Mr. C. F. Newman's Nursery. In 1856 CF Newman and his young bride cleared land in the District of Highercomb to establish a nursery. By 1880 the nursery was a show piece of the colony listing 300 orchid varieties, 600 rose varieties and 300 different fruit trees. Today the ruins of Newmans Nursery show the location of heated glass houses and later the land was devastated by floods, bushfires, used as a dairy farm and for sheep grazing. The present day nursery on North East Road was established in 1925.