Find • PRG 1373 • Results 2,101 to 2,130 of 4,706

The 'Salamis' wrecked at Malden Island, South Pacific

The 'Salamis' wrecked at Malden Island, South Pacific

The iron barque (ex ship) 'Salamis', 1130 tons, wrecked at Malden Island, South Pacific [iron ship (later barque) 1130 tons, ON70443, 221.6 x 36.0 x 21.7. Built 1875 (5) Walter Hood and Co., Aberdeen: George Thompson and Co., registered Aberdeen. Sold to Norwegians, c.1900 and reputedly it was these owners who reduced her to a barque. Wrecked 20 May 1905, Malden Island, South Pacific, belonging to the Republic of Kiribati. Malden Island, sometimes called Independence Island in the nineteenth century, was a source for guano. The ship was built for the triangular run, outward to Australia with passengers and general cargo, thence to China, probably with coal, then home to England with tea, but actually arrived too late to participate in the tea trades and spent most of her active career in the Australian trades, taking wool cargoes back to UK].

The 'Silverstream' in an unidentified port

The 'Silverstream' in an unidentified port

The steel barque 'Silverstream', 1242 tons, in an unidentified port [steel 3 mast barque, 1242 gross tons, ON87794, 226.0 x 36.4 x 21.9. Built 1891 (2) CJ Bigger, Londonderry. Owners: WP Herdman, registered Belfast]. A researcher has identified the port as Wellington, New Zealand. The 'Silverstream' arrived there on 9 November 1982.

The 'Thurland Castle' moored in an unidentified port

The 'Thurland Castle' moored in an unidentified port

The iron barque (ex ship) 'Thurland Castle', 1306 tons, moored in an unidentified port [iron ship later barque, 1306 tons, ON56962, 226.1 x 34.8 x 21.5. Owners:Lancaster Shipowners Co. (J Chambers and Co. managers) registered Lancaster].

The 'Trongate' in an unidentified port

The 'Trongate' in an unidentified port

The iron barque 'Trongate', 987 tons, in an unidentified port [iron barque, 987 tons, ON78598, 204.0 x 33.6 x 20.0. Built 1878 (4) Dobie and Co., Glasgow: WD Denny, registered Glasgow, then Andrew Weir and Co.]

The 'Unicorn' docked in an unidentified port

The 'Unicorn' docked in an unidentified port

The iron barque 'Unicorn', 499 tons, docked in an unidentified port [iron 3 mast barque, 519 gross tons, ON48544, 163.0 x 27.0 x 16.2. Built 1863 (9) Richardson, Duck and Co., Stockton. Owners: Gillespy and Scott, registered London, later PH Dixson and Co., registered Glasgow].

The 'Thelma' under sail

The 'Thelma' under sail

The iron barque 'Thelma', unknown tonnage, under sail.

The 'West Australian' in an unidentified port

The 'West Australian' in an unidentified port

The iron barque 'West Australian', 596 tons, in an unidentified port [iron 3 mast barque, 596 gross tons, ON72455, 164.7 x 29.3 x 17.1. Built 1876 (1) JL Thompson, Sunderland and named 'GBS', owned by George B Sully, registered Bridgewater. Sold c.1880 and renamed, now owned by Bethell and Co., registered London. NB: Two vessels of this name and similar size].

The 'Wychwood' in an unidentified port

The 'Wychwood' in an unidentified port

The iron barque 'Wychwood', 1272 tons, in an unidentified port [iron 3 mast barque, 1272 gross tons. ON95290, 226.5 x 34.9 x 20.6. Built 1889 (6) J Laing, Sunderland. Owners: RH Gayner, registered Sunderland].

The 'Holywood' in an unidentified port

The 'Holywood' in an unidentified port

The steel barque 'Holywood', 1633 tons, in an unidentified port [steel 3 mast barque, 1633 gross tons. ON102617. 256.5 x 38.2 x 21.4. Built 1893 (8) Ailsa Sailing Boat Co. Troon. Owners: TC Guthrie, registered Glasgow. Renamed 'Acadia' c.1909].

The 'Warwick Castle' in an unidentified port

The 'Warwick Castle' in an unidentified port

The iron barque 'Warwick Castle', 1158 tons, in an unidentified port [iron ship, c.1880 re-rigged as 3 mast barque, 1208 gross tons, ON47486. 209.4 x 34.1 x 22.3. Built 1863 (5) R Napier and Sons, Glasgow. Owners: Donald Currie, registered Liverpool. c.1877 Barque Warwick Castle Ltd (Woodside and Workman) registered Belfast].

The 'City of Agra' with unfurled sails

The 'City of Agra' with unfurled sails

The iron barque 'City of Agra', 1034 tons, with unfurled sails. [iron ship, c.1890 re-rigged as 3 mast barque. 1074 gross tons. ON29149. 213.6 x 34.7 x 20.6. Built 1860 (9) Pile, Spence and Co. West Hartlepool. Owners Coupland Bros. registered Liverpool, later J. Blyth and Co. Liverpool c.1890 to Norwegian owners without change of name.]

The 'Cormorant' in an unidentified port

The 'Cormorant' in an unidentified port

The iron barque 'Cormorant', 1091 tons, in an unidentified port. [iron ship, 1073 gross tons, c.1890 converted to 3 mast barque, 1091 gross tons. ON29972. 211.4 x 33.6 x 21.6. Built 1865 (10) T. Vernon and Sons. Liverpool. Owners WJ Myers, Sons and Co. Registered Liverpool c.1890 to Norwegian owners without change of name. Benjamin Williams was the Master of the Cormorant at various times between 1875 and 1882].

The 'County of Anglesea' at Port Adelaide

The 'County of Anglesea' at Port Adelaide

The iron barque 'County of Anglesea', 1103 tons, at Port Adelaide. [iron barque, 1103 tons, ON76506, 214.4 x 35.2 x 21.2. Built 1877 (4) R&J Evans and Co. Liverpool. Owners: W Thomas and Co. registered Liverpool. Sold 1905 to Russian owners without change of name. Sold and converted to a hulk at Auckland in 1911, the property of Union SS Co. Re-rigged as a sailing vessel; in 1918 and renamed Gladbrook. Once more converted to a hulk in 1921, this time at Suva for Union Line. Taken to Auckland in 1924 and the hull abandoned on Rangitoto Island Dec. 19, 1945] See Union Line by IJ Farquhar, 1968.

The 'Corryvrechan' anchored in an unidentified port

The 'Corryvrechan' anchored in an unidentified port

The steel barque 'Corryvrechan', 1356 tons, anchored in an unidentified port. [steel barque, 1356 tons, ON92871. 240.0 x 36.2 x 21.5. Built 1885 (9). R. Duncan and Co. Port Glasgow. Owners H Hogarth, registered Ardrossan].

The 'Cambus Wallace' anchored in an unidentified harbour

The 'Cambus Wallace' anchored in an unidentified harbour

The steel barque 'Cambus Wallace', 1651 tons, anchored in an unidentified harbour [steel barque 1651 tons. ON? Built 1894 Russell and Co. Port Glasgow. Wrecked on maiden voyage 2 September 1894 on Stradbroke Island Queensland when inward bound from UK with a cargo of salt and general goods].

The 'Candida' wrecked at Wardang Island

The 'Candida' wrecked at Wardang Island

The iron barque 'Candida', 1279 tons, wrecked at Wardang Island [iron ship, 1279 tons, ON70990, 226.0 x 36.1 x 22.1. Built 1875 (9) Whitehaven Shipbuilding Co. Whitehaven. Owners: William Lowden registered Liverpool then Lowden, Edgar and Co. c. 1890 W. Lowden and Co and rigged as barque. Stranded at Wardang Island South Australia 1898, later refloated and taken to Port Adelaide and converted into a hulk].

The 'Peep O'Day' at Tahiti

The 'Peep O'Day' at Tahiti

The iron barque 'Peep O'Day', 512 tons, at Tahiti [iron 3 mast barque, 512 gross tons, ON44525. 154.0 x 27.5 x 17.6. Built 1863 (1) Marshall Bros. Newcastle upon Tyne. Owners: ET Gourlay, registered Sunderland; later John J Holdsworth, registered London. Became 'Puck' of Laeisz Line] [ex 'Peep O'Day' of 1863, as 'Puck' owned by F. Laiesz, registered Hamburg].

The 'Inverkip' at anchor

The 'Inverkip' at anchor

The steel barque 'Inverkip', 1466 tons, at anchor [steel 3 mast barque, 1466 gross tons. ON99789, 235.8 x 36.0 x 21.7. Built 1893 (2) Russell and Co. Port Glasgow. Owners: Ship Inverkip Co. Ltd. (W Walker and Co.) registered Greenoch. Sunk in collision with the sailing ship 'Loch Carron' about 11.20pm August 13, 1904, about 60 miles off the Fastnet while the 'Inverkip' was on her way to Queenstown with wheat from Australia, for orders. Only one survivor. The 'Loch Carron' managed to make port].

The 'Ironside' at anchor

The 'Ironside' at anchor

The iron barque 'Ironside', 899 tons, at anchor [iron ship, later re-rigged as 3 mast barque, 899 gross tons, ON29768. 185.0 x 32.7 x 20.4. Built 1861 (4) TR Oswald, Sunderland. Owners: Temperleys, Carter and Drake, registered London].

The 'Carleton' anchored in an unidentified port

The 'Carleton' anchored in an unidentified port

The steel barque 'Carleton', 1358 tons, anchored in an unidentified port. [steel barque, 1358 tons, ON81828, 234.0 x 37.5 x 23.4. Built 1881 (11) J. Reid and Co. Port Glasgow. Owners J. Kerr and Co. registered Greenock, c. 1897 sold Italy and renamed Mario].

The 'Cardigan Castle' anchored in an unidentified port

The 'Cardigan Castle' anchored in an unidentified port

The iron barque 'Cardigan Castle', 1233 tons, anchored in an unidentified port [iron ship, later barque, 1233 tons, ON63296, 228.0 x 35.7 x 21.6. Built 1870 (7) R & J Evans and Co. Liverpool. Owners Richards, Mills and Co. reg. Liverpool, mid 1880's to L. Davies and Co. reg. Liverpool].

The 'Parknook' in an unidentified port

The 'Parknook' in an unidentified port

The iron barque 'Parknook', 835 tons, in an unidentified port [iron 3 mast barque, 835 gross tons, ON69720, 198.7 x 32.2 x 19.5. Built 1876 (6) Whitehaven SB Co,. Ltd. Whitehaven. Owners: R Conway and Co., registered Whitehaven].

The 'Earlscourt' in the River Avon at Bristol

The 'Earlscourt' in the River Avon at Bristol

The iron barque 'Earlscourt', 1166 tons, in the River Avon at Bristol [iron 3 mast barque, 1166 gross tons. ON91263. 214.6 x 35.1 x 21.2. Built 1885 (9) Russell and Co. Port Glasgow. Owners Stevenson and Ferguson, registered Greenock].

The 'Lake Erie' in Port Adelaide

The 'Lake Erie' in Port Adelaide

The iron barque 'Lake Erie', 988 tons, [iron 3 mast barque, 988 gross tons. ON60397. 202.4 x 33.6 x 20.3. Built 1868 (12) Barclay, Curle and Co. Glasgow. Owners: The Canada Shipping Co. (of Montreal) registered Glasgow; 1874 registry transferred by the owners to Montreal. Dec. 1891 - AH Turnbull (42) and H Munro (22) registered Lyttelton. 1902 sold to foreigners (Italian subjects)]. A British researcher has suggested that as the name on the warehouse in the background is MESSRS. R. J. COOMBS & CO. and that they had "one of the finest and best-lighted warehouses" in Adelaide, the location is Port Adelaide.

The 'Norna' at Port Adelaide with Christmas decorations

The 'Norna' at Port Adelaide with Christmas decorations

The iron barque 'Norna', 1111 tons, at Port Adelaide with Christmas decorations [iron barque, 1111 tons, ON62074, 218.5 x 34.8 x 21.0. Built 1868 (10) Barclay, Curle and Co., Glasgow. Owners: J Hendry, registered Greenock, later Henry, Ferguson and Co., then Norna Ship Co. Ltd. (Ferguson and Letham): c.1896 Western and Brazilian Telegraph Co. Ltd. and converted into a hulk at Bahia Bay in July 1899].

The 'Crummock Water' in an unidentified port

The 'Crummock Water' in an unidentified port

The iron barque 'Crummock Water', 1033 tons, in an unidentified port [iron 3 mast barque, 1033 gross, ON78777, 216.0 x 34.4 x 20.4. Built 1878 (4) Whitehaven SB Co. Whitehaven. Owners Jackson Metcalf and Co. registered Liverpool].

The 'County of Pembroke' in an unidentified port

The 'County of Pembroke' in an unidentified port

The iron barque 'County of Pembroke', 1098 tons, in an unidentified port [iron barque, 1098 tons, ON84171, 221.5 x 35.0 x 20.9. Built 1881 (10) W. Doxford and Sons, Sunderland, W. Thomas and Co. Registered Liverpool].

The 'Collingrove' at Port Adelaide

The 'Collingrove' at Port Adelaide

The composite barque 'Collingrove', 987 tons, at Port Adelaide. [composite ship reduced to a barque c.1890. 861 gross tons. ON60990. 181.4 x 33.5 x 19.6. Built 1869 (7). J. Laing, Sunderland. Owners W. Stevens, registered London early 1870s to AL Elder and Co. About 1900 sold to owners in Shanghai. A regular visitor to Port Adelaide from the time she was built until the late 1890's.]

The 'County Antrim' wrecked at Ninety Mile Beach

The 'County Antrim' wrecked at Ninety Mile Beach

The steel barque 'County Antrim', 1199 tons, wrecked at Ninety Mile Beach on January 12, 1897. [steel 3 mast barque, 1241 gross tons. ON96307, 226.0 x 36.4 x 21.9. Built 1889 (5) CJ Bigger Londonderry, owners RJ Swyny registered Liverpool. Wrecked on the Ninety Mile Beach Jan 12, 1897 whilst on a voyage from England to Sydney. All saved]. A researcher has provided the following information: "The 'County Antrim' was wrecked on the shore of Jean Teychenne's property. The crew were saved and given shelter in the barns of the farm. The crew went back on board and extracted timber from the captain's cabin, from which they made a small footstool which they presented to Jean. The footstool has a parchment attached underneath expressing the thanks of the crew".

The 'Clan MacLeod' anchored in Auckland Harbour, New Zealand

The 'Clan MacLeod' anchored in Auckland Harbour, New Zealand

The iron barque 'Clan MacLeod', 671 tons, anchored in Auckland Harbour, N.Z., with the tug 'Admiral' alongside [iron barque, 671 tons, ON68086. 179.5 x 31.3 x 17.5. Built 1874 (2) Bartram, Haswell and Co. Sunderland. Owners: Thomas Dunlop, registered Glasgow, then A. Rodger, later Sir RW Cameron. Sold in 1900 Joseph James Craig, merchant of Auckland and in 1901 registered at Auckland. In 1905 the name of the vessel was changed to 'James Craig'. In 1911 sold to British New Guinea Development Co and registered in Sydney, later to H. Jones and Co. Ltd of Hobart and registered in Hobart in 1921. Eventually became a coal hulk and when no longer required was abandoned in Recherche Bay, Derwent River, Tasmania. Subsequently purchased by a Sydney syndicate and underwent a refit in 1977, prepatory to being taken to Sydney as a centrepiece for a marine museum. It now sails in Sydney Harbour as well as undertaking trips to Tasmania (as at 2018).