collection of his work is held in the South Australian Archives.

Samuel White Sweet

Samuel White Sweet

Portrait of Samuel White Sweet, seated with his left hand resting on a table.

Papers of Samuel Sweet

Papers of Samuel Sweet

Papers (copies only of originals held in England) consisting of certificates and references. See below for details of items.

Samuel W. Sweet : SUMMARY RECORD

Samuel W. Sweet : SUMMARY RECORD

Records of Captain Samuel White Sweet consisting of photographic images, together with letters and certificates received by Samuel White Sweet and by Elizabeth Sweet, nee Tilly (1859-1873).

Dean Russell's funeral procession from St Pauls

Dean Russell's funeral procession from St Pauls

Funeral procession exiting St Paul's Church and crowds gathered for the funeral for Alexander Russell, Dean of Adelaide, who died in 1886. (Sweet Adelaide).

Dean Russell's funeral at St Pauls

Dean Russell's funeral at St Pauls

Crowds gathered and view of horses and buggies waiting in Flinders Street during the funeral for Alexander Russell, Dean of Adelaide, who died in 1886. (Sweet Adelaide).

Dean Russell's funeral procession from St Pauls

Dean Russell's funeral procession from St Pauls

Crowds gathered at the corner of North Terrace and King William Street as the funeral procession for Alexander Russell passes. Horse tram 82 is visible in the foreground. (Sweet Adelaide).

Laying foundation stone for the Exhibition Building

Laying foundation stone for the Exhibition Building

Crowd assembled for the laying of the foundation stone for the Jubilee Exhibition Building 21 June 1886. Official guests are on a raised platform above which flags are flying. A researcher has suggested that this photograph may have been taken after 1901 because of the flags which appear to be the official national flag of Australia, which was designed and came into use after Federation in 1901. However, this flag design may have been a precursor to the national flag as the Southern Cross constellation has been used to represent Australia since the early days of British settlement, and each of the stars has five points, unlike the national flag design, in which the stars in the Southern Cross constellation had between five and nine points, while the Commonwealth or Federation Star originally had six points.

Railway Station Adelaide

Railway Station Adelaide

Adelaide Railway Station. (Sweet Adelaide 50).

Wagon of wool, 1000 pounds worth

Wagon of wool, 1000 pounds worth

Wagon, fully laden with wool bales, with team of eight horses, probably at Bungaree Station. (Sweet Adelaide 632).

North Adelaide

North Adelaide

Behind the houses and gardens of Stanley Street is the open expanse of parkland. The city can be seen further in the distance. In the centre right a building is under construction. [On back of photograph] '1875-79. Looking south from the north side of Stanley Street. The extreme left is 41 1/2 yards east of New Street. Critical factors in determination of date are the white clock face of the G.P.O. and the presence of the old bridge on the Frome Road. This is the central portion of a panorama of three views of which B 1005 is the right portion and B 9202, the left.' (Sweet Adelaide 378).

Carriage and pair of white horses

Carriage and pair of white horses

Carriage and pair of white horses. The driver is wearing coachman's livery and a top hat.

White Hart Hotel, Hindley street

White Hart Hotel, Hindley street

White Hart Hotel, south side of Hindley Street east corner of Peel Street, frontage is 13 yards. The White Hart Hotel existed from 1840 and was also known as Volunteer. It was demolished in 1973. At the time of this photograph the proprietor was FW August Klauer.

South Australian views: album

South Australian views: album

Album titled 'South Australian views', with some photographs attributable to the photographer Captain Samuel White Sweet. Views include street scenes in Adelaide, the Botanic Gardens, Victoria Square, Mitcham, Glen Osmond, Morialta, Waterfall Gully, Clarendon, Eden Hills, Glenelg, Port Elliott, Naracoorte Caves, Mount Gambier and Lakes, Melrose, Broken Hill mines and River Murray. See 'more information tab' for further details of individual photographs. A small collection of loose photographs was found in the back of this album. To see details of these, go to B 72112/1-35.

Grave of Captain Samuel Sweet

Grave of Captain Samuel Sweet

Grave of Captain Samuel White Sweet. Captain Sweet died of Apoplexy at Riverton on 4 January 1886 and his funeral was conducted at the North Road Cemetery on 5 January 1886.

Adelaide and the Adelaide Hills: album of views

Adelaide and the Adelaide Hills: album of views

Album of views taken in Adelaide and the Adelaide Hills, with some photographs attributable to the photographer Captain Samuel White Sweet. Views include street scenes in and around Adelaide showing prominent buildings and the Botanic Gardens, Glenelg and Port Adelaide, as well as Norton's Summit, Waterfall Gully, Morialta, and Bridgewater in the Adelaide hills.

Mitcham

Mitcham

Woman with an umbrella pictured on the roadway under large gums near the corner of Old Belair Road and Evans Avenue, Mitcham, marked 'Sweet Adelaide 584'. A researcher has suggested that the woman may be Elizabeth Sweet, wife of photographer Samuel Sweet. See also B 3723 and B 43123 for other photographs taken by Samuel Sweet, featuring his wife.

Loose photographs

Loose photographs

Photographs taken by Captain Samuel Sweet across many locations in South Australia and the Northern Territory. Many are marked 'Sweet Adelaide' with a number, and sometimes an anchor is drawn. Some have also been stamped, 'Captn Sweet Adelaide, landscape photographer' in the lower right corner. A number of photographs in the collection have not yet been confirmed as being taken by Captain Sweet. To see details of the individual photographs, search on Archival number PRG 742/5/1-202.

Bridge workers, Murray Bridge

Bridge workers, Murray Bridge

The men working on the construction of the Bridge taking a break. The Adelaide to the Victorian border line is 60 miles from Adelaide and the bridge had 5 spans of 121 feet each, and 23 spans of 60 feet each. The copy in Sweet Collection folder 4 has Sweet signature, (Sweet Adelaide 429). The bridge was completed in 1879 and by 1886 it carried the railway line as well. The increasing weight of rolling stock meant that a new rail bridge was built in 1925

Album presented to the Revd A.G. Rawstorne

Album presented to the Revd A.G. Rawstorne

Volume 1 of two large photographic albums presented 'to the Reverend A. G. Rawstorne, M.A. / in memory of his three years of busy work / and bright useful life / in / South Australia / with much affection and gratitude / from / the Bishop and Mrs Kennion. / Bishop's Court / N. Adelaide / Jan. 11th 1886. / My pulses therefore beat again / for other friends that once I met / nor can it suit me to forget / the mighty hopes that makes us men. / Tennyson. In mem. cant.85'. The album contains 111 Sweet photographs, each with a brief caption. [Individual photos from the album can also be viewed by doing an ARCHIVAL NUMBER search on SRG 94/2/13. The second volume can be found at SRG 94/2/14.]

Government Offices, Victoria Square

Government Offices, Victoria Square

Government offices, Victoria Square. East side. 1883-1886. (Sweet Adelaide 71) The octagonal tower of the Unitarian Church can be seen on the northen side of Wakefield Street around the corner from the Torrens Building. The Torrens Building was designed by Melbourne architect Michael Egan. The gardens in Victoria Square are contained behind iron railings.

Album of photographs of early Adelaide

Album of photographs of early Adelaide

ALBUM: Volume of 50 photographs of early Adelaide. To see individual images do a NUMBER search on B 58005/1-50.

South Australian views: album

South Australian views: album

Portrait of six aboriginal people at a campsite near the river. Men are in western dress and standing to look at the camera. Two women are sitting on blankets on the ground. There is a tent to the right and three dogs lying on the ground at the camp. One man is fishing with a wooden spear on the edge of the river. Location unknown, possibly River Murray.

Saint Peter's College at Hackney

Saint Peter's College at Hackney

[General description] Saint Peter's College at Hackney.Young students dressed in uniform and hats are standing on or near the terrace. The three storey building holds an imposing position in front of the school playing fields. A rustic wooden fence encloses a garden next to the main school building. [On back of photograph] St. Peter's College 1872-86. Sweet Adelaide 852.

Saltia Hotel, Saltia

Saltia Hotel, Saltia

Saltia Hotel. David Lithgow was the licensee in the early 1880s. Copy in Sweet Collection folder 5 has Sweet signature (Sweet Adelaide 397). Saltia was a town between Port Augusta and Quorn. The hotel as built in 1859 to service the bullock drivers and the proprietor was David Lithgow. A school was established in 1864 with twenty students. Evening classes were available for students who could not attend during the daytime. By 1880 there were forty three students attending the school. Thomas Lees house was demolished to make way for the railwayline and later the town died as there was no need for the bullock teams to stop at Saltia. A famous son of Saltia was John Maslin (1826-1908) who was a sheep property owner.

Strathalbyn

Strathalbyn

View of Strathalbyn. Copy in Sweet Collection folder 5 has Sweet signature (Sweet Adelaide 383). View of old track and ford to cross River Angas before St Andrew's Bridge installed. Probably taken from the Southern Argus building looking east. St Andrew's Church and bridge in background. (information supplied by a researcher).

Largs Pier Hotel

Largs Pier Hotel

[General description] Constructed by the Largs Bay Land and Investment Company in 1882, this three-storied, white-arched building was built of stone with rendered masonry. The architects were Ernest H. Bayer and Latham A. Whithall. Its roof features two cupolas topped with widow's walks designed for watching ships. People posing for the photographer in front of the hotel and on its balconies were probably the hotel manager's family and staff. [On back of photograph] 'Largs Hotel / 1883-86'. (Sweet Adelaide 113).